Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:53 AM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Once the car is revealed, I will revisit this thread and reading all the speculations. It will be hilarious.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
Can you tell us how much they cost and how long they last ??
$9k will get you the brake system. Then you can drop down to 18" wheels.
They are amazing. I typically get 2-3 race weekends out of a set of rotors. That is 3-4 days of hard track each weekend.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
DeMan Motorsports can do that for you using other Porsche parts. There were videos posted a ?year? ago about a group visit to DeMan - very interesting to hear their story
BGB has been fitting GT3 callipers to the Cayman for years. It is a nice upgrade.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
BGB has been fitting GT3 callipers to the Cayman for years. It is a nice upgrade.
We have a bracket made for putting 997.2 GT3 calipers on 981/991s and 987/997s which work with an 18" wheel. You can also purchase the complete PFC brake system that goes on the 991 Cups and 981 Clubsports. The calipers are awesome and we rebuild them roughly every 6 events, installing new seals and replacement bits. The single biggest advantage I see of that PFC setup is the pad thickness; the rotor life is actually quite nice also. On the Clubsport we run in IMSA we run Friction One pads from RS1 and haven't looked back since first trying them. The pad life is excellent and it's a better fit with the ABS jump in at the threshold.

And now back to 718 GT4 speculation, our regularly schedule program.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
$9k will get you the brake system. Then you can drop down to 18" wheels.
They are amazing. I typically get 2-3 race weekends out of a set of rotors. That is 3-4 days of hard track each weekend.
Would that be a more worthwhile venture vs. buying the entire Essex kit?

Old 05-03-2018, 12:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Would that be a more worthwhile venture vs. buying the entire Essex kit?
I am not sure of the cost for Essex kit, however the PFC is the benchmark.
Realistically, for a street car the GT3 upgrade would be my choice. Easy to get pads and discs.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Have you seen the DeMan 4.0L? Their dyno chart suggests torque at 4k revs is 305ft/lb v 250 stock. It's not all about peak numbers
That's very impressive if accurate, but it's a little bit misleading to think that it is due to the displacement increase. If whatever techniques that achieved these numbers were applied to the 3.8L motor, then the results should be the same across the board less 5%.

Torque and Displacement are basically proportional (5% more displacement nets 5% more torque at all RPM - and the motor without the stroker crank should be theoretically capable of higher revs and more power per liter). Modifications can obviously be applied to either motor to make the numbers look to be independent from displacement changes.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Have you seen the DeMan 4.0L? Their dyno chart suggests torque at 4k revs is 305ft/lb v 250 stock. It's not all about peak numbers

http://demanmotorsport.com/services/...-0-gt4-upgades

Perhaps you drive a 4.0L torquey car differently?
That's very impressive if accurate, but it's a little bit misleading to think that it is due to the displacement increase. If whatever techniques that achieved these numbers were applied to the 3.8L motor, then the results should be the same across the board less 5%.

Torque and Displacement are basically proportional (5% more displacement nets 5% more torque at all RPM - and the motor without the stroker crank should be theoretically capable of higher revs and more power per liter). Modifications can obviously be applied to either motor to make the numbers look to be independent from displacement changes.
+1

When you look at the chart provided you will see the following:

Complete and Dyno Tested it includes:
  • 403HP and 340FT/Lb of TQ at the wheels!
  • 4.0L Stroker kit
  • 82mm Throttle Body
  • Headers
  • Mufflers if desired
  • In-house Custom Dyno Tuning

In a way thats comparing apples to oranges. Even just adding aftermarket headers to the OEM 3.8 shows differences in hp and ft-lbs from factory specs.

Show me a dyno with just the 4.0 upgrade vs the OEM 3.8 and all the other parts stock. Or in lieu of show me a 3.8 with all that added stuff compared to that 4.0 and its added stuff.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

+1

• 4.0L Stroker kit
  • 82mm Throttle Body
  • Headers
  • Mufflers if desired

In a way thats comparing apples to oranges. Even just adding aftermarket headers to the OEM 3.8 shows differences in hp and ft-lbs from factory specs.

Show me a dyno with just the 4.0 upgrade vs the OEM 3.8 and all the other parts stock. Or in lieu of show me a 3.8 with all that added stuff compared to that 4.0 and its added stuff.
[/quote]

These are all good points. It's probably worth mentioning that the 4.0L upgrade Rick and I both sell is a stroke change which produces more torque than horsepower relative to a bore increase which would make more power than torque. This board never disappoints when it comes to information. Keep it up!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

I’ve read every single page of this thread & love all the speculation!

Just going to add some fuel to the fire for fun because I haven’t seen anyone post this article yet........

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-9.com20180503

Apparently not only is the 4.0L here to stay, but Porsche is working on decreasing emissions and bumping the redline to 9500rpm. Maybe the GT4 gets this motor

Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
+1

• 4.0L Stroker kit
  • 82mm Throttle Body
  • Headers
  • Mufflers if desired

There's also an increase in compression and the bigger tb would imply a different intake manifold since I don't think you can just slap a bigger tb on the stock intake. It's really a combination of upgrades that makes all this work, focusing on just the displacement bump alone can be a little misleading.

FWIW my 4l ticked over 5k miles this weekend at Smokies and is running great!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
There's also an increase in compression and the bigger tb would imply a different intake manifold since I don't think you can just slap a bigger tb on the stock intake. It's really a combination of upgrades that makes all this work, focusing on just the displacement bump alone can be a little misleading.

FWIW my 4l ticked over 5k miles this weekend at Smokies and is running great!
and sounded ridiculously delicious doing it!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajw45
There's also an increase in compression...
This is one of the few ways to get more torque with an NA motor... Unfortunately, there's not much room for improvement over stock without using better fuel (and a custom ECU tune to match)...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is one of the few ways to get more torque with an NA motor... Unfortunately, there's not much room for improvement over stock without using better fuel (and a custom ECU tune to match)...
And we get ripped-off here in California where premium fuel is only 91.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
And we get ripped-off here in California where premium fuel is only 91.
93 Octane doesn't make much difference. To get much more torque, you need significantly higher compression and octane (like triple-digit race fuel).

I use E85 in my DD Evo IX in the Summer with 24 psi of boost and a special map. That gives great torque per liter (435 ft-lbs from 2.0 Liters). E85 costs $1.85 per gallon (Govt subsidies make it cheap) and is around 106 octane...

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?