Sponsored by: APR

Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thank you, just saying there's interest for future product expansions

I wish I had you to help respond to the reviewers of my scientific papers. (... Yargk clearly stated on page 5 that...)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i think it's very easy

1. light
2. cheap
3. strong
yes i want all three, b/c many other well established wheel makers can deliver two of the above three already, there is no need for more wheel choices unless you can deliver all three.

pls test on YOUR own porsche to be sure

1. clearance of PCCB
2. clearance of fender liner, wheel arch lip, all control arms and control arm bolts
3. clearance should be maintained at all conceivable alignment settings and ride height

not easy to do, but you did ask for helpful opinions. the survey was not particularly useful. but if you can respond to all the above, you will eat up OZ, RAYS, BBS, FORGLINE, FIKSE and anyone everyone else. otherwise, it's just another wheel
Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Took the survey.

Would love to see more reasonable priced DURABLE wheels for the track. The only brand I've seen so far that fits the bill for me has been the OZ wheels.

Color me skeptical that forged wheels are worth the extra cost. My own personal experience has been that nonforged wheels like the OEM GT4 wheels and OZ wheels have been much more durable and reliable than the OEM forged GT3 wheels and forgeline wheels which have had multiple bends.

I'm hoping to see some 19" GT3 fitment options when my .2 arrives in April!
After seeing a stock GT4 wheel with the center broken from the barrel and bent wheels I'll take the Forgeline wheels any day. There's a reason for the pro teams are using Forgeline.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 618 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I'm interested in 9X20 ET56 and 11X20 ET50 durable lightweight and reasonably priced.
Thank you, just saying there's interest for future product expansions
Thanks for sharing your preferences - although that diameter may not go into production until Q3/4 2018, enthusiast desires are always welcomed and helpful to future production. I always like to compare fellow enthusiast's desired specifications to the APEX proposed specifications I've compiled on my spreadsheet(s).

Originally Posted by mooty
i think it's very easy

1. light
2. cheap
3. strong
yes i want all three, b/c many other well established wheel makers can deliver two of the above three already, there is no need for more wheel choices unless you can deliver all three.

1. clearance of PCCB
2. clearance of fender liner, wheel arch lip, all control arms and control arm bolts
3. clearance should be maintained at all conceivable alignment settings and ride height

not easy to do, but you did ask for helpful opinions. the survey was not particularly useful. but if you can respond to all the above, you will eat up OZ, RAYS, BBS, FORGLINE, FIKSE and anyone everyone else. otherwise, it's just another wheel
If money is no object, there are a few reputable options that very well may be lighter - but in our 10+ years of motorsports presence, we have always sought to serve a different market. While we comparatively may not be the lightest, we've encompassed the trifecta of characteristics; a quality, strong, budget-friendly, and lightweight wheel with off-the-shelf availability in various chassis optimized fitments perfect for track abuse.

I appreciate your guys' responses and feedback. The survey is very helpful and beneficial for our purpose. Between FEA optimization, various engineering quirks, and JWL/VIA testing, we're testing actual physical wheels on multiple chassis with varying suspension modifications, brakes (OEM & aftermarket), ride heights, camber/caster, tire sizes, etc...EI: (2) 997, 987, (2) 981, 991, and a 986.

Just this morning, we test fit an 18" front wheel over the 997 RS' PCCB 380mm 6pot brakes - which they cleared!

The car we test fit on can be seen below in our photo studio.

Please note that the wheels pictured are not the APEX that we test fit. They're "Champion" which the owner is currently running.

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 11-04-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Added comma
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i think it's very easy

1. light
2. cheap
3. strong

1. clearance of PCCB

+1
Old 11-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Thanks for sharing your preferences - although that diameter may not go into production until Q3/4 2018, enthusiast desires are always welcomed and helpful to future production. I always like to compare fellow enthusiast's desired specifications to the APEX proposed specifications I've compiled on my spreadsheet(s).
Awesome, I waited a year for the car, I can wait a year for the wheels.

To add to the above, even if you work out fitments, the ability to do completely custom offsets will be very important to this community. Everybody wants to do their own thing. Also, get your wheels on as many Porsches doing 20+ track days a year as possible so that you build a reputation in this community for wheels that don't bend or crack. If they do bend or crack on track and it's not completely driver's error, replace as quickly as possible. Everyone will be running your wheels.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Last year I heard Apex was looking to get into the Porsche market and was glad to hear it. I ran their ARC-8s on my E46 M3 until I put BBKs on all four corners, then moved on to two sets of EC-7s, which are my current track wheel.

For my GT4, a 19" with the proper width and offset to accommodate 265 and 295 tires, and that easily clears the steel brakes would be perfect. Price them above the OZ option but undercut the BBS and HREs of the world, and I think the community will be well served.

I'll get around to taking the survey but those are my quick thoughts.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 PM
iyee318
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD experience

I used to track a 135i. It was modified with ast coilovers. I called apex wheels and emailed them to ask what offsets and size they would recommend after giving them all the details of my car(they were happy to help and advise). When I received the wheels they didn’t fit(as in a portion of the tire rubbed off within 2 miles of driving). I called apex and my contact with assistance. There answer was I was **** out of luck and that fitment wasn’t their problem. I told them that there was no damage to the wheel and proposed some sort of exchange with or without additional charges(since I did feel that I was at least partially responsible). They said no. I didn’t press further. I still have 4 apex arc rims sitting in my garage......I wouldn’t do business with them ever agains.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome, I waited a year for the car, I can wait a year for the wheels.

To add to the above, even if you work out fitments, the ability to do completely custom offsets will be very important to this community. Everybody wants to do their own thing. Also, get your wheels on as many Porsches doing 20+ track days a year as possible so that you build a reputation in this community for wheels that don't bend or crack. If they do bend or crack on track and it's not completely driver's error, replace as quickly as possible. Everyone will be running your wheels.
Some of our past success can be attributed to getting typically built-to-order spec'd wheels in enthusiast's hands overnight. We stock these otherwise custom offsets on the shelf so that they can reach a fellow enthusiast well before an approaching track day. For years, clients have benefitted from our wheel replacement program that not only replaces wheels in a very timely manner, but covers a large portion of the replacement cost. If you're the original owner of the set and your APEX's endure any cosmetic or structural damage (from track or otherwise) you can purchase the same wheel at a 50% discount.

Thank you for your continual feedback and support. Please feel free to keep the suggestions and insight coming!

Originally Posted by krell
Last year I heard Apex was looking to get into the Porsche market and was glad to hear it. I ran their ARC-8s on my E46 M3 until I put BBKs on all four corners, then moved on to two sets of EC-7s, which are my current track wheel.

For my GT4, a 19" with the proper width and offset to accommodate 265 and 295 tires, and that easily clears the steel brakes would be perfect. Price them above the OZ option but undercut the BBS and HREs of the world, and I think the community will be well served.

I'll get around to taking the survey but those are my quick thoughts.
I'm ecstatic to hear that you've ran our wheels in the past and are here to share your success with a vote of confidence - thank you!

That is precisely the void we'll be filling, so please share your thoughts in the survey and I'll surely keep you updated as our Porsche wheels further develop and ultimately come to fruition here shortly.

Originally Posted by iyee318
I used to track a 135i. It was modified with ast coilovers. I called apex wheels and emailed them to ask what offsets and size they would recommend after giving them all the details of my car(they were happy to help and advise). When I received the wheels they didn’t fit(as in a portion of the tire rubbed off within 2 miles of driving). I called apex and my contact with assistance. There answer was I was **** out of luck and that fitment wasn’t their problem. I told them that there was no damage to the wheel and proposed some sort of exchange with or without additional charges(since I did feel that I was at least partially responsible). They said no. I didn’t press further. I still have 4 apex arc rims sitting in my garage......I wouldn’t do business with them ever agains.
While I do not have any of the details of your transaction, I would like to thank you for your business and apologize for the negative experience on behalf of the company. I know that the 1 series chassis is very finicky when it comes to wheel fitment, as the tolerances between inner front strut and tire are very tight, and outer clearance to the fender is quite limited as well.

Prior to my employment with APEX, a staggered fitment was developed and optimized specifically for the 1 series community in an effort to offer enthusiasts wider lightweight wheels which could accommodate wider tires. It goes without saying, offsets had to be precise for the fitment to work without modifications to the vehicle. If a customer installed a tire brand or size that is wider than the recommended size, and/or a type of aftermarket suspension was installed reducing inner strut to tire clearance (ei: KW, or any progressive rate springs), spacers and possibly negative camber were then required to make the fitment work.

With that said, there shouldn't be a situation where the customer is left without a solution. If you are willing, I would like to pass your information over to my Sales Manager so that he may contact you.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Happy Friday all,

Upon hearing that APEX is entering the Porsche world, one of our former BMW clients contacted us with fantastic news; he had moved onto a beautiful Sapphire Blue GT4. He was generous enough to loan us his car to take specific measurements of the GT4 chassis, suspension geometry, brake clearance, and test fit an APEX wheel(s).

A few neat pictures can be seen below -

..."Pointing" at the LCA toe link

Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Btw Eric, the Civic Type R folks need wheels. The 20X8.5 ET60 wheel that comes with the car is heavy (29 pounds) and the 20 inch tires are expensive. Many people would be interested in a 19X8.5 wheel that's ET60 to preserve the suspension geometry so that there is no torque steer (zero scrub radius with ET60). Then they could save $200 on a set of tires and perhaps lose 40 pounds off the car! There are currently almost no wheels available for the CTR that have offsets greater than 50.

Also, there are a ton of CTR autocrossers that need an SCCA legal rim 19X8.5 with ET53 or higher. See this thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/scca-s...al-rims.13152/

If you make some 19X8.5 ET60, I'll buy a set when I get my car sometime next year.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM
kkakonn
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that you guys are getting into the porsche market. I've run arc-8's on my e46 m3 for years now and haven't had any issues. Great wheel, great quality and love the "insurance" policy you guys put forth for us track guys. Hopefully something for the carbon ceramics are in place for the future

Old 11-10-2017, 10:27 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Thanks guys , what a great news to hear that APEX are serving my GT4 ! .. I own 2 cars , PORSCHE GT4 and BMW 1M .. I will order a set for each.

APEX is the common thing between the ///M community here .. it is super reliable and well tested on my brothers E92 M3 for 3 years in a row , attending most of the track days with no single issue. Price/Quality is just the best ever.

​​​
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

YES for the center cap. because the extra weight is exactly on the hub center ! what will not even be considered as "rotation mass" , therefore, I prefer a neat look on the road rather than saving a very silly weight that is not multiplied by rotation.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Apex, thank you for making track wheels for us!!

But I had a request: could you PLEASS make the ARC-8 wheels available for 991 GT3 and 981 GT4? They look way better than the bubbles out curvey EC-7/PS-7 wheels.

ARC-8 (yes!! I would buy these 19s in a heartbeat!):

EC-7/PS-7 (nooooooo. I would never put these on a Porsche style-wise. ):

Last edited by Mech33; 11-12-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel