Sponsored by: APR

regret

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:22 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts
Default regret

Deal has been made with my dealer to take my GT4 on pre-trade awaiting a 2018 GTS allocation. I truly love the GT4, but don't drive it one bit due to work demands.

On the other hand, I have derived more pleasure from my now 10 year old Cayman S that I have been driving daily since new. The GTS would allow me to make daily use of the vehicle while still enjoying what I drive.

Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts to share? I am afraid that I am really going to regret this practical decision.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Nothing wrong with being a bit practical. But what is it about the S or GTS that makes them usable for DD but doesn’t apply to the GT4?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Need to shuttle kids.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I think you've made a very sensible decision and you'll absolutely love your GTS when it lands. I know a few folk wth GTS's and they all love them. They are a very comfortable and very fast car.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

911 GTS I suppose, right, since you need a back seat? Probably a dumb question, but I was thinking "why is he getting rid of his GT4 for a Cayman GTS..."
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
911 GTS I suppose, right, since you need a back seat? Probably a dumb question, but I was thinking "why is he getting rid of his GT4 for a Cayman GTS..."

Only reason I would trade a GT4 for a non-GT 911, is for 4 seats
Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Only reason I would trade a GT4 for a non-GT 911, is for 4 seats
In time those kids will grow and won't be able to fit in those rear seats comfortably anymore.

My buddy sold his 997 GT3 at the time and bought a 991 GTS. In short order his kids grew uncomfortable in the back and he ultimately traded in that 991 for a GT4 and picked up a sensible daily driver for shuttling the kids around.

Something to consider.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
In time those kids will grow and won't be able to fit in those rear seats comfortably anymore.

My buddy sold his 997 GT3 at the time and bought a 991 GTS. In short order his kids grew uncomfortable in the back and he ultimately traded in that 991 for a GT4 and picked up a sensible daily driver for shuttling the kids around.

Something to consider.
This.

I bought a Crewmax tundra for this purpose and other utilitarian reasons.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave

Something to consider.
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
This.

I bought a Crewmax tundra for this purpose and other utilitarian reasons.

I agree with both, I have a GMC Sierra for hauling people, tracks stuff etc.., but it sounds like he want a “fun car to drive while shuttling kids around” for now

would need to go to M2/M4 or GT350 /Camaro ZL1 or AMG coupe for real back seats as they get older & bigger
Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Deal has been made with my dealer to take my GT4 on pre-trade awaiting a 2018 GTS allocation. I truly love the GT4, but don't drive it one bit due to work demands.

On the other hand, I have derived more pleasure from my now 10 year old Cayman S that I have been driving daily since new. The GTS would allow me to make daily use of the vehicle while still enjoying what I drive.

Anyone else have a similar experience or thoughts to share? I am afraid that I am really going to regret this practical decision.
OK, I'm confused. A Cayman S is fine as a daily driver, but a GT4 is not? They are pretty much the same car! Except one has a better engine, transmission, and suspension. I'd dump the Cayman S and keep the GT4.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I, too, had a GT4 and didn't drive it as often as I wanted. Traded it almost a year ago.
'
I remember specially thinking then that I'd rather have a 991 (.1) GTS, both for practically but also for performance.

I suppose the 991.2 GTS is even higher performance, but I've driven a 991.2 C4S manual, and I just don't like the new engine feel and sound, despite the higher power and low-end torque.

For the same price, I'd take a lightly used 991.1 C2 (or C4) GTS all day long vs. a similarly configured 991.2 C2 (or C4) GTS. Same great engine as GT4, but instead of detuned, tuned UP!, with a bit more luxury and practicality.

Why not save yourself some money (and depreciation) and get a CPO 991.1 GTS instead?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

991.2 GTS offers the opportunity to own a single car that will work in nearly all scenarios.

Cayman S was fine until more than one kid needed to be shuttled. GT4 can't do that.

CPO 991.1 GTS is a sound option to be considered. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
OK, I'm confused. A Cayman S is fine as a daily driver, but a GT4 is not? They are pretty much the same car! Except one has a better engine, transmission, and suspension. I'd dump the Cayman S and keep the GT4.
Ya, I didn’t follow the logic either. Need to shuttle kids but the S is ok for that?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a 991.1 GTS and a GT4. Each has its own purpose in my garage.

GTS- I couldn't imagine hauling anything in the back except a few bags/groceries on a runaway to the mountains for the weekend. It's the perfect grand tourer for my wife and I. Really great car to drive 300 miles in and feel rested upon exiting. Smooth power delivery with great sounds. Plus all the amenities of a modern cruiser ( heated seats/ that adaptive speed thing).

GT4- I have the Carbon buckets which right away make it feel sportier than the GTS. It's the car you lower the windows, turn off the tunes and rip the gears for an hour or so. It feels special to me because the mid engine/lightness/ and it's the first of its kind.

Tough call to pick only one. If I didn't have another car to drive it would be the GTS. But, if I had a daily driver and wanted pure excitement it would be the GT4.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has their reasons for keeping or selling their cars. I just traded in a 2015 TTS for a 2018 GTS coupe to my build specs. 139K I bought the TTS used and put 2K miles on it over 11 months. Was super easy to drive. Big torque and stupid fast. But that’s not me on public roads. Tracked it a few times. Again stupid fast. GTS has the newest tech with LCA, apple car play, but still opted for SPASM, rear axle steering, FAL. 450 hp rather than 560 in the TTS. Still plenty.
Will sound better than the Stock TTS but not like my former GT3.
Planning on selling my GT4 that has Cantrell bar and 6 pt harnesses to a local friend who has a Cayman R. This car arrived in the USA on the same ship as “Shockwave’s”. 6000 mostly to and from track miles. 3rd gear still no issues.
I am decreasing my track presence but will do occasional ones with the new GTS.
The trade in for the TTS was close to my purchase price a year ago and in WA state you pay sales tax on the difference. About $ 560 in my case for the new graphite blue GTS to be built.
DD for my less than 5 mile commute is a turbo Lava pearl 2017 Honda CRV. Many distracted drivers and millennials in downtown Seattle.

Quick Reply: regret