Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

It's Finally Available! The 981 GT4/Spyder Shorter Final Drive Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:38 AM
noddy981
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=AutoQuest Motorsports;14682669]Thanks for all the interest! I reached out to a few guys to chime in as they get some more seat time with it, and I have some video recording equipment ordered to do some comparison videos : )[/QUOTE

Time has moved on a few months now since the first batch of 4.62 final drive installations, so have any of those owners offered any feedback - or are any video comparisons on the way?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, but are you guys able to correct for the speedometer error this modification will introduce? Also, what would the all-in cost be of the modification (transmission removal, gear install, plus transmission re-install)?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM
noddy981
Intermediate

[QUOTE=AutoQuest Motorsports;14682669]Thanks for all the interest! I reached out to a few guys to chime in as they get some more seat time with it, and I have some video recording equipment ordered to do some comparison videos :

[/QUOTE Time has moved on a few months now since the first batch of 4.62 final drive installations, so have any of those owners offered any feedback - or are any video comparisons on the way?

Nobody seems to be at home to answer the above questions. Surprising after all the discussion and complaints over the years that have gone on regarding the high gearing.
Has no one gone ahead and installed this 4.62 final drive and willing to give the rest of us some impression regarding the perceived change in performance and whether it is noisy or not?
Is there no data available from the seller regarding the testing of the quality of this item and hence its proven durability?
With the labour cost involved this is an expensive mod and so more information is required before the majority of owners will be prepared to commit to such a project.

More information please!

Deepbluejh : I can answer your questions as it has already been confirmed the speedo and the auto throttle blip are unaffected and approximately 22 hours labour cost to install.
The following users liked this post:
Deepbluejh (05-25-2020)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
Thanks for all the interest! I reached out to a few guys to chime in as they get some more seat time with it, and I have some video recording equipment ordered to do some comparison videos :

[/QUOTE Time has moved on a few months now since the first batch of 4.62 final drive installations, so have any of those owners offered any feedback - or are any video comparisons on the way?

Nobody seems to be at home to answer the above questions. Surprising after all the discussion and complaints over the years that have gone on regarding the high gearing.
Has no one gone ahead and installed this 4.62 final drive and willing to give the rest of us some impression regarding the perceived change in performance and whether it is noisy or not?
Is there no data available from the seller regarding the testing of the quality of this item and hence its proven durability?
With the labour cost involved this is an expensive mod and so more information is required before the majority of owners will be prepared to commit to such a project.

More information please!.
I appreciate the continued interested! Unfortunately I am but one man...wearing many different hats at the company in the busiest time of the year for our humble shop here in Florida. Although I wish I could say otherwise, I cannot control who posts on RL as not everyone is an active member, nor can I control cars being at the shop with enough time to do a Quality comparison video of a stock vs 4.62 GT4 with similar modifications.That being said, now that we have the video equipment needed to capture a quality comparison, we are much closer to accomplishing this and are excited for the opportunity : ) Also keep in mind it's winter time with poor weather in most areas, so there hasn't been much chance to drive for some owners.

My personal cell is 484 883 6197 for an immediate response. I LOVE to chat, do not be afraid to call me! : ) After our chat, I'd be happy to arrange communication with someone who is currently running or has driven one of the final drives equipped GT4s for direct 3rd party feedback.

Last edited by AutoQuest Motorsports; 02-21-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Deepbluejh
Apologies if these questions have already been answered, but are you guys able to correct for the speedometer error this modification will introduce? Also, what would the all-in cost be of the modification (transmission removal, gear install, plus transmission re-install)?
We have had no issues with the speedometer or the autoblipper with the final drive installed. Although we cannot control the labor rate or time presented by the shop doing the R&I on the transmission, I would expect additional costs to the R&P itself to be along the lines of $2500 for someone within the US. This would include removing/installing the transmission, shipping to and from BMC&G in Ohio, and the cost of the R&P to be replaced by BMC&G.
Deepbluejh (05-25-2020)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM
noddy981
Intermediate

I appreciate the continued interested! Unfortunately I am but one man...wearing many different hats at the company in the busiest time of the year for our humble shop here in Florida. Although I wish I could say otherwise, I cannot control who posts on RL as not everyone is an active member, nor can I control cars being at the shop with enough time to do a Quality comparison video of a stock vs 4.62 GT4 with similar modifications. Now that we have the video equipment needed to capture a quality comparison, we are much closer to accomplishing this and are excited for the opportunity : )

My personal cell is 484 883 6197 for an immediate response. I LOVE to chat, do not be afraid to call me! : ) After our chat, I'd be happy to arrange communication with someone who is currently running or has driven one of the final drives equipped GT4s for direct 3rd party feedback.
Thank you for your immediate response and the update. Will await further details in due course.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 AM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

any body got this in yet? any thoughts? I want one
Old 05-03-2018, 06:49 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by O5C4R
any body got this in yet? any thoughts? I want one
Here's a clip of one of our guys on Sebring. I do have one in stock if you'd like to join the fun : )

Old 05-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Looks like a 3-4-5 box at Sebring. I believe I saw one downshift to 2nd and one upshift to 6th on the back straight. Might have missed something.

Choices are good.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:10 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the vid

2nd and 3rd look much faster, does this car also have a lightweight fly wheel?

I sent an email last Wednesday, i'll resend it
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Looks like a 3-4-5 box at Sebring. I believe I saw one downshift to 2nd and one upshift to 6th on the back straight. Might have missed something.

Choices are good.
Nope, you're pretty on point there Alan : )

Originally Posted by O5C4R
thanks for the vid

2nd and 3rd look much faster, does this car also have a lightweight fly wheel?

I sent an email last Wednesday, i'll resend it
No problem, and that is correct on both accounts you have a keen eye! This car also has our Powerkit (headers/intake/tune) as well as our Multi Link Rear Suspension. I got your current email Alex, thanks for reaching out : )
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 AM
981gts
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a clip of one of our guys on Sebring. I do have one in stock if you'd like to join the fun : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHeU3sG8Mk&t=200s
This sounds awesome, any modifications on breathing?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM
AutoQuest MS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 981gts
This sounds awesome, any modifications on breathing?

Yes we do offer treatments for asthmatic vehicles as well I received your email I'll chat with you shortly haha
andymlow (06-03-2020)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgive me - I may have missed it - was any performance data posted? 0-60, 1/4 mile? Thanks!

Quick Reply: It's Finally Available! The 981 GT4/Spyder Shorter Final Drive Ratio