Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Track n00b question about racing harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:46 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

For OP who is looking to primarily be better secured in his seat so he can drive the car vs just hang on I think there are few options before going to a full 6pt + hand + cage. For any kind of streetable car, everything is a compromise. With each safety feature we add we expose other risks but hopefully we net out being safer than were we started.

A super cheap option just to hold the OP in place better is to get something like a CG lock. http://www.cg-lock.com/ The little widget helps lock the stock 3pt in place so it helps hold you in place. The free version was to slide your seat back, yank on the seatbelt to get it to lock, and slide forward into the locked belt so both lap and shoulder belts hold you tight into the seat.

Next best thing from there is the Schroth 4pts with ASM. The ASM feature gives some flex on one of the shoulder belts to give the upper body a slower and angled deceleration in an accident like the stock 3pt and reduces the need for sub belts and HANS. This is DOT approved and, unless PCA has changed their rules, the only harness option that will pass tech in all chapters because it doesn't require cutting the passenger seat for sub belts. OP will just need a harness bar or Brey Krause mounts for the shoulder belts. A properly tightened 4pt is going to hold you in just fine at the track.

From there OP can go 5/6 pts, HANS, roll bar, front cage, whatever but once you start adding new steel bars to the interior it brings in additional risks for on the street where you're not secured in a harness and wearing a multi impact rated helmet.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aryork
This is probably a rare thing, but a friend crashed his GT4 with LWBs and harnesses and his side/seat airbag deployed breaking several ribs and rupturing his spleen. He theorized because he was so tightly secured in the seat and there was some door impact that the bag had nowhere to go except to press on his rib cage.
The GT4 clubsport package comes with 6pts for the LWBS so presumably Porsche tested and approved the combination. Do you know if your friend was using seat belt blanks in the stock 3pt receptacles to get rid of the idiot light in the dash? I'm wondering if maybe the side airbags don't fire if you're not wearing the 3pt which might make sense for the clubsport package.....
Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Luggage Strap

In the old days used these to hold you in place with 3pt belts
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 11:18 AM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Now it's Bray Krause anchor brackets, 6 Pt belts and Hans
Great setup for the LWB
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackRain
In the old days used these to hold you in place with 3pt belts
We don't need no stinking HANS....

Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
We don't need no stinking HANS....

lol what's the European equivalent of redneck repairs or redneck engineering
Old 10-08-2017, 06:56 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackRain
Now it's Bray Krause anchor brackets, 6 Pt belts and Hans
Great setup for the LWB
Brey Krause shoulder belt mounts, Cantrell sub belt mounts, Schroth GT3 6pt, and custom DeMan Motorsports roll bar

Old 10-09-2017, 07:42 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang... I was afraid of this. There is a lot more to consider when answering this question than I realized. I'm glad I asked.

But given how indecisive I am, it's going to be a real struggle for me to figure out the right course of action. My next track day is in a couple weeks, though, so don't think I'll have done anything yet. We'll see how that goes.

Quick Reply: Track n00b question about racing harnesses