Sponsored by: APR

Efficient shifting in the GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Efficient shifting in the GT4

I've had some manuals over the years, but never one with the sport mode like the GT4. What have people found to be the most efficient methods for shifting in the GT4 for maximum acceleration and maintenance of speed?

I haven't had to heel-and-toe with the sport mode, which is probably making me lazy. How about upshifts in the GT4?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Hold on to 2nd as long as you can, and hope 3rd doesn't let go.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a mini JCW manual and the GT4 shifts so much smoother I have not thought about how it could get better! Love the rev matching - use sport mode all the time!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Hold on to 2nd as long as you can, and hope 3rd doesn't let go.
Roflmao! Good one....
Old 09-14-2017, 12:32 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by aryork
I have a mini JCW manual and the GT4 shifts so much smoother I have not thought about how it could get better! Love the rev matching - use sport mode all the time!
Last shifters I had were 2005 Elise and then 2008 Exige S240. Fun cars and having a few higher end cars after made me miss the mid-engine simplicity and shifting in those cars.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:01 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
I've had some manuals over the years, but never one with the sport mode like the GT4. What have people found to be the most efficient methods for shifting in the GT4 for maximum acceleration and maintenance of speed?

I haven't had to heel-and-toe with the sport mode, which is probably making me lazy. How about upshifts in the GT4?
I just had the first track day for this car since the acquisition this past weekend.

It was weird to "unlearn" heel toe in "sport" mode. after a few awkward laps, it gradually came around and I found the feature to be helpful. I could trail brake (alittle later and hotter) and modulate finer brake pressure (instead of also needing to blip the throttle) while the left foot was just hitting the clutch. I also felt the "long"-ness of 2nd gear, disappeared on track. I tried to keep speeds up so i could just stay mainly in 3 and 4. seems to work okay.

Quick Reply: Efficient shifting in the GT4