Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Side Intake Scoops REMOVAL

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 PM
cooperlee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Side Intake Scoops REMOVAL

Does anyone here know how to remove the side intake scoops?

I heard the completes side skirts needs to be removed as there are bolts/screws that's holding the side scoops in place.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

You heard correctly
Old 09-17-2017, 11:56 PM
PBJT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by PBJT; 02-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Confirming the above, also plastic inserts need to come out with side panels as there are screws into those. All in all, a 1 hour job max if you have a lift, not hard but can't do it ok the ground
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Phi19
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have recently swapped my OEM intake scoops for Carbon Fiber ones. It is not true that you need to completely remove the side skirts. What is true is that they are fixed with 3 screws + 3M adhesive tapes. The easiest and less invasive way to dismount them is to access from the rear arch wheel cover:
- Dismount the rear wheel
- Remove the rear wheel well liner (arch cover)
- Then you can access directly to the screws
BUT to unscrew the lowest screw with the screwdriver, you will have to partially unclip the side skirt (see enclosed picture)

The following users liked this post:
Mika911 (07-28-2019)
Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 AM
Rulez
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I just removed my side scoops and can confirm what Phi19 said, although mine had 4 torx fasteners holding the scoop in.

Here is what I did:
- Jack up and support the car, remove rear wheel.
- Remove inner fender liner; 2 plastic 10mm nuts, 3 T25 fasteners
- Remove 2 T30 fasteners holding the rocker panel in place (one at the top, one underneath at the bottom)
- Remove 5 or 6 of the large flat plastic fasteners underneath the rocker panel. Give them a quarter turn and pull them out (to reinstall, just push them back in)
- Pull the rocker panel away from the body of the car starting at the top rear, near the wheel arch. Pull carefully with increasing force and it will pop out. Work it out along the body of the car moving forward. Pull it out until it starts to separate near the door sill. That should be enough.
- The fasteners holding the scoop in are T20, and there were 4 on mine. The one near the bottom is the hardest to access without removing the rocker panel completely.
- Once all those fasteners are out, the scoop is only held on by 3M tape. I was able to pull it far enough away to slip a thin razor in between the scoop and the panel to slice the tape as I was pulling away. Came out pretty easily bit will require removing all the tape from both the scoop and the panel and reapplying new tape before reinstalling.
- Reinstalling is the reverse of above. When reattaching the rocker panel at the top, it will lock into place as you press it in. I had to give it a couple jabs with the back of my fist to get it locked in.
Last_935 (06-24-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rulez
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I just removed my side scoops and can confirm what Phi19 said, although mine had 4 torx fasteners holding the scoop in.

Here is what I did:
- Jack up and support the car, remove rear wheel.
- Remove inner fender liner; 2 plastic 10mm nuts, 3 T25 fasteners
- Remove 2 T30 fasteners holding the rocker panel in place (one at the top, one underneath at the bottom)
- Remove 5 or 6 of the large flat plastic fasteners underneath the rocker panel. Give them a quarter turn and pull them out (to reinstall, just push them back in)
- Pull the rocker panel away from the body of the car starting at the top rear, near the wheel arch. Pull carefully with increasing force and it will pop out. Work it out along the body of the car moving forward. Pull it out until it starts to separate near the door sill. That should be enough.
- The fasteners holding the scoop in are T20, and there were 4 on mine. The one near the bottom is the hardest to access without removing the rocker panel completely.
- Once all those fasteners are out, the scoop is only held on by 3M tape. I was able to pull it far enough away to slip a thin razor in between the scoop and the panel to slice the tape as I was pulling away. Came out pretty easily bit will require removing all the tape from both the scoop and the panel and reapplying new tape before reinstalling.
- Reinstalling is the reverse of above. When reattaching the rocker panel at the top, it will lock into place as you press it in. I had to give it a couple jabs with the back of my fist to get it locked in.

Excellent Directions! Thanks. I was wondering if you recall when opening up the rocker panel on the GT4 .... if I wanted to install mesh screens behind the plastic insert (See Youtube videos below) if I would have enough room to slide the grill mesh in without having to remove the side scoops to accomplish that? I am thinking about adding mesh to keep some of the leaves out when mountain driving.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87SWgY35R0&t=18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52k7rJEOLY
Old 09-27-2022, 11:41 AM
Rulez
Advanced

Mmm, I don’t think so. That black trim piece sits underneath the scoop and if that needs to be removed to fit the mesh screen, I’m pretty sure you’d have to pull the scoop off.

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Excellent Directions! Thanks. I was wondering if you recall when opening up the rocker panel on the GT4 .... if I wanted to install mesh screens behind the plastic insert (See Youtube videos below) if I would have enough room to slide the grill mesh in without having to remove the side scoops to accomplish that? I am thinking about adding mesh to keep some of the leaves out when mountain driving.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87SWgY35R0&t=18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52k7rJEOLY
Old 09-27-2022, 06:40 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I attached screens from the back side without removing the scoop from the panel. $4 roll of gutter guard screen and a few zip ties.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Rulez
Advanced

That looks pretty good!
Old 09-27-2022, 09:21 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
I attached screens from the back side without removing the scoop from the panel. $4 roll of gutter guard screen and a few zip ties.

Thats looks great! Did you have to remove the door sill? Thanks

Last edited by Kelsey; 09-27-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-27-2022, 09:55 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsey
Thats looks great! Did you have to remove the door sill? Thanks
I believe so. Been a while now….. I found these instructions for installing the MR screens that were very helpful in pulling the panel out.

https://www.manthey-racing.de/MTH541...man_GT4_CS.pdf
Kelsey (09-28-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Intake Scoops REMOVAL