Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Selling my GT4 on Bring a Trailer - Full XPel, LWB's, Sport Chrono, ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

We'll see prices go back up once many of these people sell their GT4 to fund their new GT3/GT2RS purchase and supply drops significantly.

Last edited by guab; 09-16-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Everything goes down in value. With very few exceptions.
A high asking price means nothing.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
I'm all for free market but risky selling it with so many cars on the market I suppose. There's ~15 total Spyders in NA that I see for sale right now on autotrader/cars.com/ebay/forums and most are still asking heavily over sticker. Not sure how many more GT4s there are over Spyders though. Makes sense though... many people will swap GT4 for new GT3/GT2RS if they can get one so the market probably has more than usual right now. However the Spyder is a different kind of car that likely won't get sold for those reasons. My guess is we'll see prices go back up once many of these people sell their GT4 to fund their new GT3/GT2RS purchase and supply drops significantly.
Wanted to read this but paragraphs made it impossible....
Old 09-14-2017, 05:27 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Everything goes down in value. With very few exceptions.
A high asking price means nothing.
Indeed and the 997.2 GT3 RS is hurting bad right now because of it. So much hurt!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
Indeed and the 997.2 GT3 RS is hurting bad right now because of it. So much hurt!!!
I own one and in fact I do think prices have cold down on them

GT4s are no different - 991.2 is going to push most owners to trade up
Old 09-15-2017, 02:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
My 2 cents is that I LOVE Bring a Trailer. I am a FREE MARKET junkie and find the site to be as pure of a free marketplace as it comes. Public commentary, and open and free information of who is bidding what. Not true in the smoke and mirrors Porsche dealership world. As far as value, it was an open market for all to see and many many did see. And it fetched what if fetched.

I would point out that never before has the GT4 been so available to acquire - with 41 offered by Porsche dealers (many with CPO warranty), and at least 8 offered by Used Lots on Ebay, and at least 15 being offered by individuals. That's at least 64 cars nationwide on the market.

Perhaps this is due to the fact that asking prices have risen of late.

I can not predict the future value of the GT4, but i can say that the current value is something less than the average asking price or we would see a dwindling of supply. But supply is growing. BAT was a measure of the market at this moment for buying that car. If I am correct, average asking prices will fall. Which would lead to less cars being on the market. Which may lead to higher prices in the future, who knows? I LOVE the Free Market!!!
Also watched the BaT auction with keen interest, given the two GT4s before this one sold for very strong prices. Actually watched this one from BaT HQ, as I was there to have lunch with Randy, who I knew when I lived in SF 9-10 years ago. Had been too long. I was surprised to see the bidding go cold at $84k, and then surprised to see it sell with BaT making the deal whole at its cost. Despite knowing Randy for a long time, I am relatively new to BaT auctions and watching them, having mainly become interested in them due to a friend's pursuit of an early 911. My take? I'd caution against tying too much weight to three GT4 sales on BaT, though they are interesting data points. The white car with few (or zero?) options and 5000-6000 miles sold for strong money not long ago, yet this one—so nicely equipped—sold for $10k~ less and with no bidding at the end? Was it the miles? Was it the presentation, with the lack of a vacuumed interior, etc? Was it the wing risers, a matter of personal taste but seemingly one that proved unpopular on BaT and may have signaled something buyers didn't like? Was it the uneducated over-rev heckler? Was it the market? I have to say I think Matt is spot on in terms of purity as a free market. It's an interesting alternative, and if nothing else another tool in the toolbox. Like most tools, if selected, it can be harnessed well or poorly.

Too many variables with this sale to make a comment on the wider GT4 market, imho.

Once upon a time, and over many months, 2,200+ GT4s were available from dealers, all with full warranty and many at MSRP. While there was quite a managed "demand" going on, my impression was that everyone who really wanted one got one by the end. Also, a little more than one GT4 available per state does not make a glut. 64 cars is less than 3% of the North American total, which means 97+% of owners are holding onto their cars. Pretty good retention rate...but also agree with Bardman in that there is just no way to know what will happen with GT4 values. 718 GT4 will have a (better) flat six, but we don't know how it will look and it will go up in cost significantly. New GT3 can be had with a manual (and it's GREAT to drive), but it's a $150-170k proposition with the usual options…kind of in that price range that stopped a lot of people from tracking 997 and 991 RS cars due to their value. GT4 still looks great as a track toy at $90-100k. I do think this GT4 was very well bought for $88k, mainly due to the color, options, and (especially) LWBs.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure what everyone is getting so worked up about --

BAT IS an auction - and with it come the pros and cons. At the end of the day seller did get trade in on the car (and hopefully this goes to a good home!) instead of passing through STEALERSHIPS hands where they can take on a profit. No lowballers, time wasters, of TIRE kickers to deal with (that is worth its weight in gold sometimes).

I have sold a-many fine automobiles at TRADE in pricing - as that just showed me where the market is sometimes (from a private seller on a luxury/exotic car) - and I'd rather pass the savings on to another enthusiastic owner.

This car WAS advertised and announced that it was listed for sale on BAT - ALL over these boards. EVERYONE who saw that had a stab at it to ****** a 'great deal' - and obviously 84K (auction end price) + whatever the buyer has to pay in fees - is where the price is at for an auction (and all the cons that come with that for a buyer) was on this GT4.

There is over 100 GT4s for sale currently in the US- and besides LWB and color choice - are nearly all identical in spec --- so definitely not a 'rare' or 'exclusive' car at the current moment by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

You're right- The wing risers didn't help the cause. I'm a firm believer in salter aero or no riser at all. The others just look a bit too aftermarket for my taste.

But who knows, maybe this is the direction of the market currently. Either way, someone got themselves a great deal.

I'd love to pick up a GT4 for low 80k as a track only car.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

The seller mentioned that he had the original risers and would swap them back on if preferred. Perhaps he should have just done this as soon as the related criticism came pouring in.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Also watched the BaT auction with keen interest, given the two GT4s before this one sold for very strong prices. Actually watched this one from BaT HQ, as I was there to have lunch with Randy, who I knew when I lived in SF 9-10 years ago. Had been too long. I was surprised to see the bidding go cold at $84k, and then surprised to see it sell with BaT making the deal whole at its cost. Despite knowing Randy for a long time, I am relatively new to BaT auctions and watching them, having mainly become interested in them due to a friend's pursuit of an early 911. My take? I'd caution against tying too much weight to three GT4 sales on BaT, though they are interesting data points. The white car with few (or zero?) options and 5000-6000 miles sold for strong money not long ago, yet this one—so nicely equipped—sold for $10k~ less and with no bidding at the end? Was it the miles? Was it the presentation, with the lack of a vacuumed interior, etc? Was it the wing risers, a matter of personal taste but seemingly one that proved unpopular on BaT and may have signaled something buyers didn't like? Was it the uneducated over-rev heckler? Was it the market? I have to say I think Matt is spot on in terms of purity as a free market. It's an interesting alternative, and if nothing else another tool in the toolbox. Like most tools, if selected, it can be harnessed well or poorly.

Too many variables with this sale to make a comment on the wider GT4 market, imho.

Once upon a time, and over many months, 2,200+ GT4s were available from dealers, all with full warranty and many at MSRP. While there was quite a managed "demand" going on, my impression was that everyone who really wanted one got one by the end. Also, a little more than one GT4 available per state does not make a glut. 64 cars is less than 3% of the North American total, which means 97+% of owners are holding onto their cars. Pretty good retention rate...but also agree with Bardman in that there is just no way to know what will happen with GT4 values. 718 GT4 will have a (better) flat six, but we don't know how it will look and it will go up in cost significantly. New GT3 can be had with a manual (and it's GREAT to drive), but it's a $150-170k proposition with the usual options…kind of in that price range that stopped a lot of people from tracking 997 and 991 RS cars due to their value. GT4 still looks great as a track toy at $90-100k. I do think this GT4 was very well bought for $88k, mainly due to the color, options, and (especially) LWBs.
Well stated (as always).

And, yes those risers are hideous.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Time of Year, Seasonal pricing

May is a different market than September too
Old 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
May is a different market than September too
That's true as well. Overall there's just too many of these vehicles available right now.

Quick Reply: Selling my GT4 on Bring a Trailer - Full XPel, LWB's, Sport Chrono, ...