Sponsored by: APR

Totalled my GT4 at Milwaukee Mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
I'm counting on, at least for my first incident, the universal HPDE disclaimer of :This is not a race to keep me covered.
U
R
Not
Covered.

Be careful.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My regular policy reads: (emphasis mine) *exclusions*

Loss located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b Practicing or preparing for any organized racing or speed contest.

I'm counting on, at least for my first incident, the universal HPDE disclaimer of :This is not a race to keep me covered.
Please don't delude yourself that a $1000/yr policy will (or should) cover you for unlimited number of risk events (track days) whose insurance premium is valued at $600/day on the free insurance market. No insurance business dumb enough to sell you such coverage would stay in business for too long.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:03 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever . . .

Obviously they haven't had a lot of claims about it or they would have changed the wording. My agent knows because when she wanted to shop me to other companies, I showed her that paragraph and made it a requirement that any new company have similar wording. I chalk it up to an advantage of small town, small company, personalized service. Notice I haven't named the company for fear that actually having trackies on their rolls would push them to change.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:07 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

I only posted because GoFish said that he also had it in the regular policy until recently and hoped to have it again. I encourage him to shop outside of the Allstate, Farmers, GEICO biggies.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Whatever . . ..
Whatever. LMFAO!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever . . .

Obviously they haven't had a lot of claims about it or they would have changed the wording. My agent knows because when she wanted to shop me to other companies, I showed her that paragraph and made it a requirement that any new company have similar wording. I chalk it up to an advantage of small town, small company, personalized service. Notice I haven't named the company for fear that actually having trackies on their rolls would push them to change.
You have to be kidding.... and I always assumed anyone who could make enough money to buy a $100K+ toy was bright.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I only posted because GoFish said that he also had it in the regular policy until recently and hoped to have it again. I encourage him to shop outside of the Allstate, Farmers, GEICO biggies.
What company are you insured with that has that language in a current policy? Please let us all know.

EDIT: Just realized that you refuse to name the company. Same as everyone else who claims to be covered through their normal policy. Every few months one of you comes along bragging about coverage like this and then can't back up their claims with an actual company name.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

My last post on this subject since I'm not very bright.

But, with several policies, home, multiple cars, personal umbrella, for several years with the same company and agent who knows that I asked for that paragraph to remain, I feel OK. IF I had an incident (knock on wood) I don't expect that I would even need a lawyer to point out the "competition is excluded" language in his left hand and the "this is not a race" in his right hand.

That said, IF I had a claim and after they honored their policy, I would not at all be surprised if my policy renewal said "no more" we are changing that paragraph for you.

Feel free to stick with State Farm.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

since I'm not very bright.
This.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

My last post on this subject since I'm not very bright.

But, with several policies, home, multiple cars, personal umbrella, for several years with the same company and agent who knows that I asked for that paragraph to remain, I feel OK. IF I had an incident (knock on wood) I don't expect that I would even need a lawyer to point out the "competition is excluded" language in his left hand and the "this is not a race" in his right hand.

That said, IF I had a claim and after they honored their policy, I would not at all be surprised if my policy renewal said "no more" we are changing that paragraph for you.

Feel free to stick with State Farm.
we all have everything you listed above and then some.
massive ILIT policies, massive malpractice policies, massive disability, collector car auto, regular auto, homeowners , umbrella, rental, college dorm, life, iPhone (LOL) etc....

You would blush at how much I pay per year in insurance

I will NEVER Track a $100k car without track insurance. thats what Miata's are for.
$500 for a weekend to insure $100k, or $150k, or $200k cars is not even a consideration, IMHO.
Hell, get opentrack and do 25 events a year, then it is probably $200/day

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 08-30-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My regular policy reads: (emphasis mine) *exclusions*

Loss located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b Practicing or preparing for any organized racing or speed contest.
Practicing or preparing also seems to be excluded. It will be fun to convince the insurance agent that your $100k damage claim for crashing ON the track was not for "practicing or preparing". "I was only doing parade laps, honest!"

Maybe it would be good to clarify this with your insurer before anything happens. Ask him if they really cover you for unlimited track days, each of them valued at $600/day premium for your car by the insurance market. Would be interesting to hear his response.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Practicing or preparing also seems to be excluded. It will be fun to convince the insurance agent that your $100k damage claim for crashing ON the track was not for "practicing or preparing". "I was only doing parade laps, honest!"

Maybe it would be good to clarify this with your insurer before anything happens. Ask him if they really cover you for unlimited track days, each of them valued at $600/day premium for your car by the insurance market. Would be interesting to hear his response.
Notice that he stakes his claim on his good relationship with his friend, the small-town insurance broker. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he tries to get that broker To go to bat for him on the hundred thousand dollar loss when the big insurance company that does not go to Fourth of July barbecues with him declines his claim.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. Insurance agent/broker sells policies, and that is it. They will say anything just to sell a policy, but have absolutely no power in the settlement; that is all the insurance adjuster, and they will fight hard to pay out the absolute minimum. I have been hit a couple times with the other driver's insurance covering the cost, and in that case they are somewhat generous, perhaps hoping to keep me happy and not sue them. The couple times my own insurance company has paid a claim to me, they have been somewhat, let's say, conservative. Not to be harsh, but I would very much hope my auto policy is not subsidizing high risk driving events.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:44 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Just to be clear (as I am, as a former insurance claims clerk)--check the definition of "racing" (i.e.--moving quickly), and "organised".

I can almost certainly guarantee: you are NOT COVERED.

Greg
Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Which company quotes $600/event for $100,000 car?

I've recently shopped Lockton, Hagerty and ontrackinsurance. All are over $700 for $115000 value. Closer to $740 - $750.

I know there are discounts for buying in 3 - 6 or more events at a time, but deductible is 10% of the value regardless of the claim.

Quick Reply: Totalled my GT4 at Milwaukee Mile