Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

AutoQuest Motorsports - Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks for the Failed Factory Ceramics

Old 10-11-2017, 03:33 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shandingo
John, can you provide an update on your efforts to source dust boots. I am interested in the pucks, but I want all of the parts to be lined up that I will need and don't expect to reuse my dust boots. Would be nice to know who offers the high temps boots you mentioned as well as whether Porsche is making the OE boots available. I believe that RB offers dust boots (both high temp and standard), but I do not know whether they would fit your pucks. In addition, I don't know where they get their boots.
Originally Posted by Shandingo
In addition, it would be nice to know whether Porsche is making available replacement pistons, just in case the installer happens to damage a piston during the install. I do not want to get stuck buying new calipers in that case.
Of course, it has been a nice little challenge haha. You cannot get any individual parts for these calipers (dust boots, pistons, or otherwise) through Porsche or Porsche Motorsports, however if it something you would like we have no made arrangements to supply an OE Brembo replacement dust boot. I'll shoot you a PM to follow up on that

We have not yet found (nor do we know if it is possible) to source OE pistons as well. However, we have replaced a couple hundred of them at this point and have never had an issue. You just have to make sure that the piston is gripped thoroughly by a non-abrasive material. A rubber strap around the piston, pulled down tightly and gripped by a vice has been working like a charm : )

Originally Posted by Yargk
I'll add this to my checklist. Thanks for offering the product.

Do others on the board know about how many brake pad changes one can do before this becomes an issue (or # of track days?)?
No problem, we are glad to help : ) For your reference we have had numerous GT3s/GT4s come through with the issues and took note of the variables. There is no real pattern to predict failure, the more heat cycles you have on the pucks the more likely they are to fail. We've seem them go from seemingly perfect condition pre-track day to disintegration during the event, and everything in between. Fronts fail slightly more often than rears, but the rears typically follow soon after the fronts show signs of failure if not at the same time.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Our piston pucks are now back in stock and ready to ship : )
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a piston puck fail as well. The entire caliper was replaced under warranty but I would consider this product if I was out of warranty. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by moveswiftly
I had a piston puck fail as well. The entire caliper was replaced under warranty but I would consider this product if I was out of warranty. Thank you.
No problem, and thanks for chiming in
Old 11-27-2017, 11:38 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

These piston pucks are in stock. Check your pistons the next time you have your pads out and give me a shout if you need them : )
Old 02-16-2018, 12:49 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

New batch of piston pucks have arrived and are back in stock. Be preemptive and check your pucks to look for the warning signs, we are ready to help if needed : )
Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Here are some pictures of failed pucks we just had come through the shop.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:29 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I just installed a full set of these on my GT4. It's a very straight-forward job, just a bit messy since you have to remove the calipers and pull the pistons. John gave me an excellent tip about wrapping each piston with a strap wrench and then clamping the strap in a vise (not on the piston, but just below the piston) -- this held the piston so the retaining screw could be removed without damaging the piston.

Think there's any market for the unbroken ceramic pucks? I've got 7 good rear puck and 9 good front pucks, not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BillC3
I just installed a full set of these on my GT4. It's a very straight-forward job, just a bit messy since you have to remove the calipers and pull the pistons. John gave me an excellent tip about wrapping each piston with a strap wrench and then clamping the strap in a vise (not on the piston, but just below the piston) -- this held the piston so the retaining screw could be removed without damaging the piston.

Think there's any market for the unbroken ceramic pucks? I've got 7 good rear puck and 9 good front pucks, not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?
Glad the install went smoothly Bill, and our little trick was as successful for you as it has been for us : )

In regards to the factory ceramic piston pucks, there are a few things you could do with them.

1. Put tape over the holes and use them for little air hockey pucks
2. Make a little PVC launcher and use them as advanced level clay birds for trap shooting
3. Tie 100lb braided fishing line between two pucks and use it as a Bolas for hunting small game
Old 05-24-2018, 11:22 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Piston pucks are back in stock : )
Old 06-29-2018, 12:29 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Here are some more pucks we recently replaced.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC3

How have your titanium piston pucks held up?
Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cormid
How have your titanium piston pucks held up?
Other than getting a little dirty from use, they look like new. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if anything could damage these pucks without ruining the pistons or caliper at the same time.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I now have 3600 track miles on my GT4. Still running the original caliper pistons which are inspected every time I change pads. So far, no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsports - Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks for the Failed Factory Ceramics