Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Help with recent GT4 purchase... what to do?

Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Help with recent GT4 purchase... what to do?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I just pursched my first Porsche in over 20+ years (had a 964 C4).

This past week I traded in my beloved French Racing Blue Jaguar XKR-S in towards a GT4.

The GT4 is highly optioned (LWB, PCCBs, etc.) and stickered for just under $117K. The GT4 is good shape and has approximately 3800 miles on it. One of the options listed on the build sheet is a lithium ion battery. This isnt something I was particularly interested in but I really liked how the rest of the car was optioned so I decided to make a deal.

After taking delivery of the car I found out it didn't have a lithium iron battery. I only discovered this when getting ready to connected up a ctek charger. I contacted the dealer I purchased it through and they now tell me Porsche stopped including the lithium batteries in builds due to reliability issues with them. Is this true? If so, why wouldn't they have shared this information prior to the transaction? I find it hard to believe that Porsche wouldn't at least update the window sticker to reflect the change in options. Even though I didn't really care to have a lithium battery I did feel like I paid a premium for it. I'm going to pursue the dealer to provide some financial recompense since I was originally told it was included and it was a $2300 factory option.

Can any confirm Porsche pulled these from their builds?

How would you recommend I handle this with the dealer?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:09 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

I do not recall seeing any posts on OEM batteries. There has been some discussion of after market batteries, however.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:21 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I know that Suncoast parts used to list the lightweight battery on their site so did a search out of curiosity and got a page saying product not available. So there could be some truth to what you were told.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:47 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Some background reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9384...-paid-for.html
Old 08-26-2017, 12:23 AM
hdavidson
Instructor

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Thanks. Sounds like there's some truth to their story then. I still think they should have disclosed it wasn't included. The higher MSRP influenced my negotiations. I assumed I was getting an additional $2300 worth of options than I actually got... in my opinion the deal has going from being decent to not so great. Hopefully they'll do something to help make it right. I'm sure they paid less for the vechile when they took it in on trade.

Thanks all.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 AM
js997
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about reliability. my gt4 has Lion battery. so far it's been working fine. ~4k miles on the clock. kept it under ctek lion charger when it sits for more than a week. when I first opened the cowl, I couldn't believe it was a Lion battery because of its size. it's huge compared to its predecessor. the part# is on the battery so I looked it up. 991.611.040.52. sure enough Genuine Porsche motorsport lithium ion battery pops up. still couldn't believe it, I unmounted the battery and lifted it up. wow super light!

I think the Porsche dealership should have known better and disclosed it upfront. that is a pricey option after all and it would have influenced my negotiations as well. on the bright side, you have a gt4! congrats and enjoy!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:17 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Congrats on the car.

I agree with your perspective re the car missing an option, but we don't know how the car was represented. Did they tell you it included the optional battery or did they simply provide the original build sheet? Did you inspect the car prior to purchase? I doubt I would check the battery but there is some responsibility on the purchaser.

Ultimately I hope the dealership works with you to find an agreeable solution.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:00 AM
hdavidson
Instructor

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Congrats on the car.

I agree with your perspective re the car missing an option, but we don't know how the car was represented. Did they tell you it included the optional battery or did they simply provide the original build sheet? Did you inspect the car prior to purchase? I doubt I would check the battery but there is some responsibility on the purchaser.

Ultimately I hope the dealership works with you to find an agreeable solution.
They had the build info on their site and I even asked questions about how to take care of the battery before I made the purchased.

I didn't get to inspect the car as it was an out of state transaction. They shipped the car down to me and picked up my trade at the same time. I really didn't think I would need to inspect the battery compartment but wish I had before taking delivery.

I'll let you all know what happens...

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

This is interesting- Porsche did stop selling Lithium batteries due to liability. If they sit too long they could go bye-bye so Porsche has left that to the aftermarket. I believe credits were issued to those that paid for the battery and they never came with car or possibly the Dealer took the Lithium and sold it for good money. I would discuss with the Dealer that this info should of been disclosed, upfront, and you are hoping that they would make things right with maybe (3) free services ect
Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,079 Likes on 568 Posts

There certanally was misrepresentation intentional or not. The ethical thing to do is make you feel right about it . problem is business ethics and car dealers usealy don't mix. Good luck ! Carl
Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Based on the basic law classes I've took, they did not fulfill the contract. I'm sure a lawyer will chime in.. this is based on the assumption the deal was not "as-is".
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
I didn't get to inspect the car as it was an out of state transaction.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would discuss with the Dealer that this info should of been disclosed, upfront, and you are hoping that they would make things right with maybe (3) free services ect
Submit receipts, ala rebate, and hope for reimbursement?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Yep. Listing the build sheet and not disclosing that the battery was missing is a strong argument for some sort of compensation.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:07 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep. Listing the build sheet and not disclosing that the battery was missing is a strong argument for some sort of compensation.
+1
its like listing it as PCCB optioned car only to find they replaced with steels
they will probably claim it was your responsibility to check all aspects of the car against the build sheet to make sure you knew what you were getting though...
Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Dealer looks like he pulled a fast one, I would not let this stand

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with recent GT4 purchase... what to do?