Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Help with recent GT4 purchase... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Yep. Listing the build sheet and not disclosing that the battery was missing is a strong argument for some sort of compensation.
In virtually every car purchase I would agree, but with the GT4 I'm not certain. GT4s are priced on a "what the market will bear"basis, rather than cost plus. So the question is whether or not the absence of an ion battery will have any affect on the car's value. If I were the dealer I'd certainly offer you some good will compensation like a couple years of service at no cost or it may be something you may suggest if the dealer isn't being cooperative.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
In virtually every car purchase I would agree, but with the GT4 I'm not certain. GT4s are priced on a "what the market will bear"basis, rather than cost plus. So the question is whether or not the absence of an ion battery will have any affect on the car's value. If I were the dealer I'd certainly offer you some good will compensation like a couple years of service at no cost or it may be something you may suggest if the dealer isn't being cooperative.
The car is worth less without the lithium ion battery. How much less is debatable. If I'm the OP, I think it's worth $2300 less...
Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree with Bryan.

Facts: The OP asked about maintaining the lithium battery due to the build sheet which stated the battery was included. The dealer did not state that the question was irrelevant because a standard battery would be included instead. Nor did the dealer correct the advertised MSRP.

The market value of the car has at least some correlation to its original MSRP and the amount of options included. I think everyone can agree that it is at least a material consideration, even if an individual option like this only has a minor affect on the market value.

To me the dealer was not truthful (whether intentional or not) and needs to provide some compensation. A material misrepresentation occurred.

So OP needs to decide how much time he wants to invest into resolving this. A jerk dealer may just put their foot down and hope he goes away.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Congratulations on your GT4,
which Dealer did you buy it from?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

jeez, I see your point, but I really am not sure I'd make a fuss about this. Would you have really paid less if they told you it had a standard battery?

Given that you're not local, I'd say a coupon for the purchase of $500 porsche parts or accessories would be a reasonable offer.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
jeez, I see your point, but I really am not sure I'd make a fuss about this. Would you have really paid less if they told you it had a standard battery?

Given that you're not local, I'd say a coupon for the purchase of $500 porsche parts or accessories would be a reasonable offer.
It's pretty common for newish GT4's to trade at an amount +/- the MSRP. So, I could imagine the price being influenced pretty strongly by that option (nearly the full cost of the option).
Old 08-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It's pretty common for newish GT4's to trade at an amount +/- the MSRP. So, I could imagine the price being influenced pretty strongly by that option (nearly the full cost of the option).
well then I'm glad i'm not in that market.

kinda silly. Options like lwb...I understand. A stupid battery that is massively overpriced anyway...wgaf. My opinion
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

^^^^ If somebody wants to track and save weight, it might be worth the price for a LIon battery, at least to that buyer. If Porsche or a dealer (any dealer) represents the car a certain way, it should come with the advertised parts and options. Since this option is pricey, my opinion is that the buyer should expect to get that option.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:13 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 571 Posts

Bottom line, you have them by the *****. They sold you something you paid for and didn't deliver it. its that simple, worst case an easy small claims action.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Any updates?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 PM
hdavidson
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Any updates?
After dragging out a response I got a voicemail from my sales rep saying nothing they can do for me. Fortunately I paid a $2K deposit on my Amex so have filed a dispute with them this weekend. It will probably take a few weeks to get a verdict from American Express. If they don't rule in my favor I'll explore small claims etc. I'll provide an update once I have something more significant to share.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdavidson
They had the build info on their site and I even asked questions about how to take care of the battery before I made the purchased.

I didn't get to inspect the car as it was an out of state transaction. They shipped the car down to me and picked up my trade at the same time. I really didn't think I would need to inspect the battery compartment but wish I had before taking delivery.

I'll let you all know what happens...

Thanks.
You always have the opportunity/responsibility to inspect. Just because the car was shipped to you does not mean you had no opportunity to inspect, you simply chose not to go through the hassle of traveling to inspect the car prior to purchase. Still, even if you had traveled to inspect the car, who knows if you would have even noticed the battery missing.

Being a used car, the ball game generally changes with regard to what the seller must warrant. A window sticker of how the car was delivered when new may or may not be a guarantee or representation of how the car will be delivered used.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 PM
josephvman
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 129 Posts

This is a wise and common-sense post, something that has been fairly absent in this thread. The OP could ask the dealer to comp his next service and they would probably oblige willingly and everyone could be happy. Chargeback your Amex! Seriously! Let's put the shoe on the other foot and say that the dealer wants to unwind the deal and get the car back for a full refund? The OP bought a pre-owned car, and presumably a very nice one or I'm sure we would have heard about far more than the battery. The responsibility of checking the options against the window sticker, if that was important to him, was purely his. The "wrong" battery is not a material defect that in any way detracts from the expected use of the car.

Originally Posted by Craigy
You always have the opportunity/responsibility to inspect. Just because the car was shipped to you does not mean you had no opportunity to inspect, you simply chose not to go through the hassle of traveling to inspect the car prior to purchase. Still, even if you had traveled to inspect the car, who knows if you would have even noticed the battery missing.

Being a used car, the ball game generally changes with regard to what the seller must warrant. A window sticker of how the car was delivered when new may or may not be a guarantee or representation of how the car will be delivered used.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by josephvman
This is a wise and common-sense post, something that has been fairly absent in this thread. The OP could ask the dealer to comp his next service and they would probably oblige willingly and everyone could be happy. Chargeback your Amex! Seriously! Let's put the shoe on the other foot and say that the dealer wants to unwind the deal and get the car back for a full refund? The OP bought a pre-owned car, and presumably a very nice one or I'm sure we would have heard about far more than the battery. The responsibility of checking the options against the window sticker, if that was important to him, was purely his. The "wrong" battery is not a material defect that in any way detracts from the expected use of the car.
Reading comprehension is also fairly absent in this thread...dealer is out of state.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Help with recent GT4 purchase... what to do?