Sponsored by: APR

Favorite Silver on the GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 03:49 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Favorite Silver on the GT4?

I've been walking by this Rhodium Silver GT4 in the showroom, and I have to say I am blown away by it. I love how it has almost two characters...sedate, smooth, and classic in low light conditions, and then it becomes brilliant, bright, and what seems to be a hint of a blue in the sunlight, especially when it reflects the sky on a clear day.

Of all the silvers I have seen from Porsche, this one catches my eye the most and I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it. What silvers do you guys prefer and why? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

GT Silver for me.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Agree GT silver
Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RS - but I am biased
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT Silver.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

They're all good, but I'm a GT Silver man; I've had 3 of them, starting with the 2004 986S 50 Years of 550 Spyder (yes that was actually the name of the model). To my eye, GT is the most neutral and darkest and richest of them; if you want a hint of color to your silver than the others are a better choice: polar and Rhodium for some blue, Platinum for a brown tint. Arctic was a pretty pure silver also, but not as rich nor as dark as GT. I owned an Arctic Turbo and a GT Silver 991 GTS at the same time and the Arctic definitely wilted a bit when seen next to GT.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 08-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
I've been walking by this Rhodium Silver GT4 in the showroom, and I have to say I am blown away by it. I love how it has almost two characters...sedate, smooth, and classic in low light conditions, and then it becomes brilliant, bright, and what seems to be a hint of a blue in the sunlight, especially when it reflects the sky on a clear day.

Of all the silvers I have seen from Porsche, this one catches my eye the most and I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it. What silvers do you guys prefer and why? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Totally agree on RS, but of course I am biased, too.

In addition to loving the color on the GT4, RS also happens to be the single-most rare color on GT4s, outside of DBM, which was discontinued in Sept. 2015, and all PTS colors, of course.

For contrast, I have a 991 in GT Silver and I like the RS much, much more.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Rhodium has blue highlights resulting in more "pop" and is the least expensive of all the silver colors.

On a side note...What is funny is that the same color will cost a completely different price on different cars.
E.g.: GT Silver Metallic was $2580 on my GT4 and $720 on my 991.2 GT3
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

GT Silver is def my favorite...
Old 08-20-2017, 11:46 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU

In addition to loving the color on the GT4, RS also happens to be the single-most rare color on GT4s
My car is really rare! Not only is it RS but the car still has it's original 3rd gear.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:29 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
My car is really rare! Not only is it RS but the car still has it's original 3rd gear.

More than I can say for mine, but I'm guessing you may have known that tidbit.

But who knows, you still have a chance to replace it.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
They're all good, but I'm a GT Silver man; I've had 3 of them, starting with the 2004 986S 50 Years of 550 Spyder (yes that was actually the name of the model). To my eye, GT is the most neutral and darkest and richest of them; if you want a hint of color to your silver than the others are a better choice: polar and Rhodium for some blue, Platinum for a brown tint. Arctic was a pretty pure silver also, but not as rich nor as dark as GT. I owned an Arctic Turbo and a GT Silver 991 GTS at the same time and the Arctic definitely wilted a bit when seen next to GT.
Great comparison! Nice to see some insight on the decision of GT Silver as it is indeed a more neutral/darker/richer color.

In addition to loving the color on the GT4, RS also happens to be the single-most rare color on GT4s, outside of DBM, which was discontinued in Sept. 2015, and all PTS colors, of course.

For contrast, I have a 991 in GT Silver and I like the RS much, much more.
The rarity never came into play for me when I was first deciding on which I liked better, but now that you mention it the fact so few were made in the RS is the cherry on top.

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Rhodium has blue highlights resulting in more "pop" and is the least expensive of all the silver colors.

On a side note...What is funny is that the same color will cost a completely different price on different cars.
E.g.: GT Silver Metallic was $2580 on my GT4 and $720 on my 991.2 GT3
Very interesting the price drop on the new GT3s, I'll have to look into that to ease my curiosity
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RDCR
LOL! 2015 build year by any chance?

More than I can say for mine, but I'm guessing you may have known that tidbit.

But who knows, you still have a chance to replace it.
You're the luckier one then, because now you're eligible to put in our shorter final drive ratio without worrying about it getting shipped out to Germany with your transmission when 3rd gear breaks
Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Where can I obtain more info on your shorter final ratio for GT4? Who makes the gear?

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
LOL! 2015 build year by any chance?

You're the luckier one then, because now you're eligible to put in our shorter final drive ratio without worrying about it getting shipped out to Germany with your transmission when 3rd gear breaks
Old 08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by noro78
Where can I obtain more info on your shorter final ratio for GT4? Who makes the gear?
Our shorter final drive is going to be officially released in late September/October, if there are any specific questions I can answer before that release please feel free to give me a call any time and I'd be happy to give you some insight. We interviewed a great deal of gear manufacturers in our time developing the product, and we settled on one in Europe that we prefer to keep proprietary at this time.

Quick Reply: Favorite Silver on the GT4?