Sponsored by: APR

Sacrilege

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sacrilege

I just traded by 2016 GT4 for a 2015 GTS cab PDK!!

I can't decide if I have lost my mind. I just found the GT4 too harsh on the potholes of Chicago, the LWB were too deep for my fat old frame so I ended up choosing to drive my Golf R (stick) more often than not.

Exchange happens this weekend. I will let you all know what life is like on the other side.

It has been fun being part of this great group.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:36 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have a '15 GTS Cab PDK and absolutely love it. I also have a '16 Spyder, and while I love that too if I had to have just one car (I know, I know), it would be the 911. It just. Does. Everything so well. Hope to see some pictures over in the 991 forum soon!

And as you have another stick-shift car to scratch that itch when it needs scratching then you really will be fine...
Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Horses for courses, nothing wrong with that swap if you weren't using GT4 in its ideal environment (mountain roads and the track).
Old 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I too have a '15 GTS Cab PDK and absolutely love it. I also have a '16 Spyder, and while I love that too if I had to have just one car (I know, I know), it would be the 911. It just. Does. Everything so well. Hope to see some pictures over in the 991 forum soon!

And as you have another stick-shift car to scratch that itch when it needs scratching then you really will be fine...

Good to hear, I will post once the car arrives. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 267 Posts

BANISH HIM
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat

Originally Posted by user1029
BANISH HIM
Haha.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

It's fun swap cars. You must have driven the GTS and found it to be a 'fit' for you. And it seems as the GT4 market is still solid so a good time to get value from it.

Oh, pics or it didn't happen...
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029
BANISH HIM

Grabbing my pitchfork now! hahaha
Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Man, I wish we had found each other 60 days ago (if you could stand a GTS Coupe instead of cab). I traded the 15 GTS Coupe in my Avatar for a GT4. We could have both no doubt saved some cash!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Man, I wish we had found each other 60 days ago (if you could stand a GTS Coupe instead of cab). I traded the 15 GTS Coupe in my Avatar for a GT4. We could have both no doubt saved some cash!
Too funny although Cab was a must for me. How have you found the GT4?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

A game changer. It's taken me back to when I was new to sportscars and couldn't get enough seat time. 2100 miles in 2 months, and that's with it having spent the last 2 weeks in the collision center getting the rear end replaced (rear-ended on interstate on way home from a day at the track, ironically! )

I've reconciled with the fact I'm a Porsche mid-engined guy (at least as far as the modern water-pumpers go.) I loved my original Boxster, I loved my 986S, and I'm wild about the GT4. I liked my 997, my 996TT, 997TT, and best of all the 991 GTS, but I didn't love any of them; not the same way I seem to love the middies.

I've come to realiz that I specifically want my sportscars to be less comfortable, a little rawer, ask a little more of me. I ordered the GTS because I thought "If I get one that can double as a refined German sedan with the buttons turned off, but then get raucous with the stab of a few buttons, I'll be happy." The GTS does that brilliantly, but I found out after a couple years that I didn't actually want that. I wanted raucous all the time.

You and I both ordered the wrong cars two years ago!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

A game changer. It's taken me back to when I was new to sportscars and couldn't get enough seat time. 2100 miles in 2 months, and that's with it having spent the last 2 weeks in the collision center getting the rear end replaced (rear-ended on interstate on way home from a day at the track, ironically! )

I've reconciled with the fact I'm a Porsche mid-engined guy (at least as far as the modern water-pumpers go.) I loved my original Boxster, I loved my 986S, and I'm wild about the GT4. I liked my 997, my 996TT, 997TT, and best of all the 991 GTS, but I didn't love any of them; not the same way I seem to love the middies.

I've come to realiz that I specifically want my sportscars to be less comfortable, a little rawer, ask a little more of me. I ordered the GTS because I thought "If I get one that can double as a refined German sedan with the buttons turned off, but then get raucous with the stab of a few buttons, I'll be happy." The GTS does that brilliantly, but I found out after a couple years that I didn't actually want that. I wanted raucous all the time.

You and I both ordered the wrong cars two years ago!
You know I have been where you are. I actually went from a C4cab in my 30's to a 2004 GT3 with LWB that I daily drove and loved it. Then I bought a race car and raced PCA. Now in my 50s I find the Gt4 too tame for the track and too rough for the street. It is funny how we change, I never had that thought in the GT3. I will let you know how life with the GTS goes. My guess is, given your description of what you want, you will LOVE the GT4. Enjoy.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rabjohns
I just traded by 2016 GT4 for a 2015 GTS cab PDK!!I can't decide if I have lost my mind.

I just found the GT4 too harsh on the potholes of Chicago, ...
Completely understand,
many cities with intense winter weather that destroy roads make owning these cars very tough unless you can grimace at every wheel pounding pothole.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by rabjohns
You know I have been where you are. I actually went from a C4cab in my 30's to a 2004 GT3 with LWB that I daily drove and loved it. Then I bought a race car and raced PCA. Now in my 50s I find the Gt4 too tame for the track and too rough for the street. It is funny how we change, I never had that thought in the GT3. I will let you know how life with the GTS goes. My guess is, given your description of what you want, you will LOVE the GT4. Enjoy.
LOL, I'm also now in my 50s and perhaps I'm reverting to childhood!
The real reason I got a GT4 over a 3 this time is...

okay, I'll admit it. The 4 is just so damn much better looking. Yes, I'm vain! (Also, the 4 has all the top speed I'm looking for on my local track, Road Atlanta. 140 coming into 10A is all the bacon and then some as far as I'm concerned. Getting old and frail and frightened. )
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Sacrilege on my part too, I guess. I was able to secure an allocation and order a GT4 to my specs, and took delivery Sept 2015. As much as I loved it, I missed the drop top, so I ended up driving my wife's 3 series manual vert in pretty days. Bad days got seven series. GT4 just sat. So I was able to sell it and obtain a near brand new Spyder. I have to say I preferred the more serious ride of the GT4 a bit, but the drop top more than makes up for it. And absolutely, I'm a mid engine convert too. Last time I drive a 911 I was really disappointed.

Quick Reply: Sacrilege