DIY Camber Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM
tkbr0wn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Camber Adjustments

Hello,

Just traded in my 981 Cayman S for a GT4 about two weeks ago. I have been doing a few AutoX's in the 981S and have signed up for an HPDE in October with Peachstate PCA. Back in 2010 or so, I did a few DE's in my BMW 135 and 1M, but haven't done anything since starting up AutoX in the spring.

On my 135, I installed camber plates so I could adjust camber on track days pretty easily. I was considering getting the GT3 Lower control arms on the 981S before I pulled the trigger on the GT4.

I have looked for some DIY videos / posts for adjusting the camber on the GT4, but haven't had any luck finding anything. Can anyone here give me some advice on what I need and how to go about adjusting the camber on the GT4 for track days / autoX? Is it just shims on the LCA's or is it more than that?

Thanks in advance,

Kenny
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The methods or parts required really depends on how much camber you want. Want a little more negative? Loosen the three nuts on the top of the strut and push it in. Want maybe -2.5 or so? Shim LCAs. Need more? Do all of the above plus camber plates. Any camber change will require adjusting toe. Is it worth changing back and forth for track days? IMHO, No. With all of my cars I have used a "track alignment" that I can live with on the street. I should add that the GT4 requires aftermarket rear toe links to add much rear camber.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Totally agree with Bill.....You can live with up to -2.5 degrees up front as a dual purpose setup. You can reach that with some shims and adjusting the top of the struts all the way in. .
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Totally agree with Bill.....You can live with up to -2.5 degrees up front as a dual purpose setup. You can reach that with some shims and adjusting the top of the struts all the way in. .
I have -2.5 F/-2.0 R camber with slight toe in front and 1mm to in/side in the rear. TPC toe links rear with DSC. No issues on tire wear.

Quick Reply: DIY Camber Adjustments