Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

AutoQuest Motorsport - 981/991/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AutoQuest Motorsport - 981/991/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS

Over a period of a few months after the release of the 981/991 platforms, we discovered a common complaint amongst our clients driving and tracking various cars equipped with the new Carbon Fiber Lightweight Bucket Seats. They were uncomfortable! Especially when wearing a helmet, and even more so when using a HANS device, the issue is that the seat is too upright causing your head to be tilted forward and down, you’re left having to look up slightly to have proper visibility out the front of the car. In addition to being bothersome and uncomfortable, having your neck in this position all day can become rather tiring after a long day at the track.

After doing some research with our contacts in the industry, we discovered that due to new DOT regulations OE seats are now required to have a minimum distance between your head and the headrest. Vehicle manufacturers get around this and maintain comfort by making the headrest adjustable. Unfortunately with non-adjustable headrests like on the new LWBS, the comfort issue arises and this had led to many complaints.

After testing a multitude of different options, we settled on a design for a precisely engineered longer/angled pivot arm. The pivot arm is what the seat rotates on that increases and decreases the height of the seat when you push the button to raise or lower it. Our pivot arm changes the axis of that pivot and causes the seat to angle back further, raising the front of the seat up about 1.5 inches more and tilting the top of the seat back another 2 inches. You are still able to mount the seat normally without any modifications to the bolts or putting spacers in that could cause any potential change in structural safety. There is no change to any of the seat functions. Our Seat Angle Adjusters are made from high-tensile steel with a black E-Coat to ensure durability of the material and finish. Expect about an hour installation time per seat which can be completed by a mechanically savvy individual. Just make sure there is no power on in the car so you don’t trigger the air bag lights when you unplug the seats for removal. Our Seat Angle Adjusters do come with complete installation instructions and tech help is available.

The results have been nothing short of spectacular, and so popular we have sold hundreds just through initial word of mouth. Not only is visibility and head room now right where it needs to be (even when wearing a helmet and HANS), the angle of the seat is much more supportive and comfortable and full electronic height adjustability is still maintained. They have also proven very popular in the passenger seat as your significant other really appreciates the additional comfort on those long drives. We recommend installing them in both the driver and passenger seats. It will maintain the same aesthetics between the seats, providing the same benefits on track for an instructor/passenger or yourself if you happen to be co-piloting. Plus, you don’t end up with your significant other being upset when she finds out your seat is much more comfortable than hers. Get a set (or two), install them, enjoy them, tell all your friends, and most importantly…”Trust the Kiwi”

Fitment: All Porsche models equipped with the new 981/991/918 Carbon Fiber Lightweight Sport Bucket Seats, including but not limited to the following.

• 918 Spyder
  • 991 911R
  • 991.1/991.2 GT3
  • 991.1/991.2 GT3RS
  • 981 GT4
  • 981 Spyder
Price: $149.95 per seat

If you have any questions or are interested in placing an order, please feel free to PM me, email me at john@autoquestms.com, or call me at 484 883 6197 (Cell) or 239 432 1700 (Work, just ask for John). Also, if you are in Florida give me a shout! I'd love to meet up with some of the locals, or those that are visiting the area.

(Stock)

(AutoQuest)

Last edited by AutoQuest Motorsports; 10-25-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 571 Posts

im very interested before i order can you please post the install instructions and a picture of the adjuster. thanks carl
Old 08-09-2017, 04:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'd be interested in 2 of these pending pictures and install instructions...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Two other products from them (listed at the end on the OP) got my attention:

GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension

GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio

GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks
Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

OP....are you the same John Gaydos that worked at Fabspeed???
Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Yup, the man himself!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:51 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4carl
im very interested before i order can you please post the install instructions and a picture of the adjuster. thanks carl
It was nice chatting with you yesterday Carl, looking forward to working with you

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'd be interested in 2 of these pending pictures and install instructions...
Shooting you over a PM now : )

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Two other products from them (listed at the end on the OP) got my attention:

GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension

GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio

GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks
I appreciate that, the most incredible of which for the DE/Track guys is the MultiLink
Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by okie981
Sure am, still a Fabspeed distributor too if you ever need anything : ) Here is a link about the move down to FL.

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Yup, the man himself!
Lol thanks bud! Come and visit, we'll hit Sebring together
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

How does the seat modification affect the loading on the seat in a crash?
Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Any issue with the seat if you have a Cantrell or similar sub-belt bar installed? Wishing you success in your new position. Bill
Old 08-11-2017, 02:22 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Great product idea. But I'd like to see pics of the actual parts being sold and what is involved in the install. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Also interested pending install instructions and photo of device and answer to impact loading question.

+1 on Lehmans question about Cantrell anti sub bar

Great idea!

Last edited by needmoregarage; 08-11-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Any issue with the seat if you have a Cantrell or similar sub-belt bar installed? Wishing you success in your new position. Bill
+1

I am wondering the same thing
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I took the plunge and ordered them today. Hope to have them next week and get them fitted before a sprint event next Saturday. For not that much money it's a simple simple mod that could improve the driving experience a lot. I bought a Schroth Flex head restraint as my Hans tilted my head too far forward. Unfortunately the Flex unit only has an SFI approval and is not good for FIA events yet.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Also interested pending install instructions and photo of device and answer to impact loading question.

+1 on Lehmans question about Cantrell anti sub bar

Great idea!
Originally Posted by Klepper
+1

I am wondering the same thing
Hey guys, this does not effect any functionality of a sub-belt bar or floor-mounted center harness plate (although we also suggest the seat mounted sub-belt bars).

After a lengthy R&D process, the change to the pivot arm was the only logical solution to resolve the complaint with no change to the structural integrity and safety of the seat.

Originally Posted by Mech33
Great product idea. But I'd like to see pics of the actual parts being sold and what is involved in the install. Thanks.
PM heading your way : )

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I took the plunge and ordered them today. Hope to have them next week and get them fitted before a sprint event next Saturday. For not that much money it's a simple simple mod that could improve the driving experience a lot. I bought a Schroth Flex head restraint as my Hans tilted my head too far forward. Unfortunately the Flex unit only has an SFI approval and is not good for FIA events yet.
Thank you for the business Warwick! We have about 20 sets left and yours will be shipping out today. Fingers crossed they get there in time for your event

Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsport - 981/991/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS