Sponsored by: APR

AutoQuest Motorsport - 981/991/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 PM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolony
I installed in my drivers seat yesterday. The seat is definitely more comfortable, however being 5'7", I now have to slide the seat as far forwards as possible, and raise the seat up about an inch from full low to be able to comfortably fully push in the clutch pedal (and even then I'm kind of tippy towing it).

I'm still driving it around to see if I can get used to having the seat raised up more than I'm used to, I'm hoping I can, because the comfort is there. Once I know for sure if I can adjust, I'll install the passenger ones.
I installed mine a few days ago. Install instructions could be a little better for the mechanically uninclined, but otherwise install is a breeze. And moving forward, John and AQ are working on better instructions for everyone.

If you have LWB, these are great. If you have LWB and actually REALLY drive your car (track), these are a MUST.

For those that don't understand why... the seats are already too upright... add a helmet to that and you basically need to tilt your head up (literally) just to see what is in front of you (down the track, on flat pavement). It is terribly cumbersome, and uncomfortable on the back of your neck. Going uphill is even worse!

And what pcolony said... the seat is most reclined at the lowest seat setting, and therefore takes you further away from the pedals. The higher you raise it tho, it does recline forward, and makes it easier to reach (for the vertically challenged).

Thanks again to J.Gaydos and AQ... Great job! I look forward to more of there advents. Until then... Cheerio!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:57 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Update:

First, thank you John Gaydos for superb customer service. I really appreciate the detailed answers to every question, and the follow up phone call to see how I like the product!

I've not had a lot of seat time, but I am slowly getting used to the new position on the street. I must have the seat in the fully forward position (I used to keep it a couple clicks back from full forward). I can still work the clutch although my toe is pointed a bit and I cannot flat foot the clutch to the fully depressed position - but I never used to flat foot it so I don't see that as a problem. My left foot still rests on the dead pedal although not fully flat. I can "flatten" my foot against the dead pedal but it's unnatural. In the natural position the ball of my foot is touching and my heel might be an inch off. Again - not a problem for me - just a matter of getting used to it.

My inseam is around 30" for those trying to figure out whether the seat position will work for them. I also happen to know my shoe size is a man's size 7 (had to buy steel toe boots before readily available for women). And no.... I don't drive with steel toe boots

This weekend I'll be at Mid OH and it'll be my first test on track. I did sit in the seat with helmet and head restraint (mine is Schroth Flex) and buckled into the belts. The more reclined seat back made a HUGE difference in the position of my head and neck, and I know on the track I'm going to LOVE it!! I'll report back after the track event - but if anyone is thinking about it I can fully endorse!

As for getting in/out - I do find it a bit easier. I keep the seat in the mostly up position and when I get out I move the seat back on the rails most of the way, and drop it just a little. I always used to move the seat back to get out, and also drop - so this is not new. The only difference is that I drop it much as I don't see the need and I figure no need to work the seat motor harder than necessary.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:24 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I just had these installed on my RS. This is a very good and simply elegant solution of the upright seat back and headrest. For me, this position is comfortable right away. THIS is how the seat position should have been from the factory. Great job AutoQuest!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
I installed mine a few days ago. Install instructions could be a little better for the mechanically uninclined, but otherwise install is a breeze. And moving forward, John and AQ are working on better instructions for everyone.

If you have LWB, these are great. If you have LWB and actually REALLY drive your car (track), these are a MUST.

For those that don't understand why... the seats are already too upright... add a helmet to that and you basically need to tilt your head up (literally) just to see what is in front of you (down the track, on flat pavement). It is terribly cumbersome, and uncomfortable on the back of your neck. Going uphill is even worse!

And what pcolony said... the seat is most reclined at the lowest seat setting, and therefore takes you further away from the pedals. The higher you raise it tho, it does recline forward, and makes it easier to reach (for the vertically challenged).

Thanks again to J.Gaydos and AQ... Great job! I look forward to more of there advents. Until then... Cheerio!
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Update:

First, thank you John Gaydos for superb customer service. I really appreciate the detailed answers to every question, and the follow up phone call to see how I like the product!

I've not had a lot of seat time, but I am slowly getting used to the new position on the street. I must have the seat in the fully forward position (I used to keep it a couple clicks back from full forward). I can still work the clutch although my toe is pointed a bit and I cannot flat foot the clutch to the fully depressed position - but I never used to flat foot it so I don't see that as a problem. My left foot still rests on the dead pedal although not fully flat. I can "flatten" my foot against the dead pedal but it's unnatural. In the natural position the ball of my foot is touching and my heel might be an inch off. Again - not a problem for me - just a matter of getting used to it.

My inseam is around 30" for those trying to figure out whether the seat position will work for them. I also happen to know my shoe size is a man's size 7 (had to buy steel toe boots before readily available for women). And no.... I don't drive with steel toe boots

This weekend I'll be at Mid OH and it'll be my first test on track. I did sit in the seat with helmet and head restraint (mine is Schroth Flex) and buckled into the belts. The more reclined seat back made a HUGE difference in the position of my head and neck, and I know on the track I'm going to LOVE it!! I'll report back after the track event - but if anyone is thinking about it I can fully endorse!

As for getting in/out - I do find it a bit easier. I keep the seat in the mostly up position and when I get out I move the seat back on the rails most of the way, and drop it just a little. I always used to move the seat back to get out, and also drop - so this is not new. The only difference is that I drop it much as I don't see the need and I figure no need to work the seat motor harder than necessary.
Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I just had these installed on my RS. This is a very good and simply elegant solution of the upright seat back and headrest. For me, this position is comfortable right away. THIS is how the seat position should have been from the factory. Great job AutoQuest!
Thank you all for chiming in with more great feedback on the adjusters! It has been great working with you guys (and gal!).

Best wishes to any fellow Floridians taking on Irma this weekend. We will be here, and if you are local and need any help give me call any time (or with the Zello app - username"TopStig"). Be safe!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:42 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm, this may solve the problem of my GFs uncomfortableness without putting a standard seat in to replace the passengers LWBS. Which I don't even know if it is possible.

Go ahead and shoot me a PM as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Had three fantastic days at Mid-OH. Drove more track miles in one weekend than ever before (estimated 500+ miles!)

The seat position is FANTASTIC! A couple notes:

Head & neck comfort like never before (with helmet on)
Helmet stayed in place rather than the seatback pushing it down over my eyes
Mirrors didn't need adjusting!

I didn't realize until day #2 that I had never adjusted my mirrors for the track. Usually after I strap in I have to significantly adjust mirrors because my head is in such a weird position. But my normal mirror setting was fine. This is a FIRST!!

I "sold" two more sets.

One owner felt the same - she hated the way her head was pushed forward by the seat with helmet on.

The other owner didn't have any issues with the "regular" seat position. Said it wasn't a problem for him (I'd guess he's around 5'10"). After my girlfriend sat in my seat with helmet on and proclaimed OMG!! This is GREAT!! - he got in my car to see what all the fuss was about and said he can see exactly why it makes a difference. He didn't really recognize the issue until he felt the difference.

Of course I gave John's contact info to both and they have probably already ordered their kits.

If you're on the fence - just get it. You'll be glad you did!

(I have no stake in AutoQuest and do not in any way profit from their sales. Just a satisfied customer).
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Email sent John!

Got an awful neck ache/muscle spasm/pinched nerve after my track day this past Sunday (my first in the newly acquired GT4). Hoping these will help.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Hi AutoQuest, how is the restocking effort going on these? Hope the post-Irma reconstruction is going smoothly.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

+1 hoping the recovery from Irma is going as smoothly as possible!

Update:

Hubby - who initially found the new seat position uncomfortable - now finds it better than stock. With his very bad back it took him longer to adjust. He is now considering modifying another seat.

We just finished a 1200 mile trip in LWB and after a few hundred miles we talked about seat position and he said he could see how the Autoquest seat adjuster arm made a difference (in the other car) especially on a long trip (obviously no helmets involved). Now that he's had a "car to car" comparison and a lot of seat time in both - he is definitely a fan of the Autoquest product. For reference he is just shy of 6', inseam is around 32". He is probably 40 jacket size, and finds his shoulders are more comfortable in the slightly more reclined position. It also takes some stress off his lower back (which is a very big deal in his ability to enjoy the car).

Maybe it'll be a winter project.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 09-29-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:53 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Had three fantastic days at Mid-OH. Drove more track miles in one weekend than ever before (estimated 500+ miles!)

The seat position is FANTASTIC! A couple notes:

Head & neck comfort like never before (with helmet on)
Helmet stayed in place rather than the seatback pushing it down over my eyes
Mirrors didn't need adjusting!

I didn't realize until day #2 that I had never adjusted my mirrors for the track. Usually after I strap in I have to significantly adjust mirrors because my head is in such a weird position. But my normal mirror setting was fine. This is a FIRST!!

I "sold" two more sets.

One owner felt the same - she hated the way her head was pushed forward by the seat with helmet on.

The other owner didn't have any issues with the "regular" seat position. Said it wasn't a problem for him (I'd guess he's around 5'10"). After my girlfriend sat in my seat with helmet on and proclaimed OMG!! This is GREAT!! - he got in my car to see what all the fuss was about and said he can see exactly why it makes a difference. He didn't really recognize the issue until he felt the difference.

Of course I gave John's contact info to both and they have probably already ordered their kits.

If you're on the fence - just get it. You'll be glad you did!

(I have no stake in AutoQuest and do not in any way profit from their sales. Just a satisfied customer).
+1 hoping the recovery from Irma is going as smoothly as possible!

Update:

Hubby - who initially found the new seat position uncomfortable - now finds it better than stock. With his very bad back it took him longer to adjust. He is now considering modifying another seat.

We just finished a 1200 mile trip in LWB and after a few hundred miles we talked about seat position and he said he could see how the Autoquest seat adjuster arm made a difference (in the other car) especially on a long trip (obviously no helmets involved). Now that he's had a "car to car" comparison and a lot of seat time in both - he is definitely a fan of the Autoquest product. For reference he is just shy of 6', inseam is around 32". He is probably 40 jacket size, and finds his shoulders are more comfortable in the slightly more reclined position. It also takes some stress off his lower back (which is a very big deal in his ability to enjoy the car).

Maybe it'll be a winter project.
Carol thank you for the excellent feedback as always : ) It is great to hear our adjusters are making a wave in your local enthusiast group! I did receive some inquiries after that day and they should be receiving their sets shortly. I appreciate the referrals!

I'm also quite pleased to hear that Jim has taken a liking to the adjusters with his bad back. Perhaps I can add "therapeutic" to the product description now lol

Always a pleasure chatting with you, and have a great upcoming weekend.

Also very
Old 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DrJay
Hmmm, this may solve the problem of my GFs uncomfortableness without putting a standard seat in to replace the passengers LWBS. Which I don't even know if it is possible.

Go ahead and shoot me a PM as well.
PM heading your way now, appreciate the interest!

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Email sent John!

Got an awful neck ache/muscle spasm/pinched nerve after my track day this past Sunday (my first in the newly acquired GT4). Hoping these will help.
Hoping we connected via email, it's hard to keep track of who is who on here haha. If not, give me a shout I'm back up and running now!
Old 09-29-2017, 02:01 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

To Mech33 and all others that put in preorders...

Yesterday I received our latest batch and shipped out all the existing preorders for our seat angle adjusters. There were so many that we went through almost the whole batch! Thank you all very much for your patience while we get back on our feet from Irma. It has definitely been a difficult time, but spirits are high and our remodeling will be better than before. Have a great upcoming weekend! : )
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

This is very simple and elegant solution and I really like the new seat position plus importantly, no problem wearing a HANS device with my helmet now.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:07 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
This is very simple and elegant solution and I really like the new seat position plus importantly, no problem wearing a HANS device with my helmet now.
I'm glad you like them Warwick, it's a pleasure to have a fellow over in Australia running them : ) Are you doing mostly tracks days are this point? I'd love to see another GT4 running Targa with Tim Hendy haha
Old 10-07-2017, 02:21 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Heads up guys! We just released our shorter final drive ratio to take care of that long gearing once and for all! : )

Quick Reply: AutoQuest Motorsport - 981/991/918 Seat Angle Adjusters for Carbon Fiber LWBS