Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

More power for the GT4 - any valid numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
Just an update. I ran in the event yesterday and did OK but my main straight best terminal speed before my braking marker was the same vmax of 223kph. It was a very hot day (38C) and the mods may have worker better if it was about 10C cooler but still, one could not say that it was a great result; I was hoping for circa 230kph top speed. Having now run in a few events at different tracks, I've reached the conclusion that the best upgrade for this car would be better tyres....The MPSCupIIs are just not in the same league as Yoko AO50's and one can only hope that someone will make a proper R-Spec tyre for a this car in a 20" sometime soon.
Hi Warwick, thanks for this, have been following your progress, for reference we did a twilight drive back in December with track temps around the 40-42! and speeds at the end of the straight were in the 220-225 range, stock and gps verified.

whats sort of times were you putting down with your current set up?

p.s. i have removed the swift springs, although the car was better before approx. 1-2 sec per lap on the GP circuit, i could not get it up the driveway...
Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi .dee, my speeds were 10 hz GPS and I've not seen over 223. We were running on the North circuit on Saturday in a BMW Club sprint event. My best was 1:11.98 and I came 6th out of 52. 5th was a 991 GT3RS with a 1:10.77. The top 4 were race cars. My best at the GP circuit on a track day with 100% stock was 1:47. The car is quite a bit slower than my old 996.1 GT3 which has run a sub 1:42 but it is what it is. I'm going to try some Trofeo R's which the Victorian guys say work well at PI and they did a good job at Bathurst last November. I am going to run the car in this year's PCNSW Supersprint series and it would be good to run against some other GT4's.
I'll stick with the TB and IPD for a while though it seems to add zero at present.....might be interested in your springs though if you want to PM me.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:09 AM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi .dee, my speeds were 10 hz GPS and I've not seen over 223. We were running on the North circuit on Saturday in a BMW Club sprint event. My best was 1:11.98 and I came 6th out of 52. 5th was a 991 GT3RS with a 1:10.77. The top 4 were race cars. My best at the GP circuit on a track day with 100% stock was 1:47. The car is quite a bit slower than my old 996.1 GT3 which has run a sub 1:42 but it is what it is. I'm going to try some Trofeo R's which the Victorian guys say work well at PI and they did a good job at Bathurst last November. I am going to run the car in this year's PCNSW Supersprint series and it would be good to run against some other GT4's.
I'll stick with the TB and IPD for a while though it seems to add zero at present.....might be interested in your springs though if you want to PM me.
Thanks Warrick, I ran a low 1.46 with the springs on a stock car otherwise and 1.47-1.48 without on the GP circuit, the car feels much better with the springs with little to no under steer, but it is approximate an 1" lower, which is my issue.

I am going out on Wednesday morning with the CPC guys to get a few laps in before heading off OS, the only difference in the current set up to the earlier one are the rear offset toe links (allowing -2.0 Camber) and front (Medium) and rear (Hard) sway bars.

re: springs you can have them for 50% ($500) if you want
Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Just an update. I ran in the event yesterday and did OK but my main straight best terminal speed before my braking marker was the same vmax of 223kph. .
have you got a tune as well or jus the IPD hardware with no tune file ?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

My experience is not that great with modding my GT4. Currently have cargraphics race headers, IPD plenum, 82mm throttle and tune (Tune came with the package). Dyno at 368whp. Top speed on the main straight is within 2kph of when the car was stock (using aim datalogger). My conclusion is that the mods dont work.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:25 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BRNGT4
My experience is not that great with modding my GT4. Currently have cargraphics race headers, IPD plenum, 82mm throttle and tune (Tune came with the package). Dyno at 368whp. Top speed on the main straight is within 2kph of when the car was stock (using aim datalogger). My conclusion is that the mods dont work.
Def go for a retune.. Your location can't be easily accounted for with a canned tune.

Hope you find the results you were looking for. GL
Old 02-06-2017, 04:24 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BRNGT4
how much are at the crank?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:38 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Didn't shakenbake also post that his car with mods wasn't faster than a stock car on the straights?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
have you got a tune as well or jus the IPD hardware with no tune file ?
No tune but the OEM ECU should be able to use the additional air supply. My conclusion at this stage is that best improvement for lap times would be to fit cup brake calipers and 18 wheels so that proper competition R-Spec tyres can be fitted, this would be followed by a higher FD.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

No tune but the OEM ECU should be able to use the additional air supply. My conclusion at this stage is that best improvement for lap times would be to fit cup brake calipers and 18 wheels so that proper competition R-Spec tyres can be fitted, this would be followed by a higher FD.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Cobb had come online to say that the stock ecu wouldn't maximize the increased air supply.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Two areas of performance:

1. Peak performance/peak power (hp, top trap speeds, 0-60, etc)
2. Drivability, which can increase pleasure in use as well as cumulative speed

Sounds like BRNGT4 isn't seeing improvements in #1 to merit the expense. Sadly, that's par for the course with a lot of aftermarket gear. Whether or not a tune would improve his findings, I have no idea. I have been told by someone in the factory that the X51 plenum needs work to fit in the GT4 but does not need a tune to be taken advantage of. Still waiting to hear back about headers + plenum.

All a lot of speculation until there is better data.

Now, about area #2, driveability...that is much harder to document, but it can make ALL the difference. One race car can generate more g around a skidpad, and be lapped on track by a car with less grip in outright terms. This is true in every area of a car's performance...
Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
I have been told by someone in the factory that the X51 plenum needs work to fit in the GT4 but does not need a tune to be taken advantage of.
John at BGB motorsports was kind enough to briefly explain those modifications : as I understand it,the plenum interferes with something that it's part of the body,so some material needs to be removed/modified and there's also an issue with the coolant reservoir's location. It certainly didn't sound like a major fitment issue that Porsche led us to believe.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Two areas of performance:

1. Peak performance/peak power (hp, top trap speeds, 0-60, etc)
2. Drivability, which can increase pleasure in use as well as cumulative speed

Sounds like BRNGT4 isn't seeing improvements in #1 to merit the expense. Sadly, that's par for the course with a lot of aftermarket gear. Whether or not a tune would improve his findings, I have no idea. I have been told by someone in the factory that the X51 plenum needs work to fit in the GT4 but does not need a tune to be taken advantage of. Still waiting to hear back about headers + plenum.

All a lot of speculation until there is better data.

Now, about area #2, driveability...that is much harder to document, but it can make ALL the difference. One race car can generate more g around a skidpad, and be lapped on track by a car with less grip in outright terms. This is true in every area of a car's performance...
Working in the medical field, I'm all too familiar wth placebo effect.. human brain has a crazy way to make itself belief something it thinks it should believe. So maybe after we spend $ on mods we want to believe will work, then we actually feel them working. Maybe.

But I challenge anyone with a regular spyder or gt4 to get into mine and not feel a massive difference from stock. 'UUGE difference from stock. Before it was strangled, now it's an animal. Smoothness, torque fullness, lugging from lower gears it just continues to pull all the way to redline, let alone the increased volume after 4K rpm. It has made the car immensely more enjoyable to drive. So.. even if it's only Stout's #2 which changes, I still have zero regrets and would redo it all over again, especially considering how easily reversible everything is. but I'd be really surprised if #1 didn't change also.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Working in the medical field, I'm all too familiar wth placebo effect.. human brain has a crazy way to make itself belief something it thinks it should believe. So maybe after we spend $ on mods we want to believe will work, then we actually feel them working. Maybe.

But I challenge anyone with a regular spyder or gt4 to get into mine and not feel a massive difference from stock. 'UUGE difference from stock. Before it was strangled, now it's an animal. Smoothness, torque fullness, lugging from lower gears it just continues to pull all the way to redline, let alone the increased volume after 4K rpm. It has made the car immensely more enjoyable to drive. So.. even if it's only Stout's #2 which changes, I still have zero regrets and would redo it all over again, especially considering how easily reversible everything is. but I'd be really surprised if #1 didn't change also.
What setup are you running CAIexio? I looked through the thread but could not find it.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Yes, I think there is something to that. And good on your for admitting it. A lot of people can't, especially after spending money on a product. Exhaust mods are one of the biggies that do this for people, along with intakes: It's louder > It's faster.

So.. even if it's only Stout's #2 which changes, I still have zero regrets and would redo it all over again, especially considering how easily reversible everything is. but I'd be really surprised if #1 didn't change also.
To me, a real and noticeable improvement in #2 is enough to spend $$$ to $,$$$ on, and maybe even $$,$$$. Unless I am racing, which I am not in a street car, qualitative matters more than quantitative. I remember driving a hot-rod air/oi-cooled 911 years ago with a big dollar engine ($50k or some such) that didn't feel fast. It was fast, but it didn't feel fast. It felt about as quick as a stock US 993 (which feel good but not "fast"). In a perverse way, it was kind of an incredible achievement, but talk about a bummer: The car could get you in big trouble with the law, but somehow wasn't any more fun than a stock one, and was 2x the price of another car like it.

Of course, if one is chasing lap times, #1 matters—but if #2 improves driveability, usability, or driver confidence, it can have same or greater effect than gains in #1—especially if #1 gains come with sacrifices in #2.

Quick Reply: More power for the GT4 - any valid numbers?