Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:57 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

The 981 and 982 bodies are essentially the same, the turbo in the latter takes the space of the missing front two cylinders.
We also know that the MA175/6 engine fits because TPC has a GT3 intake manifold for the 981 9A1.
In order to fit the MA175/6 (3.8L/4.0L) in the 982 Porsche would either need to loose the dry sump, which would block the intake, or relocate it.
The 991.2 GT3 MA176 isn't new, it's just another revision of the same basic engine with DLC and oiling improvements.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

After literally the first 2 laps of the Conti race, it's clear the Cayman GT4 needs that 4.0L motor....every other GT4 car has more power and is detuned, BMW M4 GT4 will be no exception either. My guess is they are BOP'ing the field with the Cayman GT4 running uncorked/wide open with it's current motor.

Needs more power, and they can detune it back if needed for BOP purposes.

GT4 RS will be the homologation car moving forward. It's the right move.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM
rraustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Before trying the Ring on my own, I had a 3-day class where the course is closed, limited to 100 cars (very uncrowded on 13 miles), and we learned the track in 7 sections of about 2 miles each (only drive one section at a time repeatedly until moving to next section - put together whole lap after days of this). Much safer and easier to learn this way.

http://www.scuderia-s7.com/en/

This one is similar (one day longer and more expensive):

http://www.scuderia-hanseat.de/en/home.html

Highly recommended!
Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Well done, imo, this is the only good way to go with this track, i.e.: learning it by sections.
Doing it by yourself could be quite dangerous. It is like a public road with no reverse traffic, ..in a place with no speed limit.

But, still, I do not like it and this is up to know, the only track that I have driven that gave me this feeling The great thing is the "aura" around it, but for my taste, Spa is a lot more like a great track "should" be. So great to arrive there, having a garage, where you can have (inside) the tow vehicle, the trailer, and can unload the car, everything inside. ..i.e.: you arrive and just feel everything is well set. You even have your own bathroom in your garage !!

And then this track is so great.
Btw, to "limit" off subject text, I made a small "report" here :
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...l#post13160957

By the way, another great track to visit is "Paul Ricard" at Le Castellet (France). Less elevations than Spa, but quite nice. Infrastructure absolutely first class, even better than Spa. Another great advantage : it is in the Côte d'Azur, or, ..palm trees, sun, and etc.. (a GREAT climate).
Last time I was there, after the morning sessions, the afternoon, they removed the chicane in the middle of the Mistral straight, or ..1.2 miles flat out. (When you have the needle near 170mph, Motorsport become different !)
For the ones that like speed (I do), I would also recommend Monza, I just love it. Kind of opposite of the Ring, even with the memory of my age, after two laps, you know exactly where you are !

Sorry again for the off topic posts, in this great subject. I present all my excuses to rk-d, the subject owner.
I spent 4 days at the ring last June with a group put together by Ross Bentley (of Speedsecrets fame). To learn the ring we started driving it in simulators Forza and iracing six months before. Ross and another coach actually did lead/follow with us on Forza over internet connections. After many hours of simulator practice I had the track memorized by the time we got there and never felt lost. We also had coaching there from Ron Simmons the owner of RSRNurburg (www.rsrnurburg.com) and his team who know the track very well. We had two touristenfahrten days (buses, etc) and two full-track days.

I highly recommend driving the ring during touristenfahrten days or even better on tracks days (no stop in the middle of the long strait Dottinger Hohe). Speeds of 180 and more depending on car/driver on Dottinger. I drove a Nissan GTR and was willing to do 175mph before I chickened out. The car had more.

The Nurburgring is a pinnacle experience for track junkies. If you can you should get there.......But, do your home work with an at home simulator and you will maximize the expereince.

Ross Bentley (www.speedsecrets) is sponsoring another trip to the Nurburgring with RSRNurburg this Spring. If you are interested, just PM me.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Manthey racing already offer an upgrade for the club sport GT4 to make it competitive. i heard it cost EUR 15k on top of a std clubsport

most teams i heard coughed it up.
Manthey racing is porsche owned as well.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Manthey racing already offer an upgrade for the club sport GT4 to make it competitive. i heard it cost EUR 15k on top of a std clubsport

most teams i heard coughed it up.
Manthey racing is porsche owned as well.
They shed 88 pounds and made some suspension tweaks.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:48 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong, but I believe the Daytona podium today was swept by non-MR GT4s; Daytona is a track that rewards HP so the GT4s did well it seems.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gregp714
I may be wrong, but I believe the Daytona podium today was swept by non-MR GT4s; Daytona is a track that rewards HP so the GT4s did well it seems.
Yes. Same exact cars from last season.

1st Place: Trent Hindman - Body Motion GT4 Clubsport
2nd Place: CJ Wilson Racing GT4 Clubsport
3rd Place: CJ Wilson Racing GT4 Clubsport
4th Place: Cobb Tuning GT4 Clubsport
Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

Impressive.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gregp714
It was an endurance race. Mustangs were faster around the track, but they had issues. Still think the club sport has room for better power / weight which could potentially come with an RS road car to use as a base.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:12 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mustangs do seem faster but their drivers admitted the Cayman GT4 has better aero (less drag) which allowed better cornering. This was evident in the race broadcast. It was good racing though. The mustangs might be much better going forward this season. We will see...
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Don't you mean 991.1? What revision are they on the engine now? Is that the final fix?

All speculation just like this thread. Did you buy yours to drive or to speculate?
So what is the consensus so far on current GT4 Prices if Porsche does a 2018 model?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 143 Posts

well Trump will add 35% tax so good luck buying new models at todays prices !
Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

the mustangs do not seem faster they ARE faster as was clearly visible in laptimes and in ways they moved that car through the field

the only reason the mustang didn't win is that they had 2 drive through penalties for simple pit rule violations.

after each penalty they quite quickly charged through the field.... they just ran out of time after the 2nd penalty to move back to first...
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I would guess from a price perspective its probably the 991.1 GT3 RS which will suffer the most from a manual version of the 991.2 GT3 RS, Porsche seems to have made plenty of them too. IF Porsche sells the 718 GT4 RS for a much higher price, existing 981 GT4's should be ok. Will Porsche make a 4.0 litre 6 cylinder Spyder too ?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:44 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting photo shopped image of what a GT4 RS Could look like enjoy ...

Quick Reply: GT4 RS in the works? Rumors of a 4.0...