Interstate GT4 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interstate GT4 purchase

Hi folks,

First of all, please forgive my broken English. After living in the state for 6 year, I still find English a hard language for me to master. I finally find the GT4 I want from a dealer in Florida, after my 981 got stolen. Many thanks to the rennlisters who helped me along the way, thank you guys!

The car was a leasing vehicle previously (from Florida), and I live in CA. The dealer told me if I decided to purchase the car. They will pay off the lease on car, and I will receive the title and bill of sale later (from what I was told those docs will not come together with the car). Then I need to do the registration and title transfer myself at CA DMV. Since this is my first time interstate car purchase, I want to ask Rnnlisters if this sounds right to you guys. And if there is anything I need to watch out for, so that dealing with DMV won’t turn out to be a nightmare.

Many thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 379 Posts

I got my car from a dealer in Texas. The dealer should be able to handle the transfer of title and sales tax/DMV fees for you but you will need to do the following when the car arrives in Calif:

Pull the carpet off the engine cover and drive it to your local DMV. I had a local dealer pull and reinstall the carpet for me because it's not the easiest thing to remove. The DMV will verify the VIN# of the car and verify by looking at the sticker on the metal engine cover (that's under the carpet) that the car meets federal smog requirements.

From there take it to any smog station and have a smog inspection done on it and you should be done.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDCR
I got my car from a dealer in Texas. The dealer should be able to handle the transfer of title and sales tax/DMV fees for you but you will need to do the following when the car arrives in Calif:

Pull the carpet off the engine cover and drive it to your local DMV. I had a local dealer pull and reinstall the carpet for me because it's not the easiest thing to remove. The DMV will verify the VIN# of the car and verify by looking at the sticker on the metal engine cover (that's under the carpet) that the car meets federal smog requirements.

From there take it to any smog station and have a smog inspection done on it and you should be done.
Thank you for the reply. The dealer told me since I gotta a pretty good deal on the car already (7.5K over MSRP with CPO and 960 miles on the car). And it is too much work for them to handle the paper work, they will just let me to it myself. Is this right ? Or I should insist on letting them do all the paper work for me. The problem is I have already put down the deposit, and maybe there is not much more room for me to negotiate...

Last edited by esse10229; 09-15-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:20 PM
bretster
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by esse10229
The dealer told me if I decided to purchase the car. They will pay off the lease on car, and I will receive the title and bill of sale later..
Many thanks!
Is this a Porsche dealer trying to sell a car leased from Porsche Financial.Services? Or a used car dealer? Sounds they are trying to sell you something that they do not own.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:23 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Congrats on the car (hopefully!).

Are you buying it from a Porsche dealer?

Out of state sales/purchases are extremely common and not
something I would worry much about.

You are on the right track to educate yourself on the transaction but keep in mind each state has their particular laws. For example, I'm in Colorado and bought my GT4 new in Kansas and the dealer did not collect any taxes nor did they submit any docs to the DMV. This was different from my previous out of state purchase experiences but was 'normal' for Kansas.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:23 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Originally Posted by bretster
Is this a Porsche dealer trying to sell a car leased from Porsche Financial.Services? Or a used car dealer? Sounds they are trying to sell you something that they do not own.
It is a Porsche dealer. And it shows on the carfax it is a leasing car. From what the salesman said, it seems the car hasn't been paid off yet.....
Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Thank you for the reply. The dealer told me since I gotta a pretty good deal on the car already (75K over MSRP with CPO and 960 miles on the car). And it is too much work for them to handle the paper work, they will just let me to it myself. Is this right ? Or I should insist on letting them do all the paper work for me. The problem is I have already put down the deposit, and maybe there is not much more room for me to negotiate...
That raises a red flag.

Waiting for a FL resident to chime in.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 PM
esse10229
Advanced

The dealer name is: Porsche West Broward in FL, and it is a white GT4. I found from autotrader
Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

You paid $75k over MSRP?!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:10 AM
esse10229
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You paid $75k over MSRP?!
7.5K lol, sorry for the confusion
Old 09-15-2016, 12:14 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

$75k over MSRP sounds way out of line.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 AM
golem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. The dealer told me since I gotta a pretty good deal on the car already (7.5K over MSRP with CPO and 960 miles on the car). And it is too much work for them to handle the paper work, they will just let me to it myself. Is this right ? Or I should insist on letting them do all the paper work for me. The problem is I have already put down the deposit, and maybe there is not much more room for me to negotiate...
Titling the car would take about as much effort from the dealer as it would to you since the car would need to get smogged first, the certificate sent to the out of state dealer and then everything sent to the DMV. It might be faster to do everything yourself if you have the spare time.

In CA you need the 1) title and bill of sale 2) a smog certificate (any smog station can do this) 3) proof of insurance 4) REG 343 to register an out of state car and 5) REG 31 vehicle verification form.

You can get your vehicle verified by the DMV, CHP or a AAA office I believe. DMV offices have a special lane you can pull into next to the test drive lane where they will verify your vehicle without you having to step inside and take a number. As mentioned above they will need to see the vin and emissions plate on the engine so probably the easiest way would be to go to a dealer locally and have them pull off the carpet cover. Otherwise i believe instructions are floating around online

Also if the car has been plated they might want those.

Here is the relevant DMV page

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...es/howto/htvr9
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

AAA doesn't do VIN verification. Choice is either CHP or a VIN verification service. I used a service.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 AM
Type901
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
AAA doesn't do VIN verification. Choice is either CHP or a VIN verification service. I used a service.
+1 on the VIN verification service. It saved me a lot of time/hassle and I was able to have it done without removing any carpet or interior trim.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

If it's a Porsche dealer you'll be fine. Just register it when it gets here and title it when you get the title.

Quick Reply: Interstate GT4 purchase