Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Need input, oil problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

I've done the same. I try to make it a point to go back and read after posting.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
So.... the dealer says the drain plug is aluminum, and they suspect that the threads were "weak". So they have "replaced the drain plug and O-ring".

I'm going to talk to the head of the service department in more detail when I pick up the car. This was the first oil change, so how can the treads have "weakened". Sounds to me like they either re-used the crush washer (service advisor calling it an O-ring), did not use a crush washer, did not tighten the plug enough, or over torqued it and stripped threads.

Either way it is an amateurish result for a Porsche dealer on one of the most basic maintenance items. I'm really disappointed. I've had six cars from this dealer, however, and this is my first negative service experience. Not sure if I should let this one slide....
You can't let this slide.. You need to bring this up to the service manager and explain how bad this looks on their reputation..
An oil change is as basic as it gets.. if they screwed that up, I would not want to return for further work.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
You can't let this slide.. You need to bring this up to the service manager and explain how bad this looks on their reputation..
An oil change is as basic as it gets.. if they screwed that up, I would not want to return for further work.
+1, talk about an amateur job on something so simple. I wouldn't task these guys with polishing my wheel weights. Sorry to hear of your experience OP
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM
blackmist27
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 41 Posts

sounds like a stripped oil plug threads or missing washer. should be able to get that retapped easily
Old 09-15-2016, 03:44 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

So.... the dealer says the drain plug is aluminum, and they suspect that the threads were "weak". So they have "replaced the drain plug and O-ring".

I'm going to talk to the head of the service department in more detail when I pick up the car. This was the first oil change, so how can the treads have "weakened". Sounds to me like they either re-used the crush washer (service advisor calling it an O-ring), did not use a crush washer, did not tighten the plug enough, or over torqued it and stripped threads.

Either way it is an amateurish result for a Porsche dealer on one of the most basic maintenance items. I'm really disappointed. I've had six cars from this dealer, however, and this is my first negative service experience. Not sure if I should let this one slide....
Right. They screwed up and are blaming weak threads... While the dealer is in a tough spot, misleading the customer is not the best path to take.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many dealers hire lower paid "wrenches" for what should be simple, repetitive tasks like oil changes, rather than assign their Porsche trained silver or gold techs. So your oil change may have been done by a guy who was working at Jiffy Lube last week ... or delivering pizzas. I'd be curious if one of their trained Porsche techs did the work.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

I wouldn't let them just use an oversized tap. At a minimum I'd want it Time-Certed so you can use the same plug. If the threads were not up to spec maybe Porsche owes you a new oil pan.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Babakazoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get away from that dealership quick....

Go to a Porsche cerified guy quick!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

if the pan threads are screwed up you cant re-tap them. you need a time sert type repair. that requires drilling and tapping and produces metal shavings not good things to have in your oil pan.
if in fact they did strip the oil pan then the only thing to do is replace it or remove it to install the time sert. My gut is the pan is ok and they just didn't tighten the plug or didn't put the washer on.

i had a similar experience with a M3 the dealer had to replace the differential and the tech got a phone call and forgot the tighten the bolts on the half shaft which fell of the car right when i got off the freeway. a minute sonner and it would have caused a crash.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:15 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey everyone, final explanation from dealer.....

Wait for it......

"Split crush washer". Anyone ever seen that?????
Old 09-16-2016, 10:49 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 635 Posts

Hey everyone, final explanation from dealer.....

Wait for it......

"Split crush washer". Anyone ever seen that?????
impossible its a 1/16 thick aluminum ring that is compressed.
ask to see it.. they keep changing their story..so much for weak drain plug threads.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:40 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 379 Posts

Messed up threads on your pan will never go away and the minute you have someone else change the oil the finger pointing will start. I'd want to make sure I had someone inspect the pan even if it means draining all the new oil or at the very least log this officially with PCNA somehow and do a visual inspection during the next oil change before the oil/plug goes back in.

I owned a Honda Ridgeline where a honda dealer had stripped the pan threads and glued the plug back in. A local speedee oil change caught it and luckily the dealer in question fixed it without too much fuss. Evidently the tech had done it to someone else's car and been let go so the dealer didn't argue much and installed some sort of insert.

Quick Reply: Need input, oil problem