Sponsored by: APR

Problems using Track Precision App with hi res GPS receiver

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:44 AM
brel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems using Track Precision App with hi res GPS receiver

I am having problems using the App with an external GPS receiver - Qstarz 818XT. When I set up a new track in the app using "via Map" option, it doesn't recognize finish reliably. If I stop the app manually no data is recorded, but I can find a video of my session.

Everything works fine using phone's GPS (Samsung S4). My guess is that much higher accuracy of the external GPS receiver results in a narrower Start/Finish zone and the app misses it.

I wonder if it's unique to my setup or others are experiencing similar issues.

Hey Porsche app developers, are you listening?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Did someone mention the track app?

Good luck with that. You'll need it. Porsche really dropped the ball on that pile of sh*t they sold to a bunch of us.

The 'developers' have reached out to some of US to do testing for THEM. Who sells a overpriced product, doesn't test it properly, and then asks the customers to help them test it afterwards?

Last edited by orthojoe; 07-11-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:49 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brel
I am having problems using the App with an external GPS receiver - Qstarz 818XT. When I set up a new track in the app using "via Map" option, it doesn't recognize finish reliably. If I stop the app manually no data is recorded, but I can find a video of my session.

Everything works fine using phone's GPS (Samsung S4). My guess is that much higher accuracy of the external GPS receiver results in a narrower Start/Finish zone and the app misses it.

I wonder if it's unique to my setup or others are experiencing similar issues.

Hey Porsche app developers, are you listening?
I'm on iOS and have used two different external GPS devices. They both worked fine and I haven't had the problems you're seeing. What happens if you define your own track - not at an actual track but just around your own neighborhood? I did that when I was testing Track Precision and it made it easier to duplicate some problems I had.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 AM
brel
Advanced

Originally Posted by FergusH
I'm on iOS and have used two different external GPS devices. They both worked fine and I haven't had the problems you're seeing. What happens if you define your own track - not at an actual track but just around your own neighborhood? I did that when I was testing Track Precision and it made it easier to duplicate some problems I had.
This is exactly what I did - marked stop and finish on the opposite sides of a block in my neighborhood and drove around it. On the very first lap it seems to work - I can see Start triggering the recording and Finish stopping it, but for all the following laps I only get start. I've tied two different phones, reinstalled everything from scratch with not much success.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:20 AM
brel
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Did someone mention the track app?

Good luck with that. You'll need it. Porsche really dropped the ball on that pile of sh*t they sold to a bunch of us.

The 'developers' have reached out to some of US to do testing for THEM. Who sells a overpriced product, doesn't test it properly, and then asks the customers to help them test it afterwards?
Yes, Porsche really messed up with the app. The idea is great, but the implementation really sucks. Hopefully, if enough of us complain loudly enough, they'll do something about it. It's a small matter of programming...
Old 07-11-2016, 03:36 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

My wish list for the Track Precision app:

1. Instant video transfer to youtube/internet.

2. Built in camera so Iphone camera not required.

3. Full telemetry software integrated into the PCM full size screen.

How hard would it be for Porsche to simply license it from Harry's or AIM???
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

I have not had any problems with VBox Sport. I use it with an ipod touch dedicated to the track app and the set up was pretty easy and has not given me any issues jn that regard. It did not have the track I was on but I was able to create it with the start/finish mark on add track via map.

However, I use Circuit Tools and have not been able to import any data from the track app. I am getting ready to order one video HD2 from Peter and get over it, which is really frustrating considering the track app and the HD2 have nearly similar prices and one is light years ahead in benefit and reliability. The track app video looks pretty but it is hard to compare laps so besides showing it around, the video is pretty useless. The fact that exporting to youtube is a mission makes it even worse. Not to mention the few sessions that the app just decided not to capture any video (all black with data from car on bottom and audio). Not sure why. So yes, overall pretty disappointed and just hope Porsche figures it out soon.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:32 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by aalencar
I have not had any problems with VBox Sport. I use it with an ipod touch dedicated to the track app and the set up was pretty easy and has not given me any issues jn that regard. It did not have the track I was on but I was able to create it with the start/finish mark on add track via map.

However, I use Circuit Tools and have not been able to import any data from the track app. I am getting ready to order one video HD2 from Peter and get over it, which is really frustrating considering the track app and the HD2 have nearly similar prices and one is light years ahead in benefit and reliability. The track app video looks pretty but it is hard to compare laps so besides showing it around, the video is pretty useless. The fact that exporting to youtube is a mission makes it even worse. Not to mention the few sessions that the app just decided not to capture any video (all black with data from car on bottom and audio). Not sure why. So yes, overall pretty disappointed and just hope Porsche figures it out soon.
I have a HD2 already and it's great. Very, very happy with it so far.

Because I'm glutton for punishment, I'm still trying to get Track Precision to work. My car has a problem right now that's making the connection unreliable but no one else seems to have that specific problem; it's the red error in this screen:

Are you exporting .vbo files from Track Precision and hoping to open them in Circuit Tools to see things like RPM and brake pressure, data that comes from the car?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Are you exporting .vbo files from Track Precision and hoping to open them in Circuit Tools to see things like RPM and brake pressure, data that comes from the car?
Yep. I have not been able to make Circuit Tools open the .vbo files. I was even dreaming to use the video from Track Precision but looks like its just a dream. Therefore I will get an HD2 but will likely continue to use track precision concomitantly.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

There are a couple of issues with the track precision app and vbo export for circuit tools. See my thread in the data analysts sub forum under performance forum for details
I worked with Porsche and race logic and they have identified the issues ( plural)

There should be an updated tpa shortly. I will check with Porsche and report back
Old 07-13-2016, 03:50 AM
brel
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcD147
There are a couple of issues with the track precision app and vbo export for circuit tools. See my thread in the data analysts sub forum under performance forum for details
I worked with Porsche and race logic and they have identified the issues ( plural)

There should be an updated tpa shortly. I will check with Porsche and report back
Interesting, I don't have problems loading vbo files in Circuit Tools. I'm using Samsung S4 /Android 5.0.1. It seems that IOS and Android versions have different problems.

HD2 is very tempting, but I'm not ready to give up on TPA yet. I'm hoping, probably naively, that Porsche will make it worth $1800 we paid for it.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 AM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by brel
Interesting, I don't have problems loading vbo files in Circuit Tools. I'm using Samsung S4 /Android 5.0.1. It seems that IOS and Android versions have different problems.

HD2 is very tempting, but I'm not ready to give up on TPA yet. I'm hoping, probably naively, that Porsche will make it worth $1800 we paid for it.
I also was able to open .vbo files in Circuit Tools. However, I don't remember if Circuit Tools was able to show things like engine RPM. I don't think it was and, if I recall correctly, when I opened the .vbo file from Track Precision in a text editor, I don't think I saw any of the extra fields you'd see from a "real" Vbox. I'll test it out this week.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

You can actually open them but the lap times are off and not all laps in all sessions are recognized

It has to do with start/finish gate size and the fact that Porsche uses dynamic sample rates vs fixed rates expected by CT in Vbo files

I will keep the below thread updated with latest info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...s-problem.html

Last edited by MarcD147; 07-13-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
brel
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcD147
You can actually open them but the lap times are off and not all laps in all sessions are recognized

It has to do with start/finish gate size and the fact that Porsche uses dynamic sample rates vs fixed rates expected by CT in Vbo files

I will keep the below thread updated with latest info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...s-problem.html
Thanks! That explains why my autocross runs look different in Circuit Tools. I capture each run as a single lap session and they don't overlap well when I load them in.

I'll keep an eye on another thread. Hopefully, the update will address these problems.

Quick Reply: Problems using Track Precision App with hi res GPS receiver