Sponsored by: APR

Zip tie your rear brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
You pretty much got it. It is just wrapped around the duct as a whole to keep the bottom pieces from falling off. You have to buy the whole duct of you lose the bottom piece. They are really not well attached and if you look at the duct, you'll see how easy it would be for it to either fall off it not well attached, or even if something just slightly catches the front of it to get pulled off, which is the lowest part of the car.

Who knows if it will be enough? Time will tell, but nothing to lose and makes it a bit more sturdy.
Ok, so just to consider other possibilities, let's suppose something came along the bottom of the car that without this setup would rip the bottom half of the ducts right off. If the ducts have zip ties around them, that same object might not have any effect, or it could instead rip the entire duct off -- would the latter happen cleanly, or to continue the line of thinking in the post above yours, are these ducts DESIGNED to allow only the bottom part to break away because it's not possible to rip the entire duct away without taking some other parts as well?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ok, so just to consider other possibilities, let's suppose something came along the bottom of the car that without this setup would rip the bottom half of the ducts right off. If the ducts have zip ties around them, that same object might not have any effect, or it could instead rip the entire duct off -- would the latter happen cleanly, or to continue the line of thinking in the post above yours, are these ducts DESIGNED to allow only the bottom part to break away because it's not possible to rip the entire duct away without taking some other parts as well?
You may be right. But that said, I guess the bottom part comes lose too easily and there have been cases where they simply fell off during street driving. The top part is pretty sturdily attached. I took them off to trim them and had the wrestle them quite a bit to get them off.

I am absolutely certain if something serious catches them the zip ties will still go before the top goes and rip only the bottom off. Just gives some assurance that they don't come off for very little. Along those lines I also used pretty thin zip ties and not monster ones...

Regardless, they aren't too expensive and is around $120 each if I remember correctly, so for folks that just want to not zip tie them, it's not too big a deal in my opinion...
Old 05-09-2016, 10:47 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by myBailey07
You may be right. But that said, I guess the bottom part comes lose too easily and there have been cases where they simply fell off during street driving. The top part is pretty sturdily attached. I took them off to trim them and had the wrestle them quite a bit to get them off.

I am absolutely certain if something serious catches them the zip ties will still go before the top goes and rip only the bottom off. Just gives some assurance that they don't come off for very little. Along those lines I also used pretty thin zip ties and not monster ones...

Regardless, they aren't too expensive and is around $120 each if I remember correctly, so for folks that just want to not zip tie them, it's not too big a deal in my opinion...
Ok, makes sense. I also just took a look at them myself since I realized they're fairly visible through the wheels and from behind the car even while it's on the ground, and I guess even if the zip ties held together when confronted with something more serious, the next point of failure would probably be the plastic of the duct itself shearing off somewhere (leaving you with only the rear half of the upper and lower pieces of the duct) rather than the zip ties and full duct assembly holding together so well that they instead take some other part of the car off as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ok, makes sense. I also just took a look at them myself since I realized they're fairly visible through the wheels and from behind the car even while it's on the ground, and I guess even if the zip ties held together when confronted with something more serious, the next point of failure would probably be the plastic of the duct itself shearing off somewhere (leaving you with only the rear half of the upper and lower pieces of the duct) rather than the zip ties and full duct assembly holding together so well that they instead take some other part of the car off as well.
Good points. I'll have to put my car on the lift again and take a closer look. I may redo the zip ties with thin zip ties. The ducts are $95 each at Suncoast.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 AM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely reccomend zip tie since I lost both ducts this past weekend at msrc!
Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jslee225
I would definitely reccomend zip tie since I lost both ducts this past weekend at msrc!
Dang! What turns? The 1.7 CCW has pretty smooth run off. The 1.3 not as smooth.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 AM
jphughan
Drifting

What about Velcro ties? Perfect way to split the difference between potentially too-strong zip ties and nothing at all, or too weak to be worth anything?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:50 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a better idea
Put a hole in the lower brake duct and run a zip tie through and then tie in another zip tie to the area above ... This way the duct comes off but will not be lost as it will still be tied to the car ...
Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a better idea
Put a hole in the lower brake duct and run a zip tie through and then tie in another zip tie to the area above ... This way the duct comes off but will not be lost as it will still be tied to the car ...
I was thinking the same thing--somehow tethering the 2 pieces together.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM
jslee225
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
Dang! What turns? The 1.7 CCW has pretty smooth run off. The 1.3 not as smooth.
1.3. Went 4 off on turn 2/3 and boom goes the dynamite
Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I think you guys are over thinking this. No one has talked about the zip tie mod breaking anything. But people that have not done it are talking about replacing the bottom half that came off. I say zip and go......had mine done prior to delivery and haven't looked back..........Phil
Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a better idea
Thought of this myself last night, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem because while that may have allowed breakaway with the first impact, it just means that now the lower half is allowed to dangle under your car, which increases its exposure, and at some point something will still have to give.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jslee225
were you running the small track? My buddy was there in a white GT4....I need to get him to check his ducts as he's had 2x offs.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, does anyone have the P/N for the lower part? I might as well go ahead and order a spare set to keep in the trailer.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:53 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
Also, does anyone have the P/N for the lower part? I might as well go ahead and order a spare set to keep in the trailer.
Did you look through the PET listed on here?

Quick Reply: Zip tie your rear brake ducts