Sponsored by: APR

Carmine red GT4, painted trim, silver wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 9001rpm
You wouldn't notice a difference at the track regarding temps. The temp drop you see when pushing the "sport" button also happens automatically under heavy load.

For those that are skeptical...

Go get your car up to temp, bang out a few hard pulls, check your temps, and be prepared to see them drop lol... Takes a bit before they start to go back up to "normal".
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:24 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you need sport mode in order to disable things like traction control? Did Porsche make it such that you can't disable the nannies without also enabling active rev matching?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

There is so much "power" assigned to that little button.

It does two things. 1) Throttle blip, and 2) Puts coolant thermostat into a different mode. This same mode happens automatically when you start driving aggressively. THAT IS IT.

At the track, I run Sport Off, Flaps open, Shocks on Stiff, TC and SC off. All possible without the sport button, and temps are fine. No misfires, no bull**** - I don't know where people come up with these engine issues due to the sport button not being used (there was a thread in the racing/track forum).
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Don't you need sport mode in order to disable things like traction control? Did Porsche make it such that you can't disable the nannies without also enabling active rev matching?
Like all GT cars, the GT4 has two buttons - 'ESC off' and 'ESC + TC off'. So, you can disable the nannies and still drive the car yourself.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:42 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Love your build. Clean yet purposeful!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:55 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
I commented it is smart because Joe hit the major items (LWB and base leather), yet didn't load the car up with a bunch of options that aren't necessary. He also managed to make the car have a unique looking interior for very little money (painted trim). Leather on the center console instead of painted trim also ensured the other painted trim wasn't too much. Silver belts are subtle yet nice to look at too.

Very well done IMO. I give this A+. Both visually and financially.
Exactly.. Matching the trim to exterior, them having silver belts and stitching is a rare move we hadn't seen yet.. Not to mention carmine. Very unique and cool build
Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

What a great, great build! Simple, tight philosophy. Bold yet restrained and elegant selections on color, interior trim, stitching, center console, painted trim, and seat belts. All for not a lot of $$$.

Congrats on the car, Joe—it's beautiful. Easily one of my favorite GT4 builds to date.

pete
Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Painted trim is really growing on me in this car. Really pops.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:33 PM
rtc113
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome car.

Looks like we'll be twins. I've got a CR, Painted Trim, Silver Wheels GT4 that just got to port in San Diego.

BTW, do you know how long it took to get from port to dealer for you?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by rtc113
Awesome car.

Looks like we'll be twins. I've got a CR, Painted Trim, Silver Wheels GT4 that just got to port in San Diego.

My Spyder's at the port there as well. I've been told by my dealer anywhere from a couple days to 10 days, depending on how the month is going for Porsche and whether they want the sales to occur in February or March...
Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Woah. Thanks for the all the nice responses, everyone. I'm happy to see that you think it came out as nicely as I hoped it would

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Congrats, Joe you finally got it. Great looking build. Awesome! Those silver wheels by the way are much more practical than either satin finish - you can easily put wax on them and clean right up after track day - not so easy for satin finishes.

Regarding oil temps, I have found that sport mode does bring the coolant temp right down to 185 initially, however, the oil temp have not seen much of a drop. I would have to run it back to back on a track with / without sport mode to measure it more precisely.
Thanks, Matt. Good point about the silver wheels. The satin finish on the GT3 has rubber marks that I've never been able to clean off, unfortunately. I'm sure the polished finish will be easier to clean. Just needs to be cleaned more often, though. LOL. Good to know about the oil temps

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Nicely spec'ed! Looking forward to another "OrthoJoe's Track build journal" for the GT4. I enjoyed following your journal on the 991 GT3. Hopefully, you'll identify/publish a good solution for data/logging. Seems to be a lot of confusion on AIM Solo DL and GT4...

Thanks for sharing!
Plan doing a CAN connection on this one. Will let you guys know

Originally Posted by okie981
Looking forward to seeing some interior/exterior photos in full sunlight if you have time to post.
I can do that! the only problem is carmine is very hard to capture correctly in photos. Very hard.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The interesting thing about CR is that it is one of the few colors that the camera can not capture. Most pictures, if not all, I have seen of CR does not do it justification until you see the color in person. You can not say that about CR.

I guess this is one of the most fascinating things about CR. It is my favorite color red from any Mfg right now. It was destiny when they did not make it PTS for the GT4. There is only one PTS color I might chose over this and that id Martime Blue but I would not even pay the $3000 difference so it does not matter.
Agree! None of the photos seems to capture it properly.

Originally Posted by stout
What a great, great build! Simple, tight philosophy. Bold yet restrained and elegant selections on color, interior trim, stitching, center console, painted trim, and seat belts. All for not a lot of $$$.

Congrats on the car, Joe—it's beautiful. Easily one of my favorite GT4 builds to date.

pete
Thanks, Pete! That means A LOT coming from you.

Originally Posted by rtc113
Awesome car.

Took about 2 weeks with the GT4. 3 weeks with the GT3. Ugh! LOL
Old 02-25-2016, 04:16 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:43 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Very tasteful and unique interior, Carmine (and UV) looks great with silver wheels!
There's a picture somewhere of both GrantG's GT4 and TRAKCAR's GT3.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Gawgus, congrats!
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Very Nice.

Quick Reply: Carmine red GT4, painted trim, silver wheels