Sponsored by: APR

Headliner sag

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 01:57 PM
RX2DO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headliner sag

So my car is a 2016, always garaged, around 10k miles. Recently I noticed the headliner (sport Tex ****) sagging, as well as dash leather starting to come up. I am hoping for some guidance on what to do.
1. have dash and headliner repaired, although I’m concerned about having dash taken apart and going back to normal, headliner is less of a concern.
or
2. try and trade car in on newer gt car (want a 4RS but prices are insane)

also any recs on who would be able to perform such work in south Florida (palm beach area) would be great.

thanks.
Old 06-30-2024, 04:25 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Perfect timing on this...I was about to post a similar thread. Headliner has fallen victim to the cheap glue Porsche uses and now I've got questions for the group. What kind of price have you paid to have this taken care of? And did the repair shop re-use the original liner or source a good match? I've got someone on the hook for the repair and here's what he's telling me. Job will be around $800 for 2 yards of Alcantara fabric and labor. Not sure on this so I'll need some reference points from the group.......Phil
Old 07-01-2024, 04:11 AM
Miles3719
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Would this fall (no pun intended) under extended warranty? ( is that what a CPO warranty is in the US? Here in Australia I believe we can keep extending the warranty for 10 years (or it might be 15), so long as you keep paying)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:41 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
Perfect timing on this...I was about to post a similar thread. Headliner has fallen victim to the cheap glue Porsche uses and now I've got questions for the group. What kind of price have you paid to have this taken care of? And did the repair shop re-use the original liner or source a good match? I've got someone on the hook for the repair and here's what he's telling me. Job will be around $800 for 2 yards of Alcantara fabric and labor. Not sure on this so I'll need some reference points from the group.......Phil
I replaced the sagging headliner on my '07 Cayman S with Alcantara about 5 years ago. It looked much better then the original fabric. IIR, 2 yards did it. I removed and installed it myself and took it to an
upholsterer. I think back then it was around $300.

Last edited by Last_935; 07-01-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:46 PM
suzuka_joe
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

my car was a CPO (US based) but cosmetic issues are not covered.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last_935
I replaced the sagging headliner on my '07 Cayman S with Alcantara about 5 years ago. It looked much better then the original fabric. IIR, 2 yards did it. I removed and installed it myself and took it to an
upholsterer. I think back then it was around $300.
Good info....I think I'll shop the job before making a decision even though this shop comes highly recommended. Pulling the liner tray down doesn't seem too difficult once you remove the visors. This could save me a few coins if I remove it myself and take it to the shop.....Phil
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 02:20 PM
Strat_928
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I looked locally as mine fell almost overnight. (2015) I believe it was near 1000 at a local shop that species in car interiors. At the time I did not have the funds so I figured what the heck and used small black screws with built-in black washers and screwed them in a pattern that looked purposeful to hold me over ( I have a black headliner). But to my surprise, after over a year, I NEVER noticed them. I keep forgetting,,, lol They blend in perfectly and when you do see them, they give a kind of retro industrial look.... I actually like. Seriously. I have the money now but kind of think I might not fix them until they start falling out, which they do not appear loose at all after all that time. It is hard to take a picture of them since everything is the same shade of black and it is hard to see in the garage. I will try to remember to take a pic when it is bright outside to see if I can capture them.

Not saying this is everyone's cup of tea, but it could be a good way to keep it off your head or getting worse until you can get it fixed. The screws are indeed short (from a Porsche screws and fastener kit I used for my 928) probably 1/4 inch max.

Last edited by Strat_928; 07-01-2024 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobC4sX51 (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:15 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a friend who used a syringe and clear gutter glue. He has had no issues once the glue smell went away. I do know it is a huge mess to take the liner out to replace it. Roof material that has deteriorated (the reason for the sagging) is small particles and is hard to keep it from falling into the seats, dash etc.

Last edited by RobC4sX51; 07-02-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2024, 07:33 AM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Post some pics of your dash. Depending on what its doing you might be able to fix it with a syringe and some glue. Due to all the EPA regulations chemicals have becoming junk and not lasting or quality has become crap. Maybe consider conditioning your garage going forward with a mini split system since your in FL so it doesn't happen going forward.
Old 07-04-2024, 09:34 AM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ME TOO !! Yesterday while detailing the black interior on my '14 981CS I noticed two bubbles forming just above and aft of the Driver's and Passenger's Headrests. Couple of years ago I had Pedro in Florida successfully fix my warping side panels so I knew from reading posts along the way this was coming. I've read this very thorough post beginning to end Replacing Headliner with Alcantara on a 981 Cayman S - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums and decided I'm not that energetic to embark on such a task. I'm not sold on the velour/suede Alcantara finish that shows vacuum lines, the OEM material is more of a tight synesthetic weave.

I live in SW New Hampshire and contacted my Porsche Dealer in East Hartford, CT., they recommended AUTOMOTIVE RESTYLING located in NEWINGTON, CT. Anyone out there familiar with their work, I called and spoke with Peter, sounded knowledgeable, indicated the job would run $450. including labor and materials, said they would use a suede Alcantara "like" style material in color Gunstock. We discussed the Porsche Eco-Friendly failing glue issue and he said they use the glue that required a respirator. One other question for the forum, anyone find a source for the weaved synthetic fabric more in-line with the OEM. Also read these posts 981 vs 718 Alcantara Headliner is there a difference? | Planet-9 Porsche Forum and Sagging headliner? | Planet-9 Porsche Forum just for additional info..
Old 07-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

So, I've gotten 2 quotes so far and both are in the $800 range. I'm giving some serious thought to removing the tray myself, cleaning it up, and then having the new fabric installed by one of these shops. Removal doesn't seem too complicated, and I would hate for my seats to get damaged by someone else.....Phil
Old 07-07-2024, 05:58 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

I'm having the shop send me a couple of samples, I like the charcoal-colored weaved fabric over the suede. I thought this YouTube was pretty good and no removal of side window, etc.
Old 07-07-2024, 06:00 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SRNH01
I'm having the shop send me a couple of samples, I like the charcoal-colored weaved fabric over the suede. I thought this YouTube was pretty good and no removal of side window, etc. SAVE $1400 BY FIXING YOUR HEADLINER YOURSELF PORSCHE 981 Replacing Porsche Headliner Tutorial Guide (youtube.com)
Same video I watched a couple of days ago....I think I'll go the sample route and find the right fabric before I pull the tray down.....Phil
Old 07-18-2024, 04:16 PM
SRNH01
Rennlist Member

Impossible to find a fabric that closely matches the OEM finish and color so I made a quick call to my local Dealer. According to my Window Sticker my car has the AG Option = Standard Interior in Black. I provided the VIN and the direct OEM replacement is Part# 981555091166F2 (Black) which lists for $576.18 USD.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Got around to pulling out the headliner today. It's a nice DIY project but, it requires some patience. Video above was super helpful, but I would add two important steps. Prior to rotating the tray for removal, ensure the steering wheel is as far forward and as low as possible. You need to position the tray below the steering wheel to get it out. Also, remove your rearview mirror. You are going to hit it as you start to move the liner around. Even in the video you'll see his mirror pop off as he's rotating the liner. Now I'll have the shop recover the tray and I'll wait for the next rainy Saturday to put everything back together.....Phil

Quick Reply: Headliner sag