Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   GT4/Spyder (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder-235/)
-   -   Parallel parking (https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4-spyder/1134909-parallel-parking.html)

paradocs98 03-22-2019 12:20 PM

Parallel parking

Just had a butt-puckering moment while out doing errands in town. I had just parallel parked in a good space, with plenty of room ahead of me for another car to park, when a lady in a Lexus SUV backed into that spot in front of me. Something told me to wait and not get out of the car yet. Sure enough, she blasted backwards towards me during her parking maneuver, with no signs of stopping. I had already shut the car off, so I frantically turned the ignition back on so I could hit the horn to get her to stop. She stopped mere inches from the front of my car. I asked her if she was aware how close she was to me, and she said, "Oh, it's fine. I have beepers," referring to her parking sensors. So it got me wondering--our cars are so low to the ground, with the lower section of the front bumper particularly low, I wonder if the parking sensors on a high SUV bumper even register the lower part of our front fascias. They might just sense a higher part of the front of our cars, like the leading edge of the hood, which sits quite a bit back from the lower bumper. She might have genuinely thought she had more room when she instead was almost on top of me.

In any case, yet one more thing to worry about when parking amongst the general public. It's one thing to get a ding on the car from something you've committed to, like a trackday. It's entirely different to get a big ding from something idiotic like someone backing into your car in front of the post office... :banghead:

inverterman 03-22-2019 12:23 PM

"Oh, it's fine. I have beepers,"

Classic.

Alan C. 03-22-2019 12:39 PM

Parking beepers, lane change beepers, when will they add a head up your a$$ beeper? 😂😂

speedy974 03-22-2019 02:21 PM

Reading your story gave me anxiety!

e46mike 03-22-2019 04:36 PM

What concerns me is how much attention they pay to their own sensors and if they know how much space is left when tone goes full solid.

LexVan 03-22-2019 04:45 PM

Why do you think you needed to have the ignition on to beep the horn??

Funny story, back in high school my buddy Paul was a lousy parallel parker. So he would just pull the nose of the car in, and then go to the back of the bumper, lift up the car, and move it over to the curb. IIRC, it was some POS Ford Fiesta.

mousecatcher 03-22-2019 07:28 PM

you're just being a nervous nelly. mere inches = enough room. the beepers literally allow soccer mom to get that close with ease. and yes they do detect low objects. you're a car, not a skateboard.

4carl 03-22-2019 08:22 PM

remember most people park by ear! carl

Patrick3000 03-22-2019 10:58 PM

A few years ago so many kids failed at parallel parking that Maryland removed it from the drivers test, you can’t make this up :banghead:

fast1 03-22-2019 11:47 PM

This reminds me of an incident that happened to me about 20 years ago when I had my 993. I took my wife to a restaurant and no sooner I got out of my car, a woman backs up to my car while parking and made contact with my bumper. The impact was at low speed but was hard enough to do some paint damage. The woman's response to me when I asked her if she knew that she bumped into my car was what's the big deal. Bumpers are made to bump. Not sure many Porsche owners share her view. ;)

orclean1 03-23-2019 03:56 PM

If it were me I would of called a police officer and made a big deal out of it , people like her need to eat sxxx.

paradocs98 03-24-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by inverterman (Post 15721151)
"Oh, it's fine. I have beepers,"

Classic.

That summed it up right there.

Originally Posted by Alan C. (Post 15721183)
Parking beepers, lane change beepers, when will they add a head up your a$$ beeper? 😂😂

I know. And it's just going to get worse. The end result will hopefully be that the clueless and disinterested (which is a large percentage of the driving population) will just get shuttled about in their autonomous vehicle pods.

Originally Posted by speedy974 (Post 15721401)
Reading your story gave me anxiety!

:D

Originally Posted by e46mike (Post 15721690)
What concerns me is how much attention they pay to their own sensors and if they know how much space is left when tone goes full solid.

Yep. Clueless and likely don't care.

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15721707)
Why do you think you needed to have the ignition on to beep the horn??

Funny story, back in high school my buddy Paul was a lousy parallel parker. So he would just pull the nose of the car in, and then go to the back of the bumper, lift up the car, and move it over to the curb. IIRC, it was some POS Ford Fiesta.

That's great. And Paul must have been a pretty big boy.

Originally Posted by mousecatcher (Post 15722117)
you're just being a nervous nelly. mere inches = enough room. the beepers literally allow soccer mom to get that close with ease. and yes they do detect low objects. you're a car, not a skateboard.

I disagree. Especially running 19" wheels so it sits 0.5" lower than stock, my car is a skateboard. My wife's 3 series BMW looks like an SUV next to it in the garage.:p

Originally Posted by 4carl (Post 15722252)
remember most people park by ear! carl

*crunch* :(

Originally Posted by Patrick3000 (Post 15722605)
A few years ago so many kids failed at parallel parking that Maryland removed it from the drivers test, you can’t make this up :banghead:

That's insane.

Originally Posted by fast1 (Post 15722698)
This reminds me of an incident that happened to me about 20 years ago when I had my 993. I took my wife to a restaurant and no sooner I got out of my car, a woman backs up to my car while parking and made contact with my bumper. The impact was at low speed but was hard enough to do some paint damage. The woman's response to me when I asked her if she knew that she bumped into my car was what's the big deal. Bumpers are made to bump. Not sure many Porsche owners share her view. ;)

"Bumpers are made to bump." :banghead:

GregWormald 03-25-2019 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fast1 (Post 15722698)
<snip>Bumpers are made to bump.

20 years ago that may have been true--these days bumpers are made to progressively crush!

Just get the other driver's details and let the insurance companies sort it all out.