Sponsored by: APR

It's Finally Available! The 981 GT4/Spyder Shorter Final Drive Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 PM
brandonecpt
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Not sure if your post is coincidental; have a separate thread posted on this. Right now, I'm in the process of figuring this out. I've questions/requests out to AutoQuest to have at least couple of buyers to share their feedback. Apparently, many GT4s running on the track with this mod. Oddly, not a single review/feedback!

I wouldn't mind changing these instead: Mainshaft, 1, 2 and 3. I just want low Vmax in these gears. I've sent a mail to Rick DeMan as well; got no reply yet. I'm surprised why the low-gearing mod is not well advertised or promoted. A LOT of GT4/Spyder drivers would jump on it. Are there underlying, unintended negative impacts preventing wider adoption? I don't wanna be the one to find out either!
1/2/3 change would be awesome. I don't spend a ton of time on the highway so it wouldn't matter much, but it'd be ideal to just change 1/2/3.
The following users liked this post:
greggmorton (06-15-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 12:29 AM
user1029
Drifting

Received 562 Likes on 276 Posts

I inquired about these gears and Gavin said the May shipment is sold out. This means there has to be some GT4s out there with this mod really want some videos of it
The following 2 users liked this post by user1029:
Gilou Panizzi (06-16-2020), greggmorton (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

True, this topic needs to reborn with some contents
greggmorton (06-16-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:39 PM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonecpt
Still no reviews from users? Any chance we could at least get AutoQuest to solicit some feedback from people who have been using these gears?
I can share how happy I am with the AutoQuest new gearing. I also had the LWFW and clutch installed. So glad I did. I have nothing scientific nor any numbers to share. I can tell you the gearing now "feels right" on both the track and the street. I would not want to go back! The shift lever and effort feel the same as stock. Clutch pedal is a bit lighter and feels great. The gear ratios on the street are more fun. Note one gets to shift a bit more - but not excessively or too much. Just a bit sooner. Easier to keep the car in RPM range where you want it. On track, the car is easy to keep in the "power band". Shifting in the 7,000 - 7,200 RPM range (instead of at red line) keeps the car in that power range of best torque and horsepower. I'm glad the ring and pinion changed all gears and not just 1- 3. The gearing fits very linear.

I had mine changed last August I think. There has been zero issues. Believe I have tracked at Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Roebling. I do not have track times to compare as I also had AutoQuest install the multi-link rear suspension at the same time. (Another great mod I think). Anyway, hope this feedback is helpful.
The following 4 users liked this post by Space Coast GT3:
2XIPA (06-18-2020), brandonecpt (06-19-2020), Deepbluejh (02-13-2021), user1029 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:57 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Space Coast GT3
I can share how happy I am with the AutoQuest new gearing. I also had the LWFW and clutch installed. So glad I did. I have nothing scientific nor any numbers to share. I can tell you the gearing now "feels right" on both the track and the street. I would not want to go back! The shift lever and effort feel the same as stock. Clutch pedal is a bit lighter and feels great. The gear ratios on the street are more fun. Note one gets to shift a bit more - but not excessively or too much. Just a bit sooner. Easier to keep the car in RPM range where you want it. On track, the car is easy to keep in the "power band". Shifting in the 7,000 - 7,200 RPM range (instead of at red line) keeps the car in that power range of best torque and horsepower. I'm glad the ring and pinion changed all gears and not just 1- 3. The gearing fits very linear.

I had mine changed last August I think. There has been zero issues. Believe I have tracked at Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Roebling. I do not have track times to compare as I also had AutoQuest install the multi-link rear suspension at the same time. (Another great mod I think). Anyway, hope this feedback is helpful.
Awesome thanks for sharing.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks Space Coast GT3. Glad to know you're happy with the FD mod. Few more questions:

- Was the work done by BMC&G in Ohio? How long it took? Did you ship the car?
- Did you consider mainshaft and individual gear swap as opposed to FD change?
- Did you get taller 6th and reinforced 3rd?

Thanks.
brandonecpt (06-19-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 08:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

I love how you drop the "oh yea also multi link" at the end. This is another major major mod which many of us have considered... can you shed some light on that also?

And thank you.
brandonecpt (06-19-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:28 AM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Thanks Space Coast GT3. Glad to know you're happy with the FD mod. Few more questions:

Thanks.
As I live in Florida I trailered my car over to AutoQuest (AQM). I believe they had my car for 2 weeks. I know AQM removed the transmission and sent it to Ohio. I’m not sure if that is BMC&G or not as I didn’t ask or just don’t recall. I do remember AQM telling me they have a create dedicated to safely ship the transmission.

I did not make any changes to the 6th gear.

AQM did give me the original ring and pinion back. Guess in case I ever want to go back. They were up front that the new ring and pinion does wear a bit sooner than the OEM. AQM has a specific gear oil they use to minimize the wear. I do not have any specifics of what this means. They do assure me the mod is good for several years of track driving. Hope all this helps.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 AM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Thanks.
Sorry didn’t answer all your questions. I decided to go with ring and pinion over individual gear changes as I wanted a “ Linear Hand off or spacing” between the gears. I was fearful if I just changed a few of the gears there could be a big overlap or even a gap between some gears. I hope this makes since but that was what was in my mind.

I did not go with a reenforced 3rd as Porsche had just performed the recall. At the time, I understood the reenforced 3rd was a fix for the transmission fix before the recall.

I had AWM install the LWFW and single mass clutch at same time as there was no additional labor costs.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:02 AM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I love how you drop the "oh yea also multi link" at the end. This is another major major mod which many of us have considered... can you shed some light on that also?

And thank you.
Sorry for the “surprise”... I love the multi link mod. On the street I can’t really tell much difference. But on the track: Oh my gosh. The car just sticks. It stays planted. Flat. I can feel the car stay planted in the seat of my pants no matter how hard I push it.

at Sebring, I stay flat on the throttle at before the turn 13 apex all the way until I break going into 15a. Absolutely no lifting at the Bishops kink. Keep it in the floor. And I am a lot faster through 17 and 1. The Porsche track app says I am pulling 1.7 G’s through the turns.

I am running Hoosier R7’s. If the backend starts to step out a bit, It just slides a little and I just steer a bit into it and the car just straightens right up. I assume this is both the tires and the multi link. I think anyway.

Gavin introduced me last November, at Suncoast PCA Sebring instructors weekend to the fellow who designed the multi link. Super personable guy. Wish I could remember his name. Anyway, he spoke with me at length on the multi link and how to get the most out of it on track. Guess I just mention this as I was impressed on how much he and Gavin cared about teaching me and how helpful they are.

so yes, I definitely love the multi link. I can take and post some pics if ya like.
The following 2 users liked this post by Space Coast GT3:
Five12Free (06-20-2020), RolloGigolo (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 10:54 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

...........They were up front that the new ring and pinion does wear a bit sooner than the OEM.AQM has a specific gear oil they use to minimize the wear. I do not have any specifics of what this means. They do assure me the mod is good for several years of track driving. Hope all this helps.
Thanks for the detailed feedback, Space Coast GT3. Very helpful. However, that highlighted part is the only thing holding me back! The new Pinion is much smaller; and, wears faster. Gavin (at AutoQuest) is upfront about it; kudos to him. So, does this mean, you expect to keep sending your transmission for Pinion replacement periodically? In my case, I don't track. For the spirited street driving, I was told it should last longer; still, not as long as the stock Pinion. My Service Advisor tells me he never replaced a Pinion! So, am I messing with the longevity? Is it the price to pay for much more engaging drive? The idea of being able to shift close to redline in first three gears more often in everyday street driving and enjoying that glorious soundtrack are just intoxicating and hard to pass up though!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Space Coast GT3. Very helpful. However, that highlighted part is the only thing holding me back! The new Pinion is much smaller; and, wears faster. Gavin (at AutoQuest) is upfront about it; kudos to him. So, does this mean, you expect to keep sending your transmission for Pinion replacement periodically? In my case, I don't track. For the spirited street driving, I was told it should last longer; still, not as long as the stock Pinion. My Service Advisor tells me he never replaced a Pinion! So, am I messing with the longevity? Is it the price to pay for much more engaging drive? The idea of being able to shift close to redline in first three gears more often in everyday street driving and enjoying that glorious soundtrack are just intoxicating and hard to pass up though!
The daily enjoyment of shifting up the shorter gears and the LWFW will be all you remember. Don't get caught up in details which may never affect you.. just enjoy it and then deal with a pinion change years down the road if it ever happens.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

The daily enjoyment of shifting up the shorter gears and the LWFW will be all you remember. Don't get caught up in details which may never affect you.. just enjoy it and then deal with a pinion change years down the road if it ever happens.
I believe that I was the first to suggest that the pinion would wear more quickly. In my old race car I had 6 different rear axle ratios which I switched out depending on the length of the longest straight and the shortest one's pinion failed completely during a race. I did change to a "better" lube and did not replace the shortest gearing and had no more issues. Too long ago to remember the lube but it was used by drag racers. I would expect that with occasional street abuse the pinion will not be an issue. You will get Range 1 ignitions when hitting the redline.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

You're probably right. I may never have to change it. However, I'll pass on LWFW. I read it makes the clutch pedal feel light. I like the way 981 feels.

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I believe that I was the first to suggest that the pinion would wear more quickly.................. I would expect that with occasional street abuse the pinion will not be an issue. You will get Range 1 ignitions when hitting the redline.
Yes, you did mention about Pinion wear and Range 1 report. I was going to respond in my thread on this topic. So, when the 981 Spyder makes peak power at 6700 and if I shift at 7500, is that considered "abuse"? After FD change, I do plan to shift at 7500 at every opportunity in lower 2-3 gears, for street-driving. Is that really an abuse? And, how will the Pinion fare? As for the Range 1 report, my Service Advisor tells me it's not much of an issue, unless the buyer is very picky. But, I'm not selling!

Old 06-22-2020, 10:18 AM
Space Coast GT3
Racer

I thought a lot about this too. Meaning the new pinion wears a bit sooner. But I understand it’s good for years and I really want the new ratios so I went for it.
When I was in AQM Gavin handed me the new pinion. Oh my goodness it is heavy. Looking at the machine work this thing requires helped me understand the cost of the part. I also noted this is the same ring and pinion in the cup cars. So it is reliable. I’m under the impression this means for thousands upon thousands of track miles. Plus, AQM uses a specific gear oil that adds to longevity. To date I have 2,000 track mules on mine. No issues and I love the new gears. I’d do it agin.

so just sharing my thoughts on this. Either way we have a great car to drive and enjoy!
yohoba (06-30-2020)

Quick Reply: It's Finally Available! The 981 GT4/Spyder Shorter Final Drive Ratio