Taking off Masking Tape

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:07 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry Taking off Masking Tape

Hi Everybody,

First of all, I have to admit that I screwed up Almost two months ago I've attended my first racing event. I had seen some ppl taping their cars to "protect" the paint from debris, so I decided to do likewise. I guess my biggest mistake was not using the right tape. Others used blue painter's tape. But my car is white and the only white tape was the "DUCK General Purpose Masking Tape". So, you should have already guessed what happened next. The glue dried out and the tape doesn't come off.

I tried spraying WD40 over the tape but it doesn't help much. There are areas where the tape comes off, and others where it doesn't. So now the hood and the front of the car looks like stripped tiger.

Wherever it comes off there is adhesive residue, but I guess it will come off relatively easily with 3M Adhesive Remover/Cleaner. But I have to remove the tape first. That's the tape I used: http://duckbrand.com/products/paint-...188-in-x-60-yd

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks,
Ruben

P.S. For those who wondered why the car was sitting wrapped for two months, since the race I was struggling with spine issues and had a surgery less than a week ago. Slowly getting back on foot.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Have you tried soaking the 3M Adhesive Remover through the tape?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Never pulled tape off nice car paint, but try a heat gun. Can pick up from harbor freight for cheap. Turn on low heat and cycle side to side over tape as you pull it up. Don't get it too hot though.
Then for getting the adhesive off there's a brand call "aircraft decal remover" it works great, in an aerosol can. Spray it on wait 5-10 seconds, wipe off. Repeat as necessary. Just don't let it sit on the paint for too long or itll start to remove the paint. Can be bought at auto part stores (Oreillys carries it).
I've used this method on boats, planes etc.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly
Never pulled tape off nice car paint, but try a heat gun. Can pick up from harbor freight for cheap. Turn on low heat and cycle side to side over tape as you pull it up. Don't get it too hot though.
Then for getting the adhesive off there's a brand call "aircraft decal remover" it works great, in an aerosol can. Spray it on wait 5-10 seconds, wipe off. Repeat as necessary. Just don't let it sit on the paint for too long or itll start to remove the paint. Can be bought at auto part stores (Oreillys carries it).
I've used this method on boats, planes etc.
I ended up using 2 cans of WD40, Soap, Plastic putty knife and power washer to remove the paper. The adhesive residue easily comes off with GooGone/GooOff and little wiping off. There are little areas where the paper does not come off. Will try to use 3M Adhesive Remover. For now want to stay away from stronger solvents.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

IMO, 3M Adhesive Remover is safer on most surfaces than Goof-off. By design, the 3M stuff is intended for use on paint. Goof-off can actually remove some paints.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Use a hair dryer, not a heat gun. The heat gun gets too hot and can damage the paint along with blistering any nearby plastics such as the front bumper cover, the hair dryer will not. Heat and then peel with your fingernail. It will come off, but you may be there awhile. 3M adhesive remover as others have said after the tape is off.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:15 AM
rubenhak
Racer

I've got a temperature and blower speed controlled heat gun. Will try to use it tomorrow on low setting.

So far did not notice any damage from GoofOff. But will try 3M cleaner as well. Any comments on these 3M products:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NUO6K https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NUO6K
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBNTYK https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBNTYK
?

After all this abuse I guess the car would need to be rewaxed. Do you guys think there will be a need the car to be buffer or polished?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my old track car. Taped the magnetic numbers on, and the tape took off the clear coat in a couple areas.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
rubenhak
Racer

I finally got the tape removed and the car cleaned. Used
3M 38983 General Purpose Adhesive Remover 3M 38983 General Purpose Adhesive Remover
which was very helpful. Also, plastic razor blades worked much better than the plastic putty knife. I'm lucky the tape got removed scratch free. At least could not find any.

Thanks everyone for comments!

Quick Reply: Taking off Masking Tape