Sponsored By:

Looking for advise to buy my first 958 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 PM
dushash
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advise to buy my first 958 turbo

I'm slowly learning about Porsche. This will be my first Porsche, but I'm set on 958 Turbo early manufacturing years 2010-2011 (can't afford newer ones). I am looking at the 70-80k mile cars. I've heard that Turbo engine is a bit more issue free due to less strict tolerances and that 2nd gen. has in general less issues.

1. Am I naive to think that 958 Turbo with 80k miles will be a dependable car for 5-6 years to come? I don't drive much, but I tend to keep my cars longer.
2. Does Porsche has good corrosion resistance so I don't have to worry about rust in my Porsche?
3. I can buy it in Canada or in US (I'm currently studying in US, but live in Canada). What market has better prices on 958 Turbos considering USD/CAD rates?
4. Any specific issues I should look in 2010-2011 958 Turbo?
5. How is insurance rates from your experience compared to other cars/brands?
6. I wasn't been able to find many 958 Turbos within my price range - probably not much of them produced. So should I be less picky while hunting for a good one 958 Turbo?

Thank you very much!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM
dushash
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here? I hope this forum is still alive. I checked other threads and there is barely 1 answer, often 0 answers in most threads I'm new to Porsche and probably stumbled upon deserted/abandoned forum, but I would appreciate if anyone can point me to another current/live forum?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dushash
Anyone here? I hope this forum is still alive. I checked other threads and there is barely 1 answer, often 0 answers in most threads I'm new to Porsche and probably stumbled upon deserted/abandoned forum, but I would appreciate if anyone can point me to another current/live forum?
I'd cross post this question to the Cayenne sub-forum.

rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum-77/
Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Moving your thread to the 958 Cayenne forum.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

If you're not already aware of your overall insurability (and the prices), and you're trying to get a Porsche inexpensively, and you're a student... you may want to think carefully before buying a Porsche.

While vehicles do become less expensive over time (mileage, depreciation, model changes, etc) these were still very expensive vehicles when new. This means their parts will continue to be expensive and often be dealer-only. If I were shopping used I'd look to avoid options like the rear window shades, panoramic roof, 4-zone AC, if only because their potential repair costs are pretty steep. I'd probably look for black or beige as the interior color as that's likely much more common (which will be important if you need any parts).

So while obtaining one of them might start out as a bargain, the parts/service costs are something you want to think very carefully about ahead of time. They're 'as reliable' as anything else.... provided they've been well-maintained . Any vehicle (regardless of brand) that's not been cared for runs the risk of being a maintenance money pit. Finding a good local independent Porsche shop and PAYING them to do a pre-purchase inspection is always something to consider.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Try to find a US vehicle. I looked at a 2012 Turbo in Miami FL that looked rust free topside but the undercarriage was in horrible condition, my old 2008 Pathfinder was like new in comparison. Turns out the CTT was from Quebec. Five Canadian vs nine Ohio winters.

Weak points: differential, transfer case, ignition coils. On the 2011s, as you'll see discussed herein, may have a open recall on the camshaft bolts. Be advised that the front rotors cost $1000.....each
Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Try to find a US vehicle.
Good advice for any vehicle, even better to check the VIN for where in the US, and when. Nothing wrong with vehicle from anywhere... unless you see it being serviced/sold soon after a major flooding event in that area. Definitely want to take a good look on the underside of anything that's been in areas with hard winters.

Quick Reply: Looking for advise to buy my first 958 turbo