Repairing plastics on door panels and steering pieces on an 81 928

Old 06-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Ed Petry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing plastics on door panels and steering pieces on an 81 928

Hi,
Am restoring my shark and am running into issues. I am sure these are not new but I didn't see any write-ups when I was searching. Poor search skills may be the problem.

My overall question is -- what glue works to fix the plastic in our cars of this vintage? Is there a know type of plastic used during that time period?

Anyway, I tried to fix one door panel with epoxy with poor results. Evidently too much stress on the part. That was my attempt to fix the drivers door. I now have the passenger's door panel off (yes, damage there) and the center console out (yes damage there also)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ed
Old 06-03-2017, 09:08 PM
champignon
User

Originally Posted by Ed Petry View Post
Hi,
Am restoring my shark and am running into issues. I am sure these are not new but I didn't see any write-ups when I was searching. Poor search skills may be the problem.

My overall question is -- what glue works to fix the plastic in our cars of this vintage? Is there a know type of plastic used during that time period?

Anyway, I tried to fix one door panel with epoxy with poor results. Evidently too much stress on the part. That was my attempt to fix the drivers door. I now have the passenger's door panel off (yes, damage there) and the center console out (yes damage there also)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Ed
First, I don't know anything about your era of cars or the plastics used within them.

However, there are a couple of ideas I can give you that might prove useful from both personal experience fixing other old plastic things, and also from reading some other car forums, including forums dealing with older BMWs.

Some people have used 3D printing machines to make small plastic cosmetic parts that are either no longer available, or that are prohibitively expensive to buy. For the record, I have never owned a 3D printer and have no experience with them, however the price on them has come down a lot and there are some good ones available for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to under a thousand.

Another material that can be used to fabricate and to repair plastic parts is methyl methacrylate. It is or was widely used in dentistry, especially in making dentures. Only certain types of plastic can be repaired with it as it will not bond to all plastics, so do your research first, or at least do a small test area first. The stuff really stinks, especially before it is cured, so be forewarned. There are products made from reformulated methyl methacrylate such as Plast-aid, and others. These are not a particularly good deal, but if all you need is a small amount, than this sort of product may be your cheapest way to acquire the material.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 AM
PC-85-928S
User

WOW!
Plumbers Glue!
Oatey-Purple Primer for CPVC, and PVC
Oatley-All Purpose Cement for PVC, CPVC, and ABS
Cheap from Lowes.
I repaired crack on armrest, and reinforced non broken areas.
Works so great, quick drying, smooth-
You will never use Gorilla Glue or something similar after trying this method.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repairing plastics on door panels and steering pieces on an 81 928

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.