Notices

After test driving many Porsches, I am noticing something strange...just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 AM
NEUN_ELF
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After test driving many Porsches, I am noticing something strange...just me?

I've been in the market for my first 911 for a while now - it has been a long process so far. Over the past few months, I've looked at quite a few cars and even had a couple of PPI's that didn't go well.

Over the course of this process I have driven many cars - primarily 997 C2 and C2S coupes, but also a Cayman S. One thing I have noticed that I just can't figure out is that, to me, the Cayman S 'feels' the fastest in terms of straight-line acceleration. I've also felt that the base 997 C2 feels SLIGHTLY faster than the C2S accelerating up to about 75 MPH. I know the C2S is undoubtedly faster, but perhaps it is the way the C2 delivers power that gives the illusion of more 'shove'?

I know this is completely backwards, and that the C2S > C2 > Cayman S in terms of straight line acceleration. At first I thought the C2S I drove must have had a tired engine, but I drove another one and it felt the same. Maybe it is because the C2S has more torque low in the powerband, so there is a less abrupt peak of power at the top?

I also drove a 996 C4S, which felt the fastest of the bunch. It also had the loudest exhaust and firmest suspension, which may have had something to do with it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or am I just driving bad examples of these cars?

Quick Reply: After test driving many Porsches, I am noticing something strange...just me?