911 vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 09:11 AM
ensoll
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 vs Boxster

Hello,

I'm new here, though I've been on the utility tractor forums for more years than I care to admit.

I'm looking at buying my first Porsche and have driven some Boxsters and a nice 911. I'm trying to decide which way to go and could use some opinions from others with more knowledge.

The 911 is a 2001 996 Cabrio RWD in nearly pristine condition with low miles. Proactive maintenance with its IMS and other proximal wear items have been done. It's had a few owners, but all seem to have been conscientious.

There are a few Boxsters in consideration, but the primary one is a 2005 987 Boxster S with very low miles. It is also in nearly new condition. It's a 2 owner car.

Both are manual tranny's. Both are $25-27K. The Boxster may cost a little less than the 911.

Both gave very confident handling, though I have to say that the Boxster's mid engine weight distribution feels like that car is on steel rails. The 911 felt solid, but just a little less neutral, obviously. I know this is not news here. I'm also not going to be racing, just enjoying back road rides on nice days.

The acceleration between both cars seemed very similar. If anything, the few Boxster's I've driven have seemed more dramatic. But I haven't had enough of a comparison to quantify.

My wife likes the Boxster for its extra storage spaces for weekend trips and its smaller rear windbreak compared to the 911. I think I would enjoy having the 911's back seats for quick access to baggage, etc and <please don't crucify me on this> we might want to bring our two 30lb dogs with us on trips. With the Boxster, this would simply be out of the question. I don't plan on tagging the dogs along very often, just thinking of what challenges could come along.

Anyway, who cares about these details... What I'm looking for is feedback on the 911 as a machine vs the Boxster as a machine. Is the 911 a no-brainer choice over the Boxster for mechanical reasons, even if a few years older? This is the area where I'm a complete noob. As a new Porsche enthusiast, I'm trying to unravel the mystique of the 911 compared to the less desirable Boxsters. Is this just emotion due to the rich history of the 911 relative to the "new money" Boxsters? Or are there real differences under the "hood" that will make this an easier decision?

Thanks for your consideration and any responses.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Its a no contest. Buy that 911. You will regret that 987 purchase and pine for a 911 after about 5 minutes.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Comes down to the driving experience. If you prefer the Boxster's "on rails" feel, and power feels similar to the 911, you may have answered your own question. Boxster's do have reasonably good storage, but the 911 also has a back seat that can hold luggage (soft side). If over time you think you may be drawn to the 911 just because of its iconic status, that's one thing. But if you can get over the issue of "its not a 911", the Boxster may be your car.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by points
Its a no contest. Buy that 911. You will regret that 987 purchase and pine for a 911 after about 5 minutes.
Funny, I never feel that way.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^^You gotta nice one. An 05 is not in your class.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM
ensoll
4th Gear

Thanks for the responses. Me wifey has pushed hard for the Boxster. I suppose it's due to the ear to ear grin on my mug while driving them. When this all started, I had originally set out looking for a roadster anyway.

My father used to race British sports cars. His dream car all these years has been a Cobra and now I'm looking forward to pulling up without notice and taking him for a spin in a really sweet roadster, even if it's not his Shelby.

So, I just put a deposit down on a near perfect example with only 14K miles on the clock. When the truck delivers, I'd be happy to share some photos...unless it will offend Mr. Points.

Points, I do get what you mean about the 911. But as our first Porsche, I think the Boxster will suit our needs just a little better.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^Its all in good taste. Happy for you Mr. Ensoll. And of course the pics are mandatory on the list.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, please do post pics! Look forward to seeing your new ride!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I own both (well sort of: the same 2005 Boxster S, and a new 991.2--though I can average that in my mind with a previously owned 1989 C4).

Both have pros and cons, and generally similar performance. The cargo space is also similar, though with different compromises. Engine access on both is just sad.

Some key differences (some obvious):

The drop top on the Boxster. Glorious on the right days but makes for a noisier car when cruising.

In its day, the 987 was often cited as the best handling car in the US/world.

The 987 is a generation newer than the 996.

The 996 can provide more leg room, critical for some drivers over 6 ft tall.

Others?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 AM
ensoll
4th Gear

Yes, I forgot about leg room. I just barely fit into the Boxster with the seat fully slid back for my 6' height and 32" inseam. But this is usually the case for me with most any car I drive, and to think I used to be 2" taller! I did notice that the 911 seemed a little more accommodating. It actually fit my person like a driving glove. The seat seemed a little higher up than the Boxster and was more humane to enter/exit. At my 230 lbs, getting up out of the Boxster was a noticeable maneuver compared to the 911. But I chocked that up to being part of the fun.

It's now the day after making my choice and I must say, I'm looking forward to the Boxster, but I'm equally already missing that beautiful 911. The fellow selling it was a great guy who took meticulous care of it. I surely wish I could have both.

Quick Reply: 911 vs Boxster