Notices

Need advice after GTS rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 PM
calbear13
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice after GTS rear ended

Hi Rennlist community - wanted to see if anyone has advice on my current situation.

I picked up a 2016 911 GTS exactly a year ago and drove it for 6 months until my girlfriend was driving it and got rear ended on the freeway by an underinsured Honda. It pushed the car into the concrete barrier and there was damage on both sides, with airbag deployed.

It took 4 months, 3 weeks, and $80k to repair the car. 2 months of that was the car sitting in the body shop while Porsche kept missing their deadline to send one part (the dash), which finally came at the end of March.

The part was received and the car was finally "repaired" last Tuesday 4/4. Within 10 minutes of driving back home I got a fault already and called the body shop (Porsche certified) and they advised me not to drive any more. They came out and towed it. Then they took the car in for several days and who knows what was done. I still have no info from them about what was wrong or what was repaired, but I got the car back today finally.

While driving back home on the freeway (flat) I started to hear some sounds from the rear of the car but the music would drown it out so I didn't get too annoyed by it. Then I drove it again later tonight on curvy back roads and it was just intolerable. There were squeaks and rattles coming from the front, middle, and back of the car. Even with music full blast I could hear it and it was just ruining the driving experience.

So now I am going to take it back in and see what they can do. My concern is about their quality control. I got my car back after 5 months and it breaks within 10 minutes, then I get it back again 6 days later and I just keep hearing annoying squeaks and rattles all over and even the music won't drown it out.

As you can imagine I'm pretty frustrated and I don't know what to do. I don't have faith in the dealer or body shop quality control because I found these issues within minutes or a couple hours of getting my car back (both times). So now I'm wondering who really knows what else is broken inside. I'm going to get a third party inspection done to make sure there isn't a mess under the hood. It's really spoiling the fun of having a 911 GTS and the accident was not even my fault. I've been very patient, waiting 5 months, and I thought I could finally drive my car again but it's a mess and if I take it back in to the body shop I have no idea when I'll get it back and if it will be really "repaired".

What do you advise? It's just been a mess trying to coordinate with Porsche, the dealership, the body shop, insurance etc. and I'm left holding the bag.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

It doesn't sound like you will be happy with this car in the long run. After you get these issues worked out, you may want to consider selling or trading it for a replacement. Both my father and father-in-law would sell their car if it had an accident and move on to a new one. They couldn't deal with it psychologically. Once it was damaged, that is all they could see, even after it was repaired. While I was typing this, I remembered my wife telling me that she threw up down the defrost vent in one of her dads cars when she was young. It couldn't be thoroughly cleaned without completely disassembling the dash. He sold the car a short time later for that reason.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
It doesn't sound like you will be happy with this car in the long run. After you get these issues worked out, you may want to consider selling or trading it for a replacement. Both my father and father-in-law would sell their car if it had an accident and move on to a new one. They couldn't deal with it psychologically. Once it was damaged, that is all they could see, even after it was repaired. While I was typing this, I remembered my wife telling me that she threw up down the defrost vent in one of her dads cars when she was young. It couldn't be thoroughly cleaned without completely disassembling the dash. He sold the car a short time later for that reason.
Would you please post a notice on these forums, complete with VIN#s, of any cars you or your family have posted for sale?

Thanks very much!

:-)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

The offending cars were all American, as I recall! No Porsche. My dad did get rid of his one and only Mercedes in the mid 70s because it had the hybrid electronic ignition with points. He was constantly changing points.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
The offending cars were all American, as I recall! No Porsche. My dad did get rid of his one and only Mercedes in the mid 70s because it had the hybrid electronic ignition with points. He was constantly changing points.
Just let us know if any of your vehicles posted for sale in the future suffer from such things as having been excessively farted in.

Quick Reply: Need advice after GTS rear ended