Notices

Question on leather interior 991.2

Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 PM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question on leather interior 991.2

As I ponder my ideal configuration, I cannot decide on getting a full leather interior (dashboard and doors covered) or just going with the standard kit (plastic dashboard).

I'm trying to be frugal (there doesn't seem to be an upper limit one can spend on the options, ha) and looking at the plastic dashboard in the showroom seems fine to me. It's a $4k difference, so I have to think about it carefully.

My question is what is everyone's long term experience having owned either configuration.
If you have plastic, do you wish you ordered leather? Regrets?
If you have leather, does it age gracefully or will it look worn and old after a while? Does having leather covered dashboard make you happy or do you question if it was really necessary?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:12 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in Europe there's a small but significantly growing trend away from 'animal skin' towards using hi-performance fabrics and plastics. So a plastic dash and 'base' leather is fine.

Much depends on whether you're a 'keeper' or a 'rotator'. Some guys buy a 911 just to scratch that '911 itch' and then sell on after 12 months or so. At best, with leasing, it's a 36 month timescale and a mentality to match. That's why there's a ton of 'Blue-Black-Silver' 911s out there with formulaic specs and multi-owners. It's safe, it's what the Porsche dealer wants to see coming back to retail on quickly to another punter with a short-term view.

This is not a negative criticism BTW: it's just, in my view, an accurate critique. So, if you're a 'rotator' listen to what your dealer says: if the majority have 'all leather ' interiors in your region then it might be a false economy not buying it....

If you are a 'keeper' and not sensible... then look long and hard at Porsche's Tex fabrics or (if you've got deeper pockets) its alcantara range. Personally, I'd be looking even further down the road beyond, say, Zuffenhausen's own 'Exclusiv' programme. There are plenty of 928s out there (along with Singers) that have tartans and other fabrics blended into the cabin which, in my view, look great, so maybe going for a simple black or bi-colour cabin (and saving money initially) gives you more scope to 'mix & match' later. If, of course, that's your bag.

As for a plastic dashboard: in 5 or 10 years time (and certainly beyond that) no 911 buyer is going to give a damn.... as opposed to you over-revving it around Laguna Seca or bending the chassis in a shunt....where he will ;-)

Last edited by BertoneBertoni; 10-24-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-18-2016, 11:26 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

got the regular black leather and the plastic dashboard. I think it looks great. It's my personal tastes though. I went minimalist on the exterior and interior colors/materials and spent all the money on performance options. I couldn't be happier.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:29 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
got the regular black leather and the plastic dashboard. I think it looks great. It's my personal tastes though. I went minimalist on the exterior and interior colors/materials and spent all the money on performance options. I couldn't be happier.

Function before Form: Walter Gropius and Ferdy Porsche would be proud of you....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on leather interior 991.2