Notices

I want to share with you my terrible experiences with Porsche North Scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I want to share with you my terrible experiences with Porsche North Scottsdale

Hi guys, my grievances have been aired out with the dealership, owned by Penske, and they didn't seem to be bothered by it so I want to share with as many people as I can.

In May of 2015 I set out to purchase a Porsche and found out that you don't just go order a GT4, so I decided on a 991 Carrera S after I test drove one along with a 997 and a 981 at Porsche North Scottsdale. I found my sales person to be knowledgeable and he was able to answer every question I had, I concluded he was a good guy to work with. Unfortunately after browsing Porsche's website for a month trying to find a car spec'd exactly as I wanted, nothing came up until one popped up at Porsche DTLA so I bought the car, flew there, and drove it home. After a while of enjoying the car I drove it to Porsche North Scottsdale to purchase some accessories and the sales person met me out front asking me where I got the car in a somewhat irritated tone. I told him I bought it from DTLA because it was exactly the car I wanted and we both agreed that it was like finding a needle in a haystack, he began asking why I didn't call him first and give him a chance to find me the right car which seemed more than odd.

After about 6 months of buying the car I began to grow tired of it and approached the same sales person at Porsche North Scottsdale about getting a GT4, they had a lead on quite a few of them and all were priced 15% over MSRP (slightly used) so I decided that I would only pay that if the absolute perfect build became available. I would peruse the website for the dealership every few days just to keep an eye on it, I must have visited them 5-8 times to sit in cars and browse during the next 6 months, finally I think I just wanted something different so I worked out a fair deal on a 997 Turbo S through that sales person, he and I made a handshake deal for the car based on an "out the door" price which changed to a "plus fees" price when I got into the finance office. I begrudgingly paid the extra money because in the grand scheme of things it was an insignificant amount of money ($1,800) for a car of that price. I was clear with him that I felt slighted and I was clear with him that I was not going to escalate it and he began to argue with me the American way (volume, proximity, and repetition) that I was in the wrong and was confused.

Whatever.

I had that Turbo S for 2 months and apparently I never loved it because the entire time I was still looking at GT4s, what I really wanted in the beginning. One day this same sales person called me and said he had a brand new one a buyer flaked on and I could buy it at MSRP, I was completely jazzed on it, ready to go and thinking I'd take a little hit on my Turbo S but hell, I just bought it and I'm a return customer and will clearly be a customer again and again if they take care of me. The buy bid they showed me for my car was asinine to say the least, a reduction of 27% in just two months - I purchased the car from them for 92K and they offered me 68K, coincidentally the same amount they gave me for the 991 Carrera S just two months earlier. I stood up and walked away, the salesman called me just a few minutes later and did his usual belligerent and high pressure stuff with me, I felt insulted and then pressured to make a terrible decision and let them bend me over a barrel.

Just recently I decided I am finally going to get the GT4 and I contacted a friend who has purchased a Turbo S from the same dealership to ask the name of his sales person (that sales person also sold 991 Turbo S cars to three other guys I know). I contacted this sales person and everything seemed better, he was great at following up and even had his assistant contact me to make sure everything I wanted to know was communicated to me. He tells me there is a GT4 in the dealership and I should come look at it and by this time I have found the right car at another store in the same complex also owned by Penske but I wanted to see the car at Porsche to see how it compared and have a back up. I stopped in to see this car and the salesman I had issues with during prior deals was there and pulled the car around for me, I looked at it and decided I didn't want it when the sales person confronted me in a courteous way about being upset with him. I said "yes, I am upset with you and I've told you exactly how I feel and we have discussed what we need to discuss." Just a few hours after I leave the store sales person #2 called me asking why I would go talk to the guy I was mad at after he had invested his time with me, I explained to him that I was in the area looking at another car, was pressed for time and just wanted to see the car and get home. He started telling me how I was causing confusion and making issues between the sales people, he then fed me yet another line of bull**** how he had "shook the tree and made some leaves fall to get you a great bid for your Turbo S... how does 74K sound?". At this point I'm starting to get pissed off, the whole reason I called you is because the first guy insulted me, now you're telling me how much of a favor you've done for me and your bid is 4K lower than the bid from the NON PORSCHE store around the corner that Penske owns. Furthermore, their GT4 which is much better equipped is 8K less, so I'm a net 12K cheaper for a better equipped car from a store that does not know me, has never sold me a car, and knows I'm a fan of a brand they don't usually sell and will likely never see me again. You've got to be kidding me, throw me a bone here.

So, I bought the car from Bentley Scottsdale, it was the absolute best transaction I've ever had. The sales person, the finance manager, the GM, and the Sales Manager were helpful, fun, courteous and just plain easy to work with. There was never a stressful moment during the entire process and I made an offer to them over text message and got a message back an hour later that was an acceptable counter so I took it, that was that. They made Porsche's offer look downright insulting when it already looked bad.

Here's the kicker, why I'll never shop at Porsche North Scottsdale again, I'm in Bentley about to complete my deal and I hear a voice say "I don't know what that [insert my last name] guy is doing, he's just jerking us all around, let me know how this works out for you" and walks away. I was able to read his name tag and he was the second sales person I spoke with at Porsche. Damn, man. You lost sales from being hard to work with but I still may have been a customer in the future, now you've lost me. I'll never go back to your store. You insult me financially, take advantage of me with lies and deceit, and then talk **** about me to guys who are in the process of selling me a car when I'm in earshot.

If you managed to read through all that then I commend you, the funny part of this is when I tell people the condensed version of this story in person they don't act surprised in the slightest, they just say things like "yeah, they kind of have that reputation".

/endrant
Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Penske is a public company and is run as such. The Bentley's team may have had better margins in the GT4 but that's no excuse for how you were treated, which was despicably.

I was at Barrett Jackson and that dealer had 2 930s on consignment for 165 and 185k- they sat there and ultimately their owners had them shipped home.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:02 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Penske is a public company and is run as such. The Bentley's team may have had better margins in the GT4 but that's no excuse for how you were treated, which was despicably. I was at Barrett Jackson and that dealer had 2 930s on consignment for 165 and 185k- they sat there and ultimately their owners had them shipped home.
Plus the other guys will have to explain why they lost the sale...
Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

It takes a certain type of person to sell cars or to enter a system designed to make you a certain way or you will perish. Like the scorpion, it is in their nature.

Maybe they are feeling the pressure now that PC is in town? I assure you, they will not sell 750 cars this year.

Eddie
Old 09-30-2016, 12:03 AM
VLJ
Pro

Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
Reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

It takes a certain type of person to sell cars or to enter a system designed to make you a certain way or you will perish. Like the scorpion, it is in their nature.

Maybe they are feeling the pressure now that PC is in town? I assure you, they will not sell 750 cars this year.

Eddie
The unfortunate part for PC is due to their location I think North Scottsdale is always going to have a leg up, so many people will put up with their bull**** because they don't want to go near the poor people in chandler.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:38 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have many close friends who, while far from being financially comfortable, are generous, respectful, polite, humble and loving people.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Exit.

Last edited by RONGLOS; 03-29-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:37 PM
VLJ
Pro

I don't think I ever came across a David.

To be quite fair, my service advisor at PNS and the parts guy have been truly exceptional every time I have been there. I almost bought a car once from PC and their staff was exceptional so I am inclined to say I'll go to PC for future purchases and PNS for service, whatever. I just don't want to blast individuals personally, for all I know the problem is coming from above them and I don't want to assume I know the entire story.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:44 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Deleted.

Last edited by RONGLOS; 03-29-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

Delete

Last edited by RONGLOS; 03-29-2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Old news
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

TMI
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 AM
VLJ
Pro

They all seem to be a bit arrogant and argumentative.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:48 AM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VLJ
They all seem to be a bit arrogant and argumentative.
100% confirmed, hopefully PC gets PNS to pick up their game.

and yes, the parts guy is awesome

Quick Reply: I want to share with you my terrible experiences with Porsche North Scottsdale