Notices

Scraping and clunk sound while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM
squadx
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping and clunk sound while driving

Here u can clearly see where the bolts holding crossmember are gone. Its hanging by a piece (rubber) in the middle

New to the forum. Did a search but dudnt turn up anything. Over the past 4-5 months my cayenne s would randomly make a clunk sound when turning or getting on the brakes. Again not often and it was random. Well last night while driving home on the highway I hear this loud clunk and scraping. It continued for the remaining ride home, about 25 mins. When I would stop at a light it was gone but would come back and louder as I accelerated. Finally got home and looked under cayenne and noticed the transmission support bracket is hanging in the middle. The bolts that hold it in place on each side were gone. Also noticed the driveshaft was scraping the bracket under it as I could see the scrape marks around it. Any one had this happen before. Its a 2011 cayenne with 80k driven twice a week. No offroading on streets. No New warming lights came on when this happened (check engine light has been in for about 8 months after one of the screws that holds the camshaft snapped off andcreauired a 9k fix and the Indy shop can't figure out why the engine light is still on after checking and replacing various parts after the camshaft fix was performed). Cayenne drove fine except for noise. Its headed to the Indy shop today and I'm hoping the only damage (to my wallet really) is the replacement of a few screws to attach the crossmember support back to chassis. Also a few days ago the Psm and deactivate lights came on when I went to drive the cayenne home from work. Got home and turned it off and back on and only the deactivate light returned. Next day neither light showed up however the following day both returned then went away after turning cayenne off. I do nice it runs rough when this happens and seems like it's shuddering or shifting into hear with caution.

Last edited by squadx; 08-26-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added images
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM
squadx
6th Gear

Originally Posted by squadx

Here u can clearly see where the bolts holding crossmember are gone. Its hanging by a piece (rubber) in the middle

New to the forum. Did a search but dudnt turn up anything. Over the past 4-5 months my cayenne s would randomly make a clunk sound when turning or getting on the brakes. Again not often and it was random. Well last night while driving home on the highway I hear this loud clunk and scraping. It continued for the remaining ride home, about 25 mins. When I would stop at a light it was gone but would come back and louder as I accelerated. Finally got home and looked under cayenne and noticed the transmission support bracket is hanging in the middle. The bolts that hold it in place on each side were gone. Also noticed the driveshaft was scraping the bracket under it as I could see the scrape marks around it. Any one had this happen before. Its a 2011 cayenne with 80k driven twice a week. No offroading on streets. No New warming lights came on when this happened (check engine light has been in for about 8 months after one of the screws that holds the camshaft snapped off andcreauired a 9k fix and the Indy shop can't figure out why the engine light is still on after checking and replacing various parts after the camshaft fix was performed). Cayenne drove fine except for noise. Its headed to the Indy shop today and I'm hoping the only damage (to my wallet really) is the replacement of a few screws to attach the crossmember support back to chassis. Also a few days ago the Psm and deactivate lights came on when I went to drive the cayenne home from work. Got home and turned it off and back on and only the deactivate light returned. Next day neither light showed up however the following day both returned then went away after turning cayenne off. I do nice it runs rough when this happens and seems like it's shuddering or shifting into hear with caution.
There also seems to be some gease around the chassis near the cross member mount points. Not sure if that adds to this but I've never noticed any drops or spots under cayenne
Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM
squadx
6th Gear

Also does the transmission cross member support hold up the trans and drive shaft? I'm a little lost because I would like if the cross member become unattached the driveshaft bearing would still hold the driveshaft up or is the bearing not strong enough to support the weight of the cross member becomes unattached? Surprising if both the bearing and cross member both failed or the bearing failed and I was unaware and not the cross member failed and uncovered the bearing issue too. For not having driven this Cayenne much, it has had its share of problems. Still can't get ivervthe driveshaft screw and that 8-9k repair.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Wrong forum. Post it in the cayenne forum.

Quick Reply: Scraping and clunk sound while driving