Notices

Dealer refuses to replace damaged tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:13 PM
cb4
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer refuses to replace damaged tire

I recently bought a CPO Cayman R from a local dealer. After a few weeks of driving the car I noticed my driver side rear tire was loosing tire pressure. Not a lot mind you but enough for me to want to get it checked out before I took it to the track for my first event.

I took it to a local shop that I trust to have them do a leak test. I figured if it was a puncture I'd have to have the tire replaced on my dime. They didn't find any punctures. I asked if they could take the tire off the wheel and check to see if there was something wrong with the tire or wheel.

They found that the part of the beed had been chunked away. Probably mounted improperly.

At this point I emailed my dealer and asked them to replace the tire. When I asked when they wanted me to bring it in the sales guy said that they couldn't cover this. Long story short the dealership refused to replace the tire. My sales person had a few conversations with the CPO guy as well as service and their general statement was that the tire was not leaking when they sold it and that they can't be sure that my shop hadn't damaged the tire. After a couple more email exchanges and a phone call it was obvious to me they were not going to replace the tire under CPO or any goodwill.

I am planning to file a claim with Porsche NA or someone that represents Porsche CPO. Can someone tell me the best contact for this? At the very least I want to express my disappointment with the dealership. They sold me a damaged tire that is unsafe to drive and they refuse to replace it! I'm just glad I had it checked out before my first track day.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You aren't going to get anywhere unless you can prove - not assert - they sold it that way.
But GL.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 PM
cb4
Track Day

It's evidence is clear.

Title was leaking air. Tire was taken off rim. Tire showed damage that cannot happen if it was mounted properly. Done.

But thanks for the guidance.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

How is it clear?
You drove it for - in your own words - a few weeks before noticing this.
Anything could have happened in that time.
You -could- have taken it somewhere and they remounted it badly.
I get that you didn't, but how will you prove it came that way?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Dealer refuses to replace damaged tire

Terrible business practice from the dealer, proof or otherwise. Losing a client for 300 bucks?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

A client who suspects a problem on a consumable weeks after purchase but doesn't take it back to the dealer he bought it from.
Instead goes to "a local shop that I trust".
Then emails the dealer out of the blue asking for a replacement.

I'm sure the dealer looked at the long term opportunity of a goodwill replacement quite carefully here. Just saying...

And lest you get the wrong idea, I'm not a fan of dealerships and have nfi in any of them.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry...I'm in agreement with the dealer on this. I feel bad for OP but the car should have been taken back to the dealer at the first sign of a leak ... especially having CPO coverage.

I don't know if CPO process requires removing tires from rims to check for damage but I assume not. If the car has TPMS, then the problem would likely have been noticed earlier. Tough situation but I would have handled the situation much differently.

Try to look past it and go enjoy the car.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Negotiate. Will the dealership split it with you 50:50? Worse case, if you buy a new tire, will they mount & balance for no charge?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
cb4
Track Day

Hindsite I agree that I should have just taken it to the dealer right away. The problem is that its not very convenient for me. My thought process was that this is an obvious tire puncture problem. Which I wouldn't expect a dealer to fix or cover the cost of. I get that tire punctures can happen any time and that if it were a puncture I would need to have it fixed on my own dime.

When it turned out to be a more significant tire problem, which by the way could not happen by driving on it, I then reached out to the dealer. I offered to bring the tire and wheel in for them to inspect. By looking at the photo it should have been clear that this could only happen when mounting the tire or when the tire was off the wheel.

They chose to not trust me on this. Yes the shop I went to could have damaged it when taking off the tire but this wouldn't explain why I was experiencing tire pressure loss to begin with. So the dealer refusing to even inspect the tire at this point was a bit of a surprise. They chose to believe that I was lying about the tire pressure loss and that the shop must have damaged it.

I agree that this is really bad practice for any dealership to refuse replacement. The goodwill they lost for a couple hundred bucks doesn't make much sense to me. Bad news and I will stay away from now on.

Unfortunate too, cause I really enjoyed working with the salesman there. I don't put this on him, I put this on the dealership's practice and management.

The sales guy managed to offer half the replacement cost and I am sure that is probably coming out if his commission or off the sale price.

If it were my practice this would have been a no brainer. Trust the customer that just spent a good chunk of money on a cpo car, I payed list by the way, and just take care of it as the request was reasonable and with a high probability that the car was sold that way.

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by cb4
The sales guy managed to offer half the replacement cost and I am sure that is probably coming out if his commission or off the sale price.
This is very fair and equitable. Why did you leave this important nugget out of your original post?

And your title is very inaccurate.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by cb4
They chose to not trust me on this.
They did not choose to disbelieve you. In fact, they believe a majority of what you've said, that's why they have offered to cover 50% of the costs. What are the return policies at your company? Are they this amiable, decisive and equitable??
Old 05-12-2016, 05:04 PM
cb4
Track Day

Originally Posted by LexVan
They did not choose to disbelieve you. In fact, they believe a majority of what you've said, that's why they have offered to cover 50% of the costs. What are the return policies at your company? Are they this amiable, decisive and equitable??
We always make any defects right. A customer should no expect to cover the cost of a defective part.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by cb4
We always make any defects right. A customer should no expect to cover the cost of a defective part.
If you think that tire is defective, send a picture to Michelin/Pirelli (I can't tell who's tire it is). But, now you're jumping to "defective" from "damaged". How'd you make that leap?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cb4
I payed list by the way
Now I understand completely.

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to replace damaged tire