Notices

My first Porsche...a difficult choice! Could use some recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:26 PM
TargaGTS
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Porsche...a difficult choice! Could use some recommendations...

I've been a serious enthusiast for over 20 years. Owned plenty of great cars including a 1993 & 1994 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo, a 2005 Audi S4, a 2005 Honda S2000, a 2009 BMW M3, and now a Porsche 911 !

I was pretty sure I wanted the Turbo or Turbo S but when I found out the flat sixes would be gone, I decided to go with a GTS. My wife found a way to convince me "we" needed a Targa and after plenty of weeks considering, I thought "happy wife, happy life" and was very fortunate to get an order in last week for a Targa GTS. It should arrive before the year is over and I'm pretty thrilled.

I don't plan on making many changes to it, but I would like to consider something to make the rear end a little more appealing. I do think the standard coupe GTS is better looking (IMHO) but this car is probably more beautiful and tough. Any suggestions? I may also someday consider another set of wheels...maybe. Any suggestions?

I hope to hear back from the community. This will be a keeper and I plan on passing it down to my kid.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:33 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

we can help u better if u discuss how u plan to use the car
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
TargaGTS
6th Gear

I'll be driving this car a few days a week but I plan on taking it to the track a few times a year (not as often as I have with my previous cars). I definitely want to keep reliability high, so nothing major. I've heard the suspension may leave a little room for improvement but I don't want to lose of the features either. Any thoughts? I'd love to find a way to get the fixed spoiler of the GTS on my Targa!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 PM
fredz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is my car and I got it with the Ducktail and it is just right! Not a fan of the larger spread force spoiler.....but this is just the right amount for me..maybe you too.
hope it helps.....fun car!!
fredz
Old 10-22-2015, 11:04 AM
TargaGTS
6th Gear

Default My first Porsche...a difficult choice! Could use some recommendations...

Do you know if I could get that Ducktail on a Targa? I absolutely would have went with that option if I had stuck with a Carrera GTS but it's not an option with the Targa.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:48 AM
fredz
Intermediate

would that be a question or a statment?
I wasn't sure that was not an option on Targas and it should be
Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 PM
TargaGTS
6th Gear

I've spoken to at least 5 dealerships on this and the website all confirm that the ducktail is not an option on the Targa. It's a shame because I love the ducktail. So I'm still trying to see what I can do once the Targa GTS come in. Maybe someone out there has some options.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 PM
fredz
Intermediate

This is not going to be as funny to you as it will to me...but....can't resist...
Maybe Duck tape!!
But seriously...it doesn 't make sense, I agree with you. I am not sure it cannot be done..but that is a structual issue. The look is , indeed, good..and there must be some aftermarket option that would be nice, acceptable and reasonable.
hope you find that look.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

IIRC the Targa has a hatch over the rear end, so the ducktail doesn't work. The ducktail mounts on the part of the rear decklid that is the normal (non Targa) engine cover.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 PM
TargaGTS
6th Gear

Thanks golfnutintib. I may look into the TechArt products. Anyone have experience with their products?

Quick Reply: My first Porsche...a difficult choice! Could use some recommendations...