Notices

Thinking Of a Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Audifreak666
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking Of a Cayenne Diesel

Never owned a Porsche nor do I have friends that own Porsches. I am in need of a decent sized SUV for a growing family (wife and 2 kids). I was looking at the Q7 that's got plenty of room but I am not a fan of their design. I like the Mercedes GL350 BlueTec but still feel like the quality inside it is lacking for almost an $80K SUV. X5 is too small. I loved the SQ5 but small back seats. For the hell of it, I went to Porsche and test drove the Cayenne Diesel the other week and LOVED it. I do have some concerns that I am sure come with every would be first time buyer into a German luxury brand (in other words...expensive to maintain stuff lol). I have owned 2 Audis and have had just minor stuff (in fact I would be trading in an A4 with 100+K miles on it that's been great). First, I am looking at long term ownership (as you can tell from my A4), I am just afraid of maintenance costs and reliability of a Porsche Cayenne since it is a Porsche and probably more expensive to repair/maintain. How has everyone's Cayenne ownership been? Any reliability issues with the diesel? Would a family of 4 be comfortable in it? Trunk space seemed a little on the small side (that's about the biggest concern with a double stroller in the back and adding more stuff). Is it worth getting the maintenance plan? It seems like a lot of the maintenance for the first 50K is oil/filter changes. What kind of MPG's are you getting with the diesel? So long term reliability is probably the most important followed by roominess for a family of 4.
Any recommendations and suggestions for a probable first time Porsche owner is highly appreciated!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Audifreak666
Never owned a Porsche nor do I have friends that own Porsches. I am in need of a decent sized SUV for a growing family (wife and 2 kids). I was looking at the Q7 that's got plenty of room but I am not a fan of their design. I like the Mercedes GL350 BlueTec but still feel like the quality inside it is lacking for almost an $80K SUV. X5 is too small. I loved the SQ5 but small back seats. For the hell of it, I went to Porsche and test drove the Cayenne Diesel the other week and LOVED it. I do have some concerns that I am sure come with every would be first time buyer into a German luxury brand (in other words...expensive to maintain stuff lol). I have owned 2 Audis and have had just minor stuff (in fact I would be trading in an A4 with 100+K miles on it that's been great). First, I am looking at long term ownership (as you can tell from my A4), I am just afraid of maintenance costs and reliability of a Porsche Cayenne since it is a Porsche and probably more expensive to repair/maintain. How has everyone's Cayenne ownership been? Any reliability issues with the diesel? Would a family of 4 be comfortable in it? Trunk space seemed a little on the small side (that's about the biggest concern with a double stroller in the back and adding more stuff). Is it worth getting the maintenance plan? It seems like a lot of the maintenance for the first 50K is oil/filter changes. What kind of MPG's are you getting with the diesel? So long term reliability is probably the most important followed by roominess for a family of 4.
Any recommendations and suggestions for a probable first time Porsche owner is highly appreciated!
I would suggest you visit the Cayenne forum on Reenlist. Lots of information. I do have a Cayenne diesel ( our third Cayenne) and could not be happier.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

i've a cd that I bought mainly as a daily and for towing a trailer. its a great car. Although the 2015 turbo motor S and the low cost of fuel that may go on for some time may have me reconsider were I buying today... the diesel does have more frequent oil changes, and does need adblue (which you can buy at walmart and fill yourself). My car is a 2013 and has been flawless to date. I get over 30mpg on the highway, mid 20s around town, and about 22 pulling a 4500 lb trailer. Rather than getting maintenance plan, find a very low miles CPO car... I found one that was a year old and 2000 miles, for a substantial discount off new price + porsche CPO warranty.

Quick Reply: Thinking Of a Cayenne Diesel