Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   General Porsche Discussions Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum-73/)
-   -   Clear bra protection? (https://rennlist.com/forums/general-porsche-discussions-forum/840709-clear-bra-protection.html)

viperz06 10-25-2014 11:38 PM

Clear bra protection?

Tons in the search function on this subject. Just 1 question? Do you all recommend to cover the entire hood area or just half way up the hood. Will just be doing local driving, no track. Any recommendations welcomed.

Johnny_law 10-26-2014 02:25 AM

I did the entire front. No seams. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Johnny

viperz06 10-26-2014 08:44 PM

Any product recommendations? Does it distort the paint? Make it look different from the rest of the car? Mine is black.

MoeMistry 10-28-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 11752501)
Tons in the search function on this subject. Just 1 question? Do you all recommend to cover the entire hood area or just half way up the hood. Will just be doing local driving, no track. Any recommendations welcomed.

Full hood...not only does it look better, but it's maximum protection. Half hoods are so a thing of the past IMHO.

Kevin Rohrer 10-29-2014 11:12 AM

Do the full hood. I got 1/2 done and wish I had done the whole thing. Also get your mirrors done, as well as the entire front-end clip.

Xpel does not distort the paint, and is completely invisible, unless you get within 4-feet of the car. Xpel also takes wax or polish (what I use) fine.

viperz06 11-10-2014 12:35 AM

Got the whole front done plus mirrors. Did Suntek. Install job was OK. Car is black and I can see where every piece of lint is trapped!

MoeMistry 11-10-2014 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 11791461)
Got the whole front done plus mirrors. Did Suntek. Install job was OK. Car is black and I can see where every piece of lint is trapped!

Got your PM...can you send a photo of the imperfections?

viperz06 11-18-2014 12:30 PM

Moe, tried to take pics but on the black background didn't show up too good. There are 15-20 tiny bubbles like where a small grain of sand or a piece of lint got behind the bra and kept the bra from settling completely down. Very noticible when under light barely noticeable out in the day. Overall I would say I am disappointed at the number of them. On black am I being unreasonable?

Premier 11-29-2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 11812326)
Moe, tried to take pics but on the black background didn't show up too good. There are 15-20 tiny bubbles like where a small grain of sand or a piece of lint got behind the bra and kept the bra from settling completely down. Very noticible when under light barely noticeable out in the day. Overall I would say I am disappointed at the number of them. On black am I being unreasonable?

Based on your description, it sounds like an inexperienced installer went at it on your car. Talk to the installer and see what he can do...quality companies do stand by their work and warranty. Hope you get this sorted out.

MoeMistry 11-30-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 11812326)

Very sorry to hear you're having a bad experience? As Premiere mentioned, most reputable installers will stand by their work and will make things right. None of us are perfect, but in the end, we all strive to make our clients happy. We have clients come back for a "follow-up" visit whenever we do clear bra, tint, or even major paint correction. This allows us to fully see the scope of what needs to be done, if anything, to "touch-up" the work.

Have you tried calling the installer and letting him/her know you're concerns? Are they an authorized installer for the film they used on your car?

viperz06 11-30-2014 11:35 PM

Yes they offered to redo the hood.

MoeMistry 12-01-2014 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by viperz06 (Post 11841157)
Yes they offered to redo the hood.

That's great to hear. It's a good start and usually the second time is better with some guys since they know you're going to look even closer to make sure the same issues don't arise.

We all make mistakes and a sign of a good shop is how well they take care of you when things go wrong. In the end, if the relationship is to last for years, there needs to be solid communication between the client's wants and the service provider's skills and services.

Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

ckarlos 12-10-2014 05:02 AM

Good to know that they will redo it. I'm thinking of putting clear bra on my ride also but I might go with Xpel since it has 10 year warranty.

Premier 12-16-2014 02:36 PM

Great to hear. This is where a stand up company comes to play. Ultimately, it is the installer that will make or break the install regardless of product brand.