Notices

Beck 904: Is it too stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 AM
yardpro
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i know i am digging up a VERY old thread, but i somehow found my way to it tooling around rennlist and i HAVE to comment...

what a bunch of pompous a$$es..

Any of you who insist that you would NEVER own a fake... blah blah blah.. are complete tools....

the purpose of these clones are to pay tribute to a beautiful car with beautiful lines that inspired emotions in those that look upon it...

As long as you dont try and say its the real mcCoy whats the issue? In fact they spread the love by making the ar more well known... Who outside of porsche nuts have ever heard of a 904?

why not have something you an share with the rest of the world and not keep locked away in a climate controlled bubble.

Cars are pieces of art. the shape and lines are what get me going...They are like a beautiful woman...

I personally would love to see more clones out and about. so for all you stuck up fuddy duddies, get over your pretentious arrogant self righteous selves and appreciate the car for what it is... a company and owners paying Homage to a great car.

The clone market will only make the real copy ore valuable... if more people are exposed to the car and want it, the real mccoy will become more valuable....

personally My son and i get excited whenever we see an E type jag, an ac cobra, a ferrari, lambo, 356, speedster, etc.... driving down the road...

It matters not if they are real or clones, the emotions and conversations that they inspire are real..
Cars that are this iconic should be shared with the masses to keep the motorhead spirit alive... otherwise it will die a slow death in a millionaires garage....

they are like fake boobies....
when done well they are things of beauty that should be shared with the world... not kept locked away for no one to see... Are they the real thing... no... but who cares..
Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a well done 904 replica would be stellar to have. Especially a flat 6 car.

We're not talking about a Fiero kit here..
Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Hannibal308
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed! Beck 904 with a 3.2 or 3.6 air cooled, carbed, flat six and NO badges would be the bomb.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:50 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I had the pleasure of sharing Thunderhill with a 904 replica a few months ago and I was pretty much giddy every time I got a glimpse of the car. I think I was more excited to see that 904 replica on track than I was when I shared Sonoma with a McLaren P1 and 650S last month.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

No affiliation but there is another builder here in the UK

http://www.technic-motorsport.com/M&...4%20intro.html

Ive started looking into the possibility since i first read about the
Beck replicas
Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM
dlearl476
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by yardpro
i know i am digging up a VERY old thread, but i somehow found my way to it tooling around rennlist and i HAVE to comment...

what a bunch of pompous a$$es..

Any of you who insist that you would NEVER own a fake... blah blah blah.. are complete tools....

the purpose of these clones are to pay tribute to a beautiful car with beautiful lines that inspired emotions in those that look upon it...

As long as you dont try and say its the real mcCoy whats the issue? In fact they spread the love by making the ar more well known... Who outside of porsche nuts have ever heard of a 904?

why not have something you an share with the rest of the world and not keep locked away in a climate controlled bubble.

Cars are pieces of art. the shape and lines are what get me going...They are like a beautiful woman...

I personally would love to see more clones out and about. so for all you stuck up fuddy duddies, get over your pretentious arrogant self righteous selves and appreciate the car for what it is... a company and owners paying Homage to a great car.

The clone market will only make the real copy ore valuable... if more people are exposed to the car and want it, the real mccoy will become more valuable....

personally My son and i get excited whenever we see an E type jag, an ac cobra, a ferrari, lambo, 356, speedster, etc.... driving down the road...

It matters not if they are real or clones, the emotions and conversations that they inspire are real..
Cars that are this iconic should be shared with the masses to keep the motorhead spirit alive... otherwise it will die a slow death in a millionaires garage....

they are like fake boobies....
when done well they are things of beauty that should be shared with the world... not kept locked away for no one to see... Are they the real thing... no... but who cares..
I agree. I own a Beck, an original made by Chuck. #201 Personally, I doubt I'll ever get to ride in an original. Yet, I get the experience of driving one.

Keep in mind that Chuck's cars aren't plastic bodies on VW pans. Both the 550 and the 904 are built the same way the originals were, Fiberglass bodies bonded to tube/formed stainless steel frames.

I would challenge any "purist" here to drive an original Speedster, then one of Beck's cars made by Special Editions in Indiana and get back to us. If you're looking for "cred" or resale value, get an original. If you want a better, functional car that won't break the bank, look into a Beck. Intermeccanica also makes a good 356/Speedster replica. Personally, I would PREFER one to an original.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I love the Beck 904 and think it's great he's doing what he's doing. He's being as faithful to the original as any replica car can be. Certainly a very different approach than a Fiero with a crappy fiberglass Ferrari body. IMHO, as long as one doesn't try to pass it off as "real" or original, no harm no foul.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Mark78
AutoX

I think a reproduction like this is pretty cool)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM
nine11speedster
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beck 904, here is mine. Enjoy.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
steved0x (07-12-2019)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

wow, that is a beautiful car. Love it!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 PM
rnixon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nine11speedster
Beck 904, here is mine. Enjoy.
Beautiful. Southern California?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 AM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is mine still in production.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM
brainf18
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

New guy just signed up and wanted to say hi to the group. I've really enjoyed reading this thread, especially YardPro's comments:-)

I've been interested in the Special Edition (S.E.) 904 GTS for quite some time. Opinions vary but for me, the 904 is one of the most beautiful and well-proportioned cars ever made and I think the S.E. 904’s shape looks as good or perhaps a little better than Porsche’s original. Yesterday after many years of consideration, I put down a deposit on 904 GTS Chassis #53 to secure a production slot and listed my 991.1 for sale on the PCA classifieds. https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/333857

I've been a Porsche owner and racer for many decades and I've owned examples of every generation 911 (minus the 964) since my first 1982 911 SC along with 924/ 944/968 models and race cars including a Spec 944 and Spec E30. My current ride is a 991.1 Carrera S. So it’s fair to say I’m a died-in-the-wool Porschephile. But there’s a problem - I've found that I no longer like or enjoy overstuffed modern cars with all the video touch screens, beeping parking sensors, Bluetooth, lane departure warnings etc. For me, all of this detracts from the driving experience. Milage will vary for others of course...

My favorite cars of all time were my 1987 911 Carrera G50 and 1997 993 MO30. They had AC, a radio and not much else other than its wonderful, driving dynamics and amazing flat 6 mechanical symphony resonating from the back. I can’t buy a “new” air cooled 911 so for me the S.E. 904 seems to scratch this itch - it’s like having the best of everything. Commissioning a car, custom built to my personal specifications, is also definitely part of the appeal. And if I never see another one on the road, all the better

The 904 GTS build will take anywhere from 12-18 months, so it’s not a fast process. I view the Special Edition 904 much in the same way as the Singer 911 “Reimagined”, which have become widely accepted and sought after. Are either the Singer or S.E. 904 as the factory created them…No. Are they extremely well engineered and built – Yes, albeit S.E. 904 is not built to the same insanely OCD levels of the Singer 911. They both are not inexpensive and have very limited production numbers. Mine is #53 after over 19 years of being produced. One of the things that attracted me to the S.E. 904 was that they deliberately and purposefully use Porsche parts throughout the build. When it’s completed the S.E. 904 will be a mid-engined “exotic” car with a 993 Varioram, 280HP engine mated to a 915 gearbox mounted in a car weighing less than 1800 lb. The S.E.904 GTS seems to me like the answer to automotive modernism gone awry.
The following 2 users liked this post by brainf18:
Carlton Bale (02-07-2022), RotorPower (02-24-2022)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 PM
captzoom
6th Gear

I agree completely with brainf18's comments. I have Beck 904 GTS chassis #30, never titled, registered or driven. Beautiful car in Porsche "Albert Blue" finish. Might list it for sale on Bring a Trailer auction soon, without powertrain. Special Edition tells me that wait list for new orders is now about two years. These cars always draw a crowd, even among many Porsche purists. They are also much more durable than the original cars with chassis frame made of stainless steel and hand-layup composite body bonded to frame. I also fit much better in the Beck 904 at 6'3", with some headroom to spare.
james6speed (05-03-2023)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the first production Beck 904-001.
It has a 1989 3.2 motor in it installed by Chuck.
Was the best, fastest, scariest car I have ever had!

jcgoodlett2 (12-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Beck 904: Is it too stupid?