Notices

Land Rover Discoveries....any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2002, 11:00 AM
David_M
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

[quote]Originally posted by nicoff:
<strong>I do not get it. You guys are comparing a Landcruiser to a Discovery? I would think that the Landcruiser should be compared to the Range Rover not the Discovery. The Discovery is more in line with the 4-Runner.

In any event, you cannot go wrong with Toyota. Landcruiser, 4-Runner, Sequoia, you name it, no LR can touch them for reliability.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Toyota does not make anything that can compete with the Range Rover in performance, comfort, or style. The Landcruiser is a hell of a nice truck but is simply not in the same league as the RR.

When we were shopping for a SUV we drove the 4-Runner the same day we drove the 97 Discovery and the Ford Expedition. Other than its exterior looks the 4-Runner ended up last on our "possibles" list. It was appointed and finished poorly and the interior was very cramped. The Expedition was right up there with the Discovery, even had more space and power, but in the end we wanted something with a bit more character and style and went with the Disco. We liked the way the Discovery drove (like a SUV and not a sedan), the visibility and the high roof line which offered a very comfortable interior. We now have a 99 Series II and the thing is a pleasure to drive. We wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a newer model or a RR.

David
Old 08-09-2002, 03:11 PM
david914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyin Elvis,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but I have tried everything you mentioned and then some. First, I went to my local dealership and they said "no proof of annual corrosion inspection, no warranty". Next was a phone call to LR Owner Care with the same response. Another visit to the dealership to have the local LR area rep take a look. Same response. Then another phone call to LR Owner Care, no luck but this time came away with the president of LR North America's name and address. Wrote a polite, but firm letter pleading my case. The reply came in the form of a letter from his "office" (his secretary) stating that "our office stands behind the decisions made by our field representatives... sorry...". Next was a call the the Better Business Bureau's Automotive Line. After spending much time talking to them on the phone and filling out several pages of paperwork, they said that because I'm not the original owner, and the car has more than 24K miles and is over 2 years old, they cannot help me.

Finally, an idea hit me. What if I contacted the dealership that originally sold the vehicle and performed the maintenance. Maybe they would have the "proof" that I need to satisfy my local dealership and LRNA. After playing detective and making many phone calls, I located the dealership and talked to the service manager. He was very nice, and was sympathetic to my situation. I gave him the particulars on my Discovery and he said that he would try to find a way to help. In the end he stated that because I had already had an area rep look at my vehicle, the documentation was in place and his hands were tied. D'OH!!!

Soooo, here I am. Over a year later and no help in sight. I have had an estimate done by the local bodyshop that my LR dealership recommended. The damage will be to the tune of $1400+ dollars to fix the rust below the Alpine windows and the rust at the C-pillars.

As I stated before, I'm really happy with the vehicle itself. It's just that my wife and I thought we were buying a fairly new vehicle that wouldn't need anything except regular maintenance. We already have three other cars that demand my constant attention. (not that I'm complaining about them!) Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, let me know!
Old 08-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Son of Farquhar
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again,everyone, for the great responses.
Flyin Elvis,
I assume you work in Manchester as well? The reason I ask is that the Rover my cousin is looking at is in Dedham, and she asked me to suggest any dealerships where she could pick up a Rover.
Thanks,
Paul

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Land Rover Discoveries....any thoughts?