Notices

914 Pre Purchase Inspection Ann Arbor/Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 PM
ljrullman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914 Pre Purchase Inspection Ann Arbor/Detroit

I am a newbie to the forum and don't own a classic (yet). I was at a car show last week and stumbled on a 914 for sale. Called the guy who told me it's 1971 he rebuilt from three cars: no rust, new hydrolic cam and lifters; installed dual carb; 1000 miles since that work. wants $4000; eager to sell b/c into planes now. Price seems low to me. But before I fall in love with a 914 (or Boxter or 911) I wondered if anyone can give advice about the wisdom of a pre purchase inspection? My gut is that it would be a small price to pay ($150?) for peace of mind. I've seen various companies that do a 150 point check but don't think they do such things as compression checks, and I don't assume they are classic/Porsche experts. I live in Ann Arbor - about 45 min west of Detroit. Any advice about whether this makes sense and does anyone know of a place that does this around here? Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM
MikeWhite
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is truly rust free then it is worth 4K in running condition IMHO -- Since these machines are pretty simple from a mech perspective I would focus on the cars actual condition...

Things to know -- Porsche 914s are NOTORIOUS for being rust buckets... There is a place under the battery area affectionately known as the "hell hole" where battery acid can literally dissolve the car - This is the area to start in. If it looks rusty there I personally suggest moving on. The second place to start would be the floor plans -- Have they been replaced? Look for newer welds and also rust. This too is a problem area -- Rust is the devil in these cars. If someone says the car is rust free and it is almost rust free, I would consider this leverage for getting a better price...

Drive the car... Remember this - It says Porsche on the back but you wont be breaking any landspeed records. The cars are SO FUN to drive but they are slower then I expected. In your test drive remember that 3rd gear is where it's at... You can wind it pretty far - In fact I can hit 65 easy in 3rd gear in my 73 1.7.

Other Things to look out for... Earlier models are prone to synchro issues - This can make them a bitch to shift. If it seems to hit first and second easily you may be clear of the issue. My car is a bit of a challenge to shift but I've gotten pretty used to it. I consider it my anti-theft device..

Things to know.. All Porsche 914 leak a little.. Be prepared to put some cardboard under it if you dont want any drips getting on the floor of wherever it is going to be parked. If it is leaking a TON then there is something minor wrong possible. Be sure to check the oil and be sure to keep checking it after you buy the car - These do consume oil.. According to the owners manual .5 quarts every 600 miles. More in the summer and during "performance driving" <--- Which is something these do very well even considering what I have written about the speed.

My 2 Cents
MichaelW
Traverse City MI

My Porsches
1973 Porsche 914 1.7
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

PICS of my 914

PS.. This car is more fun than anything I own or have owned EVER -- Check it out and dont let it slip away if it looks good and runs well.

Quick Reply: 914 Pre Purchase Inspection Ann Arbor/Detroit