Notices

Porsche Turbo Cab vs. Ferrari California Decision

Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
thegratingone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Turbo Cab vs. Ferrari California Decision

I own a 2007 Turbo Cab, and am thinking of switching to the Ferrari California

Looking for advice, pros/cons, any general thoughts.

Possible reasons to switch
- sick of turbo lag
- real hard-top
- have had Porsche Turbos for a while, thinking of trying something new

Possible reasons not to switch
- love my car still
- Ferrari is 2 wheel drive and I live in the North East USA
- I use my Turbo as a daily drive, can the Ferrari be the same?
- My kids (four under 7 years old) ride in the tiny Porsche back-seat and love it, will they fit in the (I think) tinier Ferrari 2+2 back-seat?

Of course, I’m writing this note as I don’t think I know all the pros and cons!!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 151 Posts

If you really want the Ferrari then go for it. To paraphrase Ian Fleming, "You only live twice- once when you are born and once when you own a Ferrari" Seriously, here are the pros/cons as I see it.

Pros: easy its a Ferrari, and even with the big butt it still is a beautiful car that everyone will gawk at and adore. Most people don't "get" Porsches even turbos. If you like attention the Turbo cab has probably been a dissapointment. The handling is likely to be comparable in quality to the Turbo if not the same so you won't miss this unless you drive in icy conditions without winter tires. BUild quality of both cars should be comparable with the Ferrari having a nicer interior and the Porsche being mechanically more robust.

Regarding cost of ownership, I am sure you have calculated the breathtaking depreciation that modern Porsches suffer (50% in 3 years is typical) and the Califormia will do better, say in two years you get bored, if it has less than 5000 miles you probably will not lose much at all.

Cons: If you plan on driving 10k or more miles a year then you will lose much more as most modern Ferrari buyers only seem to liike "virgins". Keeping either on the road will not be cheap but the Ferrari will be more costly. Plan on doing a $12k major service in two years regardless of mileage. Parking the Ferrari will be a nightmare as it will draw a crowd. Recent financial conditions have made new owner Ferrari buying easier. It would have been impossible a year ago as I thought there was a three year wait for a California. There might be an open spot sooner but don't get your hopes up for a showroom car.

The back seat of both cars is basically useless and your kids will soon outgrow either. Not sure what cab has enough room for comfort in the sports car category. An Audi RS5 might be a better choice for a daily driver if you really want to spend more time with your kids before they out grow your back seat.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

the operating expense of the Ferrari will be far higher than the 911...... If you plan on it as a DD then the AWD of the 911 helps due to the poor weather in the winter.... But keep in mind for the price of the Ferrari you could have a new 911 turbo and something else to drive as a DD...

If you want a convertible hardtop that still performs well try a M3 V8...plenty of room and the backseat isn't that bad....far less money too at only $80k loaded minus discount......but its only 2wd...but does have a good traction control system
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have much input other that I have had friends that have owned Porsches that made the switch to Ferraris, It wasn't long before all of them were back to driving Porsches. Ferraris have never been cars that you would drive regularly that's what Porsches are for.

My 2 pesos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Turbo Cab vs. Ferrari California Decision