Notices

Hola!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Hola!

Name's Larry, and I think I'm about to rejoin the ranks of Porsche owners.

I'm new to the 'list, but I'm familiar with some of the Birmingham area Porschephiles. Some of them might even admit that they know me.

I can't make any promises, but I'll make a sincere attempt to be a model citizen.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome.
Any particular model or forum interest you?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Larry L
Race Car

They all interest me.

I'm on the fence as far as my choices are concerned. I'm working with a limited budget this time, so I'll probably go for a Gen 1 Boxster S, a newer base Boxster, an early 996, or my old 968 cabrio.

I've already owned a Carrera cab, a 2.7 Targa, a couple of 944's, and the aforementioned 968 cab. I'd really like to try a Boxster. I can deal with all the 'vagina' jokes.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I'd go with a 968 over a Boxster, but I'm partial to the styling and balance of a 968.

Boxsters are certainly affordable today, no question.
Just be very aware of their 'quirks', like rear main seal problems, oil starvation, electrical gremlins, etc.
Like any model, the first couple of model years were the worst, they always get better. A bit underpowered as well IMHO, unless you go for the S.
Not a fan of the new interior styling.

Given a choice, I'd go for a Boxster S over an early 996 (not a fan of the 996).

Caymans are quickly coming down in price as well, so you may want to consider one of those perhaps...I found them to be a bit crampt inside and felt a bit claustrophobic for some reason, but a nice handling car.

Lots of great forums and technical gurus here on Rennlist....don't be shy.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Larry L
Race Car

Thanks for the advice (and the welcome).

I'd like to have another 968, but only if the guy who bought my cabrio will sell it back to me for a reasonable price. He initially acted as if he would sell it, but he hasn't responded to either of my inquiries about price. I have a hunch that he won't let it go for anything close to book value.

If it doesn't happen, I'll probably try an '05+ Boxster. I don't care for the new interior either, but the new headlight design is far superior to the amoeba version.

The early 996 is tempting, but concerns about repair bills are steering me toward the newer Boxster.

The cheapest Caymans are still priced beyond my budget.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Larry,

Welcome to Rennlist!
With the dropping prices on 996's you should be able to put some cash away for any repair issues, I'd go for a 3.6 996 if possible.
As a format Boxster S owner I can tell you it's a great car and my 01 S was pretty rock solid in reliability in the time that I owned it.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
new914owner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Welcome aboard again.

Quick Reply: Hola!