Notices

Slime tire inflators

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
jameshtaylor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slime tire inflators

Curious if anyone has had real world experience with the Slime tire repair fluid and tiny portable compressor. Do these things really do the job?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

I used once on an old trailer tire I pulled around with my lawn tractor. It was a good temporary fix, but I wouldn't trust it at high speeds on a car.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
JimG
Instructor

My boss swears by "ride-on TPS". It is put in the tire before you get a puncture and a side benefit is that it is supposed to help balance the wheel.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

My understanding of that stuff is that it is only for slow moving tires, like bicycles, ATVs, tractors, dune buggies etc because at high revs it tends to produce the "unbalanced dryer" effect. Wop, wop, wop...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that new P-cars, at least I know the GT2 and GT3 don't come with a spare and only come with a tire pump and a can of the slime stuff. I believe the factory recommends that you have the tire repaired correctly ASAP and have the wheel and tire fully cleaned out of the slime as well.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
jameshtaylor
Intermediate

Well if the factory uses it, or a similar product, it's good enough for me. Thanks to all who contributed.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by jameshtaylor
Well if the factory uses it, or a similar product, it's good enough for me. Thanks to all who contributed.
I have never found these kits to be the least bit of use in practice. I always figure on calling assistance, getting flat bedded to a MAJOR tyre distributor and waiting up to two days to get a replacement tyre - you try getting huge sized ultra performance tyres in the middle of Spain, for example - they have to be air-freighted in from Germany.

The upside is that I have found some fine hotels and great restaurants in strange places.

R+C

Quick Reply: Slime tire inflators