Notices

Porsche EV sales crap out

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 11:23 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The bread and butter new Macan is EV only. Oops...
Old 07-24-2024, 12:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
bye Cody.
Folks here may not have liked how he put things but he is entertaining, is prepared to say what he thinks, and not mindlessly fall behind lobby groups talking points. I for one will miss his contributions.

Last edited by aggie57; 07-24-2024 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
Larson E. Rapp (07-24-2024), Mike981S (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:11 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Folks here may not have liked how he put things but he is entertaining, is prepared to say what he thinks, and not mindlessly fall behind lobby groups talking points. I for one will miss his contributions.
Didn't they say the same things about Jim Jones?
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Didn't they say the same things about Jim Jones?
Pot, kettle, black…..the oil industry would have us believe supporting electrification is a cult when the exact opposite is much closer to reality.
Larson E. Rapp (07-24-2024), Mike981S (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:39 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 55 Posts

If you can't be persuasive without name calling, you've lost the discussion.
Keyboard tantrums on an automotive forum aren't constructive conversations.
Old 07-24-2024, 02:05 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,262 Likes on 2,099 Posts

We don’t need electricity? Over 90% of the world’s population has existing access to electricity, 100% in the US and most of the developed world. We use it for a few basic needs, like cooking, keeping food fresh, and seeing after dark.

I thought EV stands for electric vehicle, does it not?
Old 07-24-2024, 02:13 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 307 Posts

Porsche EV's for the most part are going to be a joke. Taycan? No! 718 Boxster/Cayman? Hell no! It's all stand-up/feel-good nonsense at this point. Hybrids make a lot more sense for the Porsche Market, especially for the sports cars. EV may be a good option for the Cayenne and Macan which are a fairly utilitarian vehicles as it is.

EV's are a very sensible choice for a commuting/utilitarian vehicle. If most people choose them (and they will eventually), they will go a long way to improve our air quality and reduce our carbon footprint.

We missed the boat by marketing expensive EV to the high end consumers, while China is producing EV's for the masses. Oh well.
Old 07-24-2024, 02:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,914 Likes on 5,192 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
Porsche EV's for the most part are going to be a joke. Taycan? No! 718 Boxster/Cayman? Hell no! It's all stand-up/feel-good nonsense at this point. Hybrids make a lot more sense for the Porsche Market, especially for the sports cars. EV may be a good option for the Cayenne and Macan which are a fairly utilitarian vehicles as it is.

EV's are a very sensible choice for a commuting/utilitarian vehicle. If most people choose them (and they will eventually), they will go a long way to improve our air quality and reduce our carbon footprint.

We missed the boat by marketing expensive EV to the high end consumers, while China is producing EV's for the masses. Oh well.
Porsche can't even do high end expensive EVs right.

Lucid has already taken the lead, and lapped the field.
Old 07-24-2024, 03:56 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I thought EV stands for electric vehicle, does it not?
Now you've lost me. You do realize don't you that the majority of crude oil is refined into gasoline and diesel? Over 1/2 the worlds oil industry, in total, supports solely that use. A complete industry exists to enable the distribution, storage, and retail of gasoline purely to support the need for people to get around, it exists for no other reason. If you step back it makes no sense at all, unless as some sort of surreptitious employment scheme.

Once upon a time people used kerosene for lighting. Then along came this wonderous thing called electricity and much of the world switched, not all, and the same thing is happening now with gas powered cars. They're being replaced by EV's in the majority of use cases, there's the normal FUD and noise from those with a vested interest in the outgoing industry but even they are warming to it. Companies like Shell are investing in EV infrastructure while not walking away from their legacy businesses. It takes time to make this change but the process has started.
Mike981S (07-24-2024), Robb M. (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:23 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 455 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Off topic

Originally Posted by Robb M.
bye Cody.
So we are banning people that try to argue factually their points because they are counter to some other people's believe but keep posts that are insulting others? Got it.

Tell me what is wrong with a post like this?

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
False equivalency.

Sure oil is used for lots of things besides being refined for gas. the question being asked is, can we, or how do we reduce the contribution to GHG from automobile emissions.

Nobody has ever advocated oil should go away…but there are other, more efficient ways to propel automobiles than by burning gas (transportation amounts to about 25%of GHG emissions). Electricity is one, and hydrogen is another. But the easy distribution of electricity through the existing and future grid expansions, seem like the most efficient way forward.

What I do believe, that if subsidies for EV’s and charging infrastructure are removed, then so too should subsidies for the oil industry. They are already reporting recipe profits every year, while the EV industry is still emerging, and it has been federal policy, under all adm,inistrations to support new and emerging industries….lest the US loose any global competitive edge - to China. Shall we just concede now?
And tell my why the following highlighted part is acceptable.

Originally Posted by BHSAAA
This was a pretty laughable article at the time. Biden didn’t have a car collection, he had an old corvette….he also had a suburban and a ‘Slade. The Lightning 150 cited didn’t even begin production until 2022 when he was President and didn’t drive anymore. This is dumb and the only thing more stupid than Kamala is politics on a car site.
And to get back on topic: Yes, Porsche's EV strategy has hit a snag (or a wall?) at least from a US market point of view. I am sure that they will find a way to recover from it, because if they don't, then they will go out of business. They are still one of the most profitable car manufacturers, so they should have enough money to adjust their strategy in the next couple of years if needed. If the Macan EV doesn't sell as well, I am sure that they will figure out how to build a hybrid Macan that allows them to sell more while hitting their CO2 fleet targets.
Larson E. Rapp (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:34 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 468 Likes on 277 Posts

Yeah, banning him was not OK, Robb. Not unless he made other posts we didn't see.
The following 3 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
aggie57 (07-24-2024), Mike981S (07-24-2024), TikiLou (07-29-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
So we are banning people that try to argue factually their points because they are counter to some other people's believe but keep posts that are insulting others? Got it.

Tell me what is wrong with a post like this?
That's not the entire picture. Many posts I saw have since been deleted.

I don't know what escalated to being banned, but if you can't be civil here, go find a therapist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Butzi:
George from MD (07-24-2024), Mike981S (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:48 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 731 Likes on 506 Posts

when a person needs two timeouts in a week for doing the same thing, it’s enough.
as to the post quoted above, please use the report button.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robb M.:
Butzi (07-24-2024), George from MD (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 06:10 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 152 Posts

Agree, Big Dog was entertaining as I am sure most here would agree. Really seemed like a guy with a drinking problem and reminded me of some of the alcoholic liberal college proffessors we dealt with decades ago. Disagree with anything they preached and their heads exploded. His MO to a "T".
Old 07-24-2024, 06:15 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 235 Posts

You’ve banned Cody? Shame on you, Mod. He has a point of view which differs from some. Does that include you? He hasn’t shot anyone. Or threatened to do so. Do you simply disagree with his views? In which case you should not be a moderator. Period
TikiLou (07-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche EV sales crap out