Notices

Dauer 962 Le Mans, world's FASTEST street car???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:59 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

this is actually a Porsche, manufactured under licence by Dauer, right? Does Porsche manufacture any of it?

A price would be very interesting. I must confess that I had no idea these were still being made! I want one
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
this is actually a Porsche, manufactured under licence by Dauer, right? Does Porsche manufacture any of it?

A price would be very interesting. I must confess that I had no idea these were still being made! I want one
Dauer makes the cars out of genuine 962s under Porsche's approval, but I don't believe Porsche makes anything in them (to make them streetable).

The excellence article says they go for about a million bucks US...depending on exactly what you want done with it. I don't remember if that includes the purchase of the original 962...but I think so.

Considering how unique they are, I'd say that's worth it. The only sad thing is they are using up historic racing cars to make production cars. But maybe that's not a bad thing...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Wet1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those have to be the sexiest lines to ever roll on four wheels. Man do I love those cars! The 962/956 are just so pretty... oh to hit Lotto!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:41 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't there an outfit in Canada that's making brand-new 962s from scratch using Porsche's blueprints? I know Holbert had improved on Porsche's designs when he was building them.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Wet1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a gentleman named Derek Smith in Canada that has made his own components to build 962's. He doesn't use any Porsche parts other than the engine (which I think is 993 based). All of the components are manufactured by him or by outsourced machine shop, but everything is custom. He does not build complete cars or kit cars for people, but if you have the time and cash he'll sell you what you need to make your own 962. The parts dont come without a heavy price tag, but are available for purchase... "serious inquiries (by "serious" I mean inquiries from people who realize these parts are not cheap, and can afford them)"

Here is a link to one of his photo pages: http://www3.telus.net/962/p2.html

Is work is quite impressive to say the least. I wish I was fortunate enough to be well enough off to devote the time and money to build something like this. The completed cars weigh about 1800 lbs (less than the original factory turbo version) and using the factory 300 hp 3.6L engine it offers a fair amount of get up and go with very reliable power. Since the car uses this common engine, adding more power would be very easy. Anyway, check out his work... it's very !
Old 04-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
The only sad thing is they are using up historic racing cars to make production cars.
That is my #1 problem with the Dauer cars. They were all former race cars with history.

Quick Reply: Dauer 962 Le Mans, world's FASTEST street car???