The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 05:03 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,903 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
For Porsche, jumping straight into pure-play BEV technology for the Macan and to a lesser extent the 718 will be seen as one of the more perplexing business decisions of recent history. The Macan in particular makes no sense as a BEV and perfect sense as a hybrid. (Actually the time to electrify the 718 was when they first introduced it, rather than wasting resources on a new IC engine that was doomed the day it came out.)

Oh, well. Like the Zen monk said, "We'll see."
It was no more of a business decision as adding Gas Particulate Filters or changing PCCB pad composition were “business decisions”. It was mandated by governments.

IIRC the EU 2030 intermediate target was around 60% zero emissions and 2035 as 100%.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:33 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,103 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Frankly, I will be shocked if Porsche and every other manufacturer doesn’t do the same. Plug-ins make a lot of sense. EVs are simply never going to take off.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a6...d%20Last%2030D
Totally agree, I gave 2 BEV's a try (including a Taycan), hated them both.

On our 4th PHEV, never had a bad experience. Current Rav4 Prime gets over 50mpg (would be much more if it wasn't used on long road trips) and does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with every creature comfort you can imagine (fully loaded XSE Premium). The pot was sweetened by the fact that I waited 2 weeks for the car (someone backed out of a car on the way), paid no markups, and got a lease deal that took $6,500 off the MSRP and then I just bought out the lease immediately so no interest was charged. A great, reliable, efficient Toyota hybrid for $47k OTD and I could sell it for more than I paid right now.

Compare that to a Benz EQS that loses 49% after 1 year of ownership (I know apples to oranges a bit, but the EV depreciation across the board is staggering)... I heard a story of an elderly couple who bought one for $135k sticker, drove it for 6 months and wanted to trade it in with 9k miles. The Benz dealer offered $60k. I am going to assume they won't be buying any more EV's.

https://www.motor1.com/news/714685/m...re%20E%2DClass.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:19 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts

"EVs are never going to take off"
Best selling car in the world last year was electric.
Enjoy the view from under that rock.
The following 3 users liked this post by MXA121:
dichael (04-12-2024), miara_bart (05-23-2024), OUGrad05 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 06:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,123 Likes on 5,271 Posts

For Porsche, jumping straight into pure-play BEV technology for the Macan and to a lesser extent the 718 will be seen as one of the more perplexing business decisions of recent history. The Macan in particular makes no sense as a BEV and perfect sense as a hybrid. (Actually the time to electrify the 718 was when they first introduced it, rather than wasting resources on a new IC engine that was doomed the day it came out.)

Oh, well. Like the Zen monk said, "We'll see."
I think the Macan makes perfect sense for an EV.

Exhibit 1 is the Model Y, which is the best selling car in the world.

Who could blame Porsche for wanting in on some of that juice.

As to the 718, or really the entire Cayman/Boxster line, it just makes no sense in any iteration. ICE, BEV, PHEV, or whatever. It's an affectation, at worst, a niche product, at best.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
dichael (04-12-2024), Drifting (04-13-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 07:09 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I'm a big fan of my EV but lets face it, the Model Y and model 3 are the best selling vehicles on the planet because they're pretty much the only EV's that make financials sense for what you get and because they are a gen or 2 ahead of the competition for 'EVness'. BMW has more ICE cars in production than I think there are real options for EVs from all other manufacturers too so it's not like there is a huge selection to pick from. I narrowed down my focus to telsa, an i4, and maybe a used Taycan in about 5 minuets flat when I was shopping for an EV.

When 10% of you population wants an EV (or whatever), and another 10% is ok with it if the price is right, and 2 cars significantly stand out above the rest for EVs, of course everyone is going to pick that over a bmw i7 or a Mazda whatever the heck their EV is. As far as I am concerned anyone buying a Hyundai Kona over a Model Y should probably get checked out for brain damage.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:36 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
"EVs are never going to take off"
Best selling car in the world last year was electric.
Enjoy the view from under that rock.
Yes, but the best selling model Y amounted to only 1.23 million out of approximately 90 million vehicles produced worldwide. Total EV worldwide production in 2023 was about 18% of total vehicle production.
Additionally, China accounts for 456,000 of the model Y's made. China is pushing EV's because they do not have much in the way of petroleum resources and do not want to be relying on imported oil. They have lots of coal to power the coal fired power plants that will charge those ev batteries.

Global EV Outlook 2023 – Analysis - IEA

Electric car sales are expected to continue strongly through 2023. Over 2.3 million electric cars were sold in the first quarter, about 25% more than in the same period last year. We currently expect to see 14 million in sales by the end of 2023, representing a 35% year-on-year increase with new purchases accelerating in the second half of this year. As a result, electric cars could account for 18% of total car sales across the full calendar year. National policies and incentives will help bolster sales, while a return to the exceptionally high oil prices seen last year could further motivate prospective buyers.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:49 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Received 494 Likes on 287 Posts

The Model Y works well for Tesla, but that doesn't mean that Porsche can sell the same thing for 2x-3x the price.

What will distinguish a Model Y from a Macan, at the end of the day? Marginally better handling, I guess...? With EVs, there is no longer much room for one powertrain to differentiate itself from another.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:45 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
As to the 718, or really the entire Cayman/Boxster line, it just makes no sense in any iteration. ICE, BEV, PHEV, or whatever. It's an affectation, at worst, a niche product, at best.
Troll.
The following users liked this post:
The Pinkoboe (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:55 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,903 Likes on 2,207 Posts

The Model Y works well for Tesla, but that doesn't mean that Porsche can sell the same thing for 2x-3x the price.
Is this rhetorical? Don’t think there’s anything in the P lineup you can’t say same thing.

People buy the P car…well because P car. ICE or EV…that won’t change.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
The Pinkoboe (04-12-2024), Unstock (04-15-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:42 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Is this rhetorical? Don’t think there’s anything in the P lineup you can’t say same thing.

People buy the P car…well because P car. ICE or EV…that won’t change.
There's really no reason why Toyota or Honda or BMW or GM couldn't have built my Macan. Those companies don't choose to prioritize weight savings, great handling, and thoughtful driver-centric controls, but it's not as if building a sporty crossover requires any secret or patented technology. There's nothing special about the Macan's powertrain unless you count its propensity for developing $15,000 oil leaks.

Those companies couldn't have built my 981S in a million years, though. That required inspiration if not outright magic. And there's no room for magic in EVs. You press the pedal, and your 4000-pound+ vehicle takes off like a raped ape, and a number on a range display ticks down a couple of notches, and maybe the guy in the next lane is 0.1 seconds ahead of you or behind you... but it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 04-12-2024 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
ldamelio (04-13-2024), Zhao (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:51 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Tesla is sitting on 45,000 cars, I think the competition gap has closed (and then some). They blew their advantage.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Tesla is sitting on 45,000 cars, I think the competition gap has closed (and then some). They blew their advantage.
I dunno, 45k isn't really that much. They produced over a million model Y's in 2023 alone so it's a minor miscalculation on demand. Even in oil country here their dealer lot is still pretty empty for Telsas so they're not really stacking up.

My 5 year old daughter plays count the teslas when we go out and she literally hit over 80 on the highway on our trip back to Kelowna a few weeks ago. I didn't take ours because it was mostly zero degrees at that time which hurts range and it was projecting arriving at charging stations in the 10-15% range so I took our SUV so I assume a lot of other EV owners chose to not take their EVs also. I only saw a few hyundai EV's on the highway and a IX, nothing else for other EVs.

In the city I see hyundai making good ground with EV sales and they seem to be #2 from what I see on the road. BMW is #2 or #3 for my guess. But it is very very rare I see anything else and it is still rare to see a EV bmw or hyundai. I think Teslas improvements on quality with the chinese built ones is helping sales. I know I just recommended a racing buddy pull the trigger on one yesterday because my chinese built one is leaps and bounds above the US built ones I've seen and I really have no major complaints with it for the price.

Last edited by Zhao; 04-12-2024 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:52 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
...on our trip back to Kelowna a few weeks ago.
Former Oregonian here who spent time in BC back in the day. Kelowna didn't ring a bell for me so I looked up - I'll have to put that on the list as a fun 4 hour road trip next time I'm around Vancouver... during the summer
UncleDude (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 05:27 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,535 Likes on 2,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I dunno, 45k isn't really that much. They produced over a million model Y's in 2023 alone so it's a minor miscalculation on demand. Even in oil country here their dealer lot is still pretty empty for Telsas so they're not really stacking up.

My 5 year old daughter plays count the teslas when we go out and she literally hit over 80 on the highway on our trip back to Kelowna a few weeks ago. I didn't take ours because it was mostly zero degrees at that time which hurts range and it was projecting arriving at charging stations in the 10-15% range so I took our SUV so I assume a lot of other EV owners chose to not take their EVs also. I only saw a few hyundai EV's on the highway and a IX, nothing else for other EVs.

In the city I see hyundai making good ground with EV sales and they seem to be #2 from what I see on the road. BMW is #2 or #3 for my guess. But it is very very rare I see anything else and it is still rare to see a EV bmw or hyundai. I think Teslas improvements on quality with the chinese built ones is helping sales. I know I just recommended a racing buddy pull the trigger on one yesterday because my chinese built one is leaps and bounds above the US built ones I've seen and I really have no major complaints with it for the price.
I think you’re being kind there, the company is a dumpster fire right now. My casual observations see a company floundering with a nut case CEO, squandering a market they dominated with poor quality products and a stagnated line up of vehicles. Sure they’re ubiquitous, no denying that and no denying the amazing run they’ve had.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:25 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

The Tesla board really needs to show Elon the door. It's hard to attract and retain key talent with a misguided missile in the CEO's chair, and I think the strain is starting to show. (Cybertruck, anyone?)
UncleDude (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread