Notices

2019 Vanity plate fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 03:36 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Just checked my Minnesota registration of September 2022. Price has not gone up from what I remember decades ago.

Minnesota "Standard Passenger Personalized Plate Fee" = $100

Plates are replaced every 7 years, so the personalization fee in Minnesota averages about $14.29. Personalized plates can be passed on to future Minnesota buyers of the car, just as regular plates customarily pass on to a future Minnesota buyer. I think the seller can opt to keep personalized plates and force the buyer to get new plates just like a person buying a car from other state would have to.

Every seven years, a normal plate gets replaced and your license number changes. For personalized plates, you pay the fee again and the state sends you shiny new plates identical your old ones.

Collector plates are for cars at least 20 years old and cannot be your only car. Some fuzzy car-use rules apply. Such cars are exempt from the requirement to display front plate. There are no renewal fees required and Collector plates have no annual stick-on tabs. Plates are not replaced every seven years. If you pay to personalize your Collector plates, your $100 personalization fee is thus good forever.

DVS defaults to issuing only one Collector plate. I figured that if I go to the trouble to get personalized plates, I want them to show on both ends for my Triumphs. Fortunately, you can request two plates and they issue two plates at no extra charge.

Sidebar: Cars at least 20 years old are allowed to run no front plate even if the car is not registered as a Collector car. It just has to be ELIGIBLE to be a Collector car.

Last edited by FlipE; 04-09-2023 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:42 PM
Vapordan
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

$400CAD, toronto. Moved here from texas. I remembered paying around $50 US and change years ago. Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: 2019 Vanity plate fees